3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #91
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Day 4: Give Yourself Credit
I do pretty well with this, since I've known for a long time that I do better at anything and everything when I encourage myself than when I berate myself. This was a good reminder to do it more and more often. I liked her idea of putting stars next to completed items on my to do list -- so I did that. Yay me! I deserve a star.

Credit for tracking my food for the second day, for measuring smaller servings, and for keeping my calories within an appropriate target range.

WI: -0.4kg, Exercise: +60, 445/1550 minutes for March, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Shepherdess: good job avoiding traps at a birthday party!

KidsLibrarylady: Staying on track during tough times. First, I haven't actually had the particular speed bump of having two sick people at home, and every situation comes with its own challenges. I guess what's worked best for me is to accept imperfection and do the best that I can under the circumstances. I guess I don't really keep on track, it's more of a zig-zag line that I try to keep as close to the track as I can get, in that moment, knowing that I will get back later when the time is right. The big change for me with Beck is that it used to be that when I was off track, I couldn't imagine ever getting back on track. Now, I know exactly where I need to go and how to get there and I'm confident I will make it back. Credit to you for posting and I hope every one is on the mend.

onebyone: sorry you are having such difficulties at the moment, but I'm glad things went well with your family. And I'm glad you find posting here is a good alternative to emotional eating.

Beverlyjoy: yay for an on plan Beck day! Good for you for working it out in advance that you will need to ask for help and getting yourself mentally prepared to do it.

BillBlueEyes: I started taxes yesterday -- and discovered a whole separate project I need to do before finishing them. So, I'll keep you company working on financials today! It's not something I have ever developed gratitude for either. However, I had one horrific time of super-complicated taxes the year after my mother died. Ever since then, my normal tax work has seemed easier, so I complain less than I used to.

ChinaMaine: thanks for sharing your experience with tracking your food -- very encouraging to me right now to know that it's worth the effort.

CeeJay: glad yesterday went well and good for you for planning to plan for your night away.

hikergirl: good for you for getting right back into Beck habits of weighing, posting, and reading Advantages after a slip.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #92
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Default Noon checkin

Hello my BecSis's and -Bro. Catching up on some of your good and sweet news and support.

Hikergirl: Clarity. That is my new intention for the day, thanks! I read your thought just before coming in for a break from washing windows. Between your concept of "CLARITY" and BevJoy's suggestion of writing down three lists about wants, I think I may have some interesting soul searching ahead! Thanks so much for thinking of me. I'm also encourage to see your success with the program. Good insight on the AB-BS (Automatic Beck-Braking System). This is really the key to the whole issue, isn't it, given that we are human and well trained in bingeing (some of us): the real trick is to reduce the amount of binge damage, and then the number of binges, eventually, until we just can't do them anymore for the discomfort. I do believe that time will come.

LambLady (Shep): Woowoo for the leftovers locator (junk to the dump, not junk to the trunk)! You've made the wiser choice. LOL on the organics: "my favorite is the drab olive". GOSH YOU KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT WOOL! I do know merino is spanish for wool. That's about it. And they have a lot of wool production in New Zealand.
Community roots, new, you make me review my choices....yes, my volunteer services have actually been increasing my sense of unrootedness I think: the few dogs that haven't found homes at the Shelter I volunteer at are my favorites--the pittbulls--hardest to place--sweetest human companion dogs you could imagine. (its around other dogs that they get their bad rep). I am impatient that they find homes, though I would not take one unless I lived on an isolated island. Lack of confidence is hounding my choir singing--though one must merely be confident to do better there. My race-relations awareness training group has been painful and unsettling. The privileges that have been taken in the name of the "teutonic race" (sic, from Lapham on Bloomberg radio interview of James Bradley and "The Imperial Cruise:A Secret History of Empire and War") IN AMERICA is overwhelming and greatly under reported. It is also unsettling to me to find out about the injustices of real estate and bank lending and redlining that have occurred since WWII. I'm redefining my own views as all this goes on. And we are in an integrated neighborhood now, instead of the white white white I've known all my life. It is unsettling. Financially risky. But awesome in clarifying and taking a stand.

CeeJay: Thanks for the hug BeckSis! Soul Searching seems to go hand in hand with shedding those last few pounds, or first few pounds, or somewhere along the journey to a more honest assessment of one's self and one's values. Kudos on your successful checklist and 4 grins!

Seadwaters: I support you totally in daily napping! I hope you have the luxury to take them. You need them!

BillBE: A candle will be lit for "Hope begins when we expose our issues to the light". Thanks much. Its a wonderful bright lining to think that HOPE is on the other side of revelations. I definitely feel like I am at a turning point.

ChinaMain: Your good checklist is so encouraging-- sounds to me like you are behaving like a winner. Lacking Sole Control--and soul searching. Nice homonymic play on words there! Must be a connection, a strong connection.

Bevjoy: Wow. Tough call to make on the cake. I think you did the right thing socially. Kudos for that. And then the natural thing...keep eating to re-feel the connection. No shame in that. Next time maybe you'll be able to tell them of your dilemma, and share the cake with them but postpone eating your piece till you have a plan for it. Maybe you can remember that you can "donate" the cake to someone else's pantry to deal with, or to enjoy--hence doubling your pleasure (though not your appetite per se). Thanks for the idea of writing lists of want/don't want/and feasible. WHy didn't I think of that? I'm going to try it and see what it clears up! Cheers!

Eusibus: Hey fellow pianist! And fellow pianist fighting piano butt! It is sure noticable on other pianists, isn't it? I've recently removed mine, but my pianos were in storage! Now I have to get back to practicing and not restore the butt. Congrats on helping the Curtis Institute violinist! They are all winners at that institute for getting in! Look forward to your posts....

More later yinz!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #93
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Day 7: Arrange Your Environment

Coaches/Buddies:
Yesterday was another crappy day. I was just in a horrible mood all day for no apparent reason. I did wake up early and exercise (credit), but that still didn't make me feel good the way it normally would. I was just very anxious and overwhelmed by every little thing all day. My mind was racing over anything and everything.
I did some really good things for myself though. I forced myself to stay home by myself (instead of running to Jim's house the way I wanted to-- that would have just been me trying to escape from the feelings) and I did some writing. I just did some relaxing things for myself like watching junky tv and crocheting.
(credit).

I only ate a small piece of the chocolate raspberry cheesecake my boss made for my Birthday and avoided the temptation to bring a piece home with me to eat. I wanted to do that. I wanted to wallow in my misery but I didn't (credit). I remembered that ultimately that wouldn't make me feel any better. I ordered a yummy salad for myself from a local restaurant and took that home for dinner instead.

Today is going much better... after dropping the kids off at school this morning I took a walk/run which felt great!

I think my mood swings are definitely hormonal (I seem to have an even harder time when I'm about to ovulate than I do when I'm PMS), but I also need to get into a doctor to have my meds reviewed and find a new therapist. I made some calls today to work toward that, but need to make more calls (credit).

Arranging my environment isn't really too much of an issue. I already keep sweets/treats up on the highest shelf for both my kids and me. When I binge, it's usually on "regular" food, not sweets, but it depends. I should probably get rid of some of the treats my parents have sent my kids... oh and the Halloween candy can probably go now too

"Be not afraid of going slowly; be only afraid of standing still." ~Chinese Proverb
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #94

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

So, to add a twist to my question... my departure from my plan isn't accidental when I hit a speed bump. I feel like it is becoming intentional. I am actually thinking about what crap I can eat. Ugh. This is embarrassing. I actually looked up a cognitive therapist to see; I am concerned that my eating is a little too far out of control. Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #95
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did my gym; CREDIT moi. Didn't think of taxes after I completed what I had to do in the morning. Picked up a pint of soup-of-the-day at the new place that I can walk past thinking about a light starter for dinner. It was beef stew with more beef than I've ever had in a beef stew. Really good, but hardly a light weight starter. DW dropped the sweet potato she had planned for dinner to better fit it in.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for too much work. Yay for being needed. Ouch for trying to balance life with work.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay for taking care of yourself instead of berating yourself.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat that you know already to encourage yourself rather than berate; wish I knew that in my gut as well as in my brain.

Susan (hikergirl) - Yay for "I did stand on the scale this morning." - nice distancing from the burden of "weighing oneself."

KidsLibraryLady - Sending supportive thoughts for a rough time. Sabotaging Thoughts swarm in when they sense weakness. Best bet: write down your plan and use your most powerful strategies to stay on it. NO CHOICE can work wonders. Good luck.

Shepherdess - Happy Birthday little calf. Absolutely drooling over "strawberries marinated in balsamic vinegar." What kind of balsamic vinegar did you use?

CeeJay - Yay for being determined to have a plan before the hotel in the city. Yep, taxes feel so good when they're done; not there yet, but the hardest part is over.

midlifecrisis57 - Yep, you do sound like, "I definitely feel like I am at a turning point."

Readers -
Quote:
day 21
The Numbers on the Scale

Before you step on the scale, try not to think, I hope I weigh ____ pounds. Instead, think, Last week I weighed ____ ... Today I should probably weigh somewhere between a half pound to 2 pounds more or less than that.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 172.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #96

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Tuesday

WI-no-weigh-in. Did not read my cards, made a plan. Food – on-plan; Exercise – off-plan (15m).
DH came home late yesterday afternoon () And my new team got our first major deliverable out. One of them lost his hard-drive and had significant issues getting our design tool to work on his under-powered backup laptop. And the second member was pulled off our project for 15% of her allotted time. Both were ramping up on new processes, etc. And we managed to be only a half day behind. Phew! Now it’s time to get planned and prepped for the next deliverable.
I quit at a reasonable 5:45 and we went out to dinner at our favorite Asian restaurant. I had a fresh roll for my appetizer and one order of sushi. It wasn’t quite enough – I was still hungry when we got home. So I had my snack right away and felt fine…
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – credit!
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – yep!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – credit!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Read the pink book – nope
- Spontaneous exercise – yes!

CeeJay Good luck in the city!

shepherdess I’m enjoying imagining what it’s like to see a new born range calf Very nice… Your strawberries sound delicious!

Susan (hikergirl) Ouch for overeating but bravo for not binging! Today is a new day…

gardenerjoy Kudos for measuring and logging your food!

Kim (bennyhannamama) I’m glad yesterday was better than the day before, and hope today will be better than yesterday.

KidsLibraryLady Everyone needs a little help sometimes. If your gut tells you this is one of those times for you, then I’d listen… The good news is that CBT is usually not open-ended; my understanding is that you can expect to be done in 6-12 sessions.

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 03-10-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #97

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beck buddies, coaches...

My plan took some twists and turns in the evening last night - but, I stayed in my calorie range. I am grateful! We got a sample of chocolate Chex Mix in the newspaper. I was going to have it today. But, I substituted it for what I had planned for last night's snack. Hmmm...I wasn't willing to wait. I need to work on that. I did my programming yesterday and it went very well. Folks were very helpful with getting my 'gear' inside. Today I'll go back to the school and do one more program. My back is slowly improving every day - yay.

This morning I weighed and I am down one more pound!!! Four sticks of butter are gone. I reached my mini goal of 219 - so I got to change that to 214.

Credits -
left a bite of food
read arc/rc/no choice - 1 time
made my plan
feel fullness - some of the time
no seconds
ate seated only
gave credit several times
gentle stretches and strengthening
went off plan and got back on right away

oops
no spontaneous exercise
ate some different food than planned
did not read beck book

I hope you all have a great day with much food sanity.

I'll try and catch up on personals when I get home....back providing. Thanks for all of your support. You'll never know how helpful you have been to me.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." - Margaret Thatcher

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-10-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #98

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default I've said it before...

...and I will say it again. This group, our group, my dear Beckies, is the smartest buncha chicks(led by one smart rooster)...on all of this site.

I love learning about wool, and sheep shearing and am very envious of the WY weather you seem to be experiencing, Shepherdess..

Midlifecrisis, thanks for reminding me of the The Imperial Cruise; it was highly recommended to me a cuppla months ago and I spaced it out. Prolly lost the scrap of paper I had written it on due to de-cluttering. *laffin'. I *hate it when I de-clutter something I need!

Kidslibrarylady, re:

"So, to add a twist to my question... my departure from my plan isn't accidental when I hit a speed bump. I feel like it is becoming intentional. I am actually thinking about what crap I can eat. Ugh. This is embarrassing. I actually looked up a cognitive therapist to see"

Beck says the exact same thing!

"The thought comes first. You may not be conscious of it, but you always have a thought before you eat." page 25 of BDS(pink book)

I just realized, we are referring to BDS as "the pink book"..in AA they refer to the "Blue Book"..the main "Bible" for AA. *laffin'.

Beverlyjoy, I picked up the word grateful twice in one of your posts a few days ago. Being grateful is a good thing!

Best to all.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #99
Green Tomatoes

I had one of those frustrating days where half of what I attempted had one more step than expected. For the other half, I messed up something so that completing it took one more step than expected. I wasn't tempted to overeat, but I was keenly aware that I didn't have my favorite coping mechanism available to me and that I don't have a reasonable substitute. So, instead, I was grumpy with my husband. Sigh.

I'm off for a day of volunteering at the Missouri Botanical Garden. At least, I won't be worrying about my to do list, since I can't do a thing about it. My work is indoors in the Archives, but the weather is gorgeous so I'll be taking my breaks on the grounds.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +0, 445/1550 minutes for March, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

KidsLibrarylady: Oh! I used to do that, have a kind of sense of relief and adventure about blowing things so that I had the opportunity to blow them further with worse and worse crap. What stopped me cold was the book The End of Overeating by David Kessler. It got me to make rules for myself that stopped that behavior (My rules: "No eating in the car" and "No eating anything purchased from a gas station or drugstore", but every person has different situations and would need different rules) and the success of that led me to the Beck book. Also, Kessler's book generated some healthy anger at the food industry that made my inner rebel want to stick it to them by refusing to buy and eat their products, a much better role for my inner rebel than the one where she pushed me to eat whatever I wanted.

Hi to everyone else!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-10-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #100

Hi...it's evening and I have a bit of time and a pillow behind my back ...so, I'll try to catch up on some personals.

gardenjoy - I guess being a littlle grouchy is better than eating unplanned food. I hope your enjoyed your walks at the gardens.

maryblu - yes, gratitude is a big part of my life. Every day for the past twelve years I have gotten up and written down five things for which I am grateful. Some days it's easy...some days not so easy. But, it always puts life into perspective. No matter how good or bad things are - there are always things to be grateful for.
I agree about the folks here being wonderful, wise, helpful and supportive.

chinamarie - so glad DH is home....yay. - Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – credit! This is so awesome - you are doing these things so consisitently. MAJOR CREDIT

billblueeyes - doing the gym is great. From a few days ago - regarding asking a waitperson for a recommendation that would be low cholesterol for a healthy suggestion. It's amazing that people are more 'respectful' of someone needing to watch their cholesterol or blood sugar than trying to lose some weight. They are all health concerns - but, I don't think losing weight gets the same respect, if you know what I mean.

kidslibrarylady - I think sometimes when the overeating starts up again that it's like a snowball going down the mountain - getting bigger and moving faster. It's easy for all the Beck stuff to fly out of our brains. BUT - I don't think we can ever stop trying again. You never know when it will 'click in' again. Take a deep breath - maybe get a new beautiful journal and write down all the things you want to accomplish - any of the 'credit' things you think you can do to start again. I don't know if this is helpful. It wouldn't hurt speaking to someone very familiar with cognative therapy - that kind of stuff is always positive.

bennyhannamama - you said you had a 'crappy day'....but, you also had many many credits, too! I agree with you...the Halloween candy can go. It will not be a temptation then.

shepardess - shorts and a tshirt - wowser! You did GREAT at the bday party. Many, many credits. Your first spring calf...very exciting. That's what I love about spring...new life emerging - animals and plants.

ceejay - you CAN do this...plan plan plan for the best while you are in the city.

hikergirl - I am so glad your extra food did not turn into a binge. Hold on tight to what you know can help. Glad you posted.

midlifecrisis - thanks for your support!

Shout out to any one I missed!

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-10-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #101

Good Morning Beck folks, coaches, buddies.

Yesterday was a healthy day with food and life. I am grateful for the willingness to keep trying. My pieces and parts are improving - I am very grateful for that. I've been able to do some strengthening and gentle stretching more each day. It was my last day performing at the school in a small town about 40 miles from where I live. One of the teachers helped me bring out my stuff and put it in the car. It's humbling to ask for help - but, better than not being able to work.

I've been planning a birthday party for my wonderful stepmom. DH and cousins are helping. My cousins are doing the baking and cooking. Not me - CREDIT! I am doing everything else - invitations, flower arranging, making the coursage, getting the 'stuff' for the table, making bookmark favors, coordinating, etc. DH will get her apartment set up for 37 people coming over for brunch - later this month.

Yesterday I used many of the Beck principals...after dinner I wanted to go grazing. I realized it was not hunger - just desire and cravings. I pushed through with a few 'oh wells' and some distractions. CREDIT I am grateful I was willing to do so,

Credits
planned and logged food
feel fullness - some of the time
fork down - all of the time
no seconds - all of the time
gave credit - many times
read arc/rc - 1 time
redid a rc
said "oh well"
gentle stretches and strengthening
left a bite of food - all the time

I just realized that I have mostly not had any second helpings on anything in 2 1/2 months. This is a joyous miracle! Wait - I take that back....you know, the birthday cake incident! Almost no seconds helping in that time. Still amazing to me.

oops
ate too fast - some of the time
no spontaneous exercise
not enough water

I hope everyone has a GREAT day.

Move ticker, move!
Next Mini Goal - 214

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-11-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #102

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Wednesday

WI-no-weigh-in. Did not read my cards, made a plan. Food – off-plan; Exercise – on-plan (34m).
I was very hungry by the time dinner-time came last night and I had 2 servings. And then I did the classic sabotaging thinking – ‘since I already had 2 servings of dinner, it’s okay if I snack in it all night long.’ Even as I write it, I know the thinking is just plain nonsense. Oh well, today is a new day…
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – up until dinner partial credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – up until dinner partial credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – up until dinner partial credit!
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – yep!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – up until dinner partial credit!
- I posted here – yes!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Read the pink book – nope
- Spontaneous exercise – nope
- Used resistance techniques – nope

Beverlyjoy Down a pound to hit your mini-goal! Glad to hear your program went well and that you are feeling a bit better every day…

gardenerjoy Ouch for a very frustrating day, but kudos for not falling back on your favorite coping mechanism. Perhaps it’s time for you to find a new coping mechanism for frustration? Do you have a distraction list?

Bill Hope all is well…

“When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-11-2010, 06:25 AM   #103
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I'm Willy Working Wonk these days. But I'm not eating myself about it. CREDIT moi.

maryblu - Love the quote that a thought always comes first.

ChinaMaine - Sending you good vibes to remember you are more than your work. Humbly begging you to send me the same.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Yep, I always get done in the time I predict - for the steps I predict, LOL. Those unplanned steps take the other 95%.

Beverlyjoy - Yay for an improving back. Kudos for making changes to stay on-plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 21
The Numbers on the Scale

If the number on the scale doesn't go down - or doesn't go down much - and you suspect you've been eating too much, don't waste time blaming yourself and having negative thoughts. Consider what you might be doing wrong and do something positive to solve the problem. Maybe you've become lax about measuring food or counting calories or carbohydrates. Maybe you need to add a few more minutes of planned exercise each day. Ask your diet coach for help implementing any tasks you need to practice.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 172.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 10 years and 6 months
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #104
Green Tomatoes

Food was challenging with a volunteer day. I had a plan for lunch, the quiche of the day with salad (leaving the quiche crust), but it was mushroom quiche and I don't like mushrooms. I got a more decadent entree, I think. I don't actually know the calorie counts at that place.

I have an appointment to have my blood pressure checked and I'm worried it's going to be high since I've had such a stressful week. Oh well. I know that the direction that I'm headed in the long term will help with my blood pressure, maybe help me get off my medication entirely. If I need more help in the short term, then I'll just take it.

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +60, 505/1550 minutes for March, Food: off, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ChinaMaine
and everyone: I have a distractions list. But my brain seems to be a bit broken about this. On a busy, frustrating day, I don't have time for my distractions. Somehow, I always had time to overeat and it was like that time didn't count (kind of like the calories, heh). But to do any of several good alternatives, some part of me immediately says "You don't have time for that." Any tips on a response to that?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #105

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Gave up posting yesterday after several error messages. Oh well. Spent yesterday watching snow fall, so no run. I have run in worse weather, but I just didn’t have the energy. I was sore from pitching hay the day before (giving dh a break). But since I was stuck inside after feeding, exercise was a massive house-cleaning attempt. I am contemplating the wisdom of dirt floors. . .

I don’t know if it was the weather, being tired or just being stuck in the house, but I was fantasizing about snacking. I wanted something starchy—chips, crackers, something. I managed to work on that resistance muscle and stay on plan.

Hikegirl, kudos for getting on a the scale after a less-than-perfect day. It’s tough to eat well while busy, but good job getting those cards back out. Getting back on track quickly is so important.

Gardenerjoy, I liked the idea for putting a star next to completed items. I need to be more consistent about credit. I know intellectually that it would help to encourage myself, but old habits. . . Great job not overeating on a frustrating day. As for being grumpy with your dh, well, one thing at a time.

Midlifecrisis57, wow, you do have a busy volunteering schedule. Glad it is helping to make you feel more rooted. I like pit bulls too, though they can be tough dogs and are so often mistreated.

Bennyhannamamma, sorry about horrible mood, but it sounds like you dealt with it really well. Give yourself lots of credit for that! Getting some alone time can be so helpful. Glad you are feeling better today.

KidsLibraryLady, many of us look for excuses to give up our healthy habits and it sounds like extra stress is your excuse. In CBT, we are trying to break these unhelpful thought patterns and even putting a chip in the old patterns helps. We all need to start somewhere. So maybe, when your life gets hectic, just focus on one small change, like eating a healthy breakfast or something small. Then the next time life gets crazy, you can add another small focus. In other words, work your way up to the point where you maintain all of your good habits when life gets tough. Hope this helps.

BillBE, great job doing what you needed to on your taxes and moving on—to the gym, no less. Kudos for making it through a busy work schedule without eating. Hope it eases up soon!

RE balsamic vinegar: I buy whatever balsamic vinegar looks fanciest. On the strawberries I used a brand called Alessi. It’s from Italy and the label says it was aged 4 years in wood—that sounded impressive. I use about a tablespoon on a pint of strawberries and about a teaspoon of sugar. It’s amazing!

ChinaMaine, glad you have reached the calm between storms. I’m impressed with how well you ate at your favorite Asian restaurant and how you dealt sanely with a post-dinner hunger. Ouch for sabotaging after-dinner thoughts, but good job moving on from a bad night.

Beverlyjoy, congrats on reaching your mini goal! Your 2 ½ months without seconds is really paying off. Glad to hear you are on the mend. I love how you were able to help plan your stepmother’s BD party without getting involved in the food.

Maryblu, waving back. Yep, it’s spring here, which means for the next two months it’s a week or two of beautiful warm weather. Just enough to make you lazy and get us lazy and get our guard down, then we socked in by a big storm. Speaking of smart Becksters, what a great reminder: “The thought comes first.”
Closed Thread