Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

HI coaches and buddies

Yesterday was a good day - I am grateful. I made a new recipe for dinner and didn't taste it until dinner - major credit! I could kind of tell from the smell. If I had really needed to taste it...I decided I would put a tiny bit on a plate and sit down.

We have all we need for the snow storm - should get about 12 inches. If you live in the Baltimore, DC or Philly area - take care. It, however, it's delightful to see the neighborhood kids playing in the huge piles of snow.

I made my NO CHOICE response card. I feel like a big baby - but - I just feel sad about no more spontaneous eating. I know that this is key to learning to live with food in a sane manner - but, I still am having hissy fit about it.

credits - a good beck day
ate seated, no seconds, fork down between bites - yes
mindful of food - tasting it - yes ( I am calling it - talking to my tastebuds!)
gave credit - alot
exercised
arc - 2 times
rc - 1 time
planned food
followed plan
read beck book and made a couple more rc

working on
spontaneous exercise
thinking about hunger - vs - desire - vs - craving

shepardes - reminding yourself that you would care later is a major credit. In regard to moving closer to the calving area - at least you'll know where you'll be and, like you said, will need to do alot of planning. I hope you can still post.

futurefitchick - it's so good that you know you are in need of some quiet time for renewing.

midlifecrisis- It's amazing how one small thing can trigger eating unplanned food later on! I hope your dizziness goes away. I am too dealing with some 50 years of disordered eating - I think that's why now we take it a day at a time.

onebyone - so glad you brought up 'progress not perfection'. I think that's why giving ourselves credit during the day for the things we do on plan is so important. It's hard to be perfect.

nexmaga - many, many credits! - good to see. Glad the vending machines are in the past.

ceeyay- I agree - the thinking constantly about food and eating and then NOT thinking about the food when we eat can be mind boggling and complicated for me. I am trying really, really hard to enjoy my food - maybe for the first time ever. I hope that being mindful and tasting our will help us break this lifelong way of thinking.

Billiebe - I had to 'sign' in for my cold medication too. It's so that people don't buy it in quantity and make meth! Feel better soon...glad you made your deadline.

china marie - again you give yourself credit for eating mindfully and enjoying it - it tells me that it really can be done.

Have a great day!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-06-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #62  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Hi accountability coaches....

another day of slipping a bit: we got a big storm here and my furniture is on a van stuck in Carlisle PA unable to get over the Allegheny's so its been a frustrating day: I've been shovelling all day to try to make room for a 80x10 semi and also, on the other driveway, get the cars out. The snow is heavy by the road, but not too bad otherwise. I'm needing protein for sustained energy and eating beans, beans, beans. But last night there were some peanuts over plan, and today, macaroni wasn't actually on the plan. Frustration, revenge, resentment...the classic triggers for feel good eating. I will go back out and try to focus on getting the snowplowing done and take a nap me thinks. Thank you for all your kind words! I figure once 72 hours go by from eating an addictive food (cheese), the cravings will subside. Only 24 hrs to go! OMG 580 calories in one serving of pizza? I underestimated!
Cheers!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

When dh got home from yesterday, he told me that he had almost gotten a chocolate bar for us to share, but remembered that I was going to have a glass of wine. He didn’t want me to have to make that choice, so he made it for me. Yay for a husband who is supportive. I got more practice with the whole “hunger is not an emergency” thing. Dh got home late and dinner was very late, but I waited. To my surprise, the world did not end and I was fine. While I was doing the dishes after dinner, I realized that I hadn’t had my evening snack since dinner was so late. I decided I really didn’t need it since it was so close to bedtime. Then I tried to convince myself that I really was hungry. Once again, I just ignored it, and guess what? I did not starve to death in my sleep because I skipped a planned snack!

I hope all of you on the East Coast are weathering the storm. As long as the power stays on, I like to get snowed in every now and again. It’s like God telling me to spend the day with a good book and a nice cup of tea. Sending all of you warm thoughts—I know it’s been a heck of a winter for you.

RE questions about the rustic cabin: we will have electricity and running water, though the water has quite a bit of iron and there’s no filtration system; so we’ll still be drinking/cooking with bottled water. The house is just very poorly heated and insulated, so it’ll be chilly. The kitchen is, well, scary. The oven has been re-claimed by mice. So I’ll be back at my own house on occasion to make a casserole and do some laundry. We don’t have internet connection at that house; so posts will be intermittent. We’re too lazy to move a tv and dvd player over there, which is a good excuse to do lots of reading. I’m actually looking forward to that part.

FutureFitChick, ouch for the bad mood, but good job getting to the gym anyways and making good food choices. Hope you get the R&R you need over the weekend.

Midlifecrisis57, hate strengthening that giving-in muscle, but good job getting a plan for next time. I agree that eating enough while dieting is very important—that has been the most significant change for me. Under-eating may have also left you vulnerable to that slice of pizza. Think of all the exercise you’re getting with that snow shoveling!

Onebyone, I loved the OA saying “progress not perfection.” That’s one I need to keep in mind. I’ll keep looking for the article. Yay for being well-rested. And good job only weighing yourself once—you’re right that when you keep stepping on that scale you’re giving it too much power (I’ve struggled with this one as well).

Nuxmaga, yikes, 580 cal for a slice of pizza! I sometimes wonder how restaurants and food manufactures can squeeze so many calories into such small packages. Good luck dealing with those nasty OCD thoughts—they sound like a character from a bad horror movie. They’ve got their hooks in you and won’t let go.

CeeJay, congrats on a successful trip. This should build your confidence for future trips. Sugar can be a serious stumbling block. Kudos for avoiding it and making your life easier.

BillBE, great job finishing your deadline. I hope that it means you can take some time off work and get healthy. I have often wondered about the fitness benefits of coughing. It does seem to work the abs. LOL at calving midwife.

ChinaMaine, if you were paying close attention to your hunger/satisfaction, you may have needed those extra calories. I’m so impressed by those who are able to listen to their bodies. I’ve always had such an adversarial relationship with my body that I don’t understand any of the signals.

Beverlyjoy, good job making the “no choice” card. I had a similar reaction, and sometimes still do, but overall it’s been a relief to put a stop to spontaneous eating (most of the time!). Good luck working on the hunger vs. desire vs. craving. I’m still working at that one. It’s tough, but the more I work at it, the more helpful it is.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Had to postpone the birthday party due to snowstorm and sick three-year-old. She has had two different illnesses this week. We are now both getting over a stomach bug-- keeps the bad eating away! Hears hoping the baby and DH don't get it. That would be terrible. Just wanted to check in!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Everyone:

BillBlueEyes- Glad you are done with your deadline. If you are still feeling terrible on Monday maybe you can take a day off.

onebyone-so 263 eh? Fantastic- even if you don't see it in the next few days, it will be back. Thanks to Beck for setting us straight about fluctuation.

ChinaMaine-yay again for all your credits. And for dealing with your hunger in the evening with an extra 200 calories, not exactly a binge!!!

Beverlyjoy-what a fantastic set of credits. Talking to my tastebuds---I love it.

midlifecrisis57-sounds like a lousy day for you yesterday, hope today was better. We are about to start in a snowstorm that is supposed to continue until Monday.

Shepherdess- Yay for your husband. And good for you for practising "hunger is not an emergency" yesterday. Enjoy your stay at the cabin- sounds like an adventure.

KidsLibrarylady-hope you and your daughter are feeling better and that everyone is on the mend so you can throw the party.

For me- another good day!!

Credit for:

-weighing in
-reading advantage and response card
-checking in with my coaches
-eating on plan and healthy today- steel cut oats and blueberries for breakfast, salmon and salad for lunch, an orange for afternoon snack, and beef, potatoes, squash and green beans for dinner. Evening snack will be yogurt with pumpkin and a few walnuts. Yummy food day.
-walking 30 minutes in the sunshine with my mom and riding exercise bike 20 minutes.
-planning tomorrow's food

Have a good Sunday everyone
Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #66  
Practicing Imperfection

Greetings from Snowy PA!

Well, Philly to the south of us got 28 inches I do believe. We slogged through the snow looking for a lunch place. A diner was open, and the sandwich was gargantuan--I ended up leaving at least half on my plate, credit. Had coleslaw instead of the chips, credit. 3500+ steps, credit. I figure that can be multiplied by at least 2 because of pushing through snow. . .

There's rumor of another storm on Tuesday. Bleah. The trains weren't running and as we walked by we could hear a recording on the loudspeaker telling passengers to take an alternate form of transportation. . .dogsled??
Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #67  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We're throwing a small Super Bowl party tomorrow. So today was about shopping and prepping. We're serving chili mac (with three bean vegetarian chili) and salad. My sil is bringing appetizers. There is beer. That's enough stuff to make it a party but nothing that is likely to cause a binge like Super Bowls past. Yay!

WI: +0.15 in kg, Exercise: +65, 281/1400 minutes for February, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm glad your work deadline passed and I hope you can take time to take care of yourself! I had to quit taking Sudafed due to high blood pressure long before they started the signing policy. I've only done it once to buy some for my sister-in-law who was running into limits trying to buy enough for her whole family. That really did feel illicit.

Beverlyjoy: I'm also still occasionally in mourning about the end of spontaneous eating, or, more precisely, spontaneous overeating. Those feelings are getting fewer and farther between, though. So stick it out! It gets better.

Shepherdess: I'm with you on not understanding my body's signals. It's one reason that Beck is working so well for me -- just plan it. I'm keeping an open mind that maybe someday, far removed from past episodes of eating for reasons that had nothing to do with hunger, I will recover an ability to hear my body.

midlifecrisis57:
be careful with all that snow!

KidsLibrarylady: sending healing energies your way for you and your daughter and immune-heightening energies for DH and baby!

CeeJay: yay for another good day and a long list of credits!

Nuxmaga: good for you for getting out and walking in the snow!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:06 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Red face Sunday - very late check in!

Hi coaches
I have been totally distracted and finding it impossible to get online in the evening. And of course the longer you leave it, the harder it is because there are all those posts to catch up on. I have been looking at them every day and following everyone's progress but haven't got back in the evening to be accountable - and I think it shows in my attitude to food and my diet. So here I am!

Over the past few days since I checked in last: I have been reading my advantage and response cards once most days, reading the Beck book and doing the exercises - probably alternate days, usually staying on plan and making a food plan the day before, there has been a bit of mindless eating standing up - and getting an awful surprise when I realise I am doing it! I found some lemon sorbet in the freezer which I decided to throw out and left on the bench for a while. It of course softened and then I just had to try it and it almost turned into a feeding frenzy - credit that I actually stopped (before it froze my oesophagus) and threw it out . I think I could recognise that as desire because I certainly wasn't hungry and I didn't crave slushy sorbet!

Hopefully from now I can keep up with the postings and my postings again from here
Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Continue with the coughing and feeling miserable. The only silver lining is that I have no particular desire to eat.

onebyone - LOL at "scale lives in an alternate universe." Good luck with your de-cluttering opportunity.

ChinaMaine - Kudos for feeling hungry and not eating.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Wow, 28 inches is a lot of snow. Congrats for slogging through your snow to make it to a diner. Yep, double your steps for sure.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good luck with watching what you eat during the Super Bowl today.

KidsLibraryLady - Ouch for two different illnesses in one week - and a postponed birthday party. May you survive the snowstorm.

Shepherdess - Kudos to your DH for making a sane choice about the chocolate bar. Ouch for a rustic life with mice in the oven, LOL. Hope the ladies appreciate your efforts to attend their birthings.

CeeJay - That does sound like a good food day. When you write "yogurt with pumpkin and a few walnuts," how do you add the pumpkin?

midlifecrisis57 - Ouch for furniture stuck trying to cross the Allegheny Mountains - seem like something from the early 1800's LOL.

Beverlyjoy - I certainly agree; making a new recipe and not tasting it until dinner deserves major Kudos.

seadwaters - Kudos for stopping with the slushy sorbet; I hate it when I fall into something that I've just declared unfit for human consumption, except for, of course, me.

Readers -
Quote:
day 18
Change Your Definition of Full

Break the Connection

In order to lose excess weight and keep it off, you must break the connection between overfullness and normal fullness. To do so, you'll need lots and lots of experiences of eating to normal fullness and saying to yourself, This is great that I'm stopping now. You'll then begin to associate overfullness with feeling abnormal. Once you change the connection, you'll struggle so much less and feel less deprived.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 159.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi choaches and buddies- Yesterday was a good day - I am grateful. I did most everything well. I did eat an unplanned rice cake when I had a bad taste in my mouth from sucking a sf hall menthol lozenge (tastes terrible - did help me to stop coughing).

Today is Super Bowl at our house. I've made a menu that is health friendlly, really. This is a huge difference from the years of a fat/sugar food fest.

My foot/ankle is feeling terrible this morning. I really want to postpone my surgery until September if I possibly can. Lots of ice today!

Many credits -
lots of water
exercise - strengthening and stretches, recumbent bike
I was mindful for every meal and really tasted my food (talking to my tastebuds!)
I took 20 minutes to eat meals and snacks
read arc - 1
read rc
ate seated, fork down between bites, no seconds
planned food

oops - ate that rice cake - not the worst thing in the world
need to move forward in beck book

Today I am going to give myself 2 peices of cornbread at dinner time and only eat one with my chili. I am working on that now.

I hope you all have a great Sunday!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-07-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #71  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Default Gratitudes

Hi ladies and gent,

BillBE: thanks for posting the pieces of Beck: I am just rediscovering normal fullness again after 72 hours of sloppy eating. For the first time since the pizza slip, I woke up feeling my gut in the confines of its pelvic nest, instead of that massive lump that had returned TEMPORARILY to remind me what I was missing in eating off plan! I have been having a hard time because of obsessing about food, but today I feel at peace.
The snow left MIL and FIL without electricity or heat overnight and into the next day so DH generously offered them shelter here and drove down the (sacred) 12 miles between our homes to pick them up and invite them to stay with us last night. I panicked at first when I heard, but CBT to the rescue, decided firmly NOT TO REACT to whatever happened. And I didn't. THough DH urged me to socialize, I just stayed in bed when they came, and then came running down when new neighbors dropped by to visit. MIL was fine, not bossy or nibby, brought dinner (all the stores were closed around here so we'd have gone without!), and they have electricity again so they've already left this morning. Hubby took the hit--he slept on the floor in a sleeping bag and has a sore back this am, but I was comfortable in the guestroom bed (only bed in the house till furniture arrives today). No time for Superbowl, wah, but we'll be getting my 2 grand pianos today--yay! Waiting on the movers showing up now.
Carry on dear fellow Beckies: today's mantra: "I feel full already, don't I? Who says I have to clean my plate? This uneaten portion is going in the fridge for manana."
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Saturday

WI-up 1.3 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan (but didn’t make a schedule). Food – on-plan; Exercise – on-plan (54 minutes).
Once again, we’ve missed the bad weather south of us. After 2 really tough winters, we seem to be having a typical one this year. Our temps are seasonable, and the sun was out yesterday. We have a foot of snow on the ground, so don’t miss the extra snow that is being dumped on the mid-Atlantic states.
We went snowshoeing across the lake yesterday. The properties across the cove from us are all seasonal, so the houses are empty and roads unplowed. We walked down a road until it ended at a major road. The distance was about the same as what I walk every day, but felt like more. It was a lot of fun to break a snowshoeing path, and to walk in the woods though.
When we got back, we got on google earth to take a look at the road we walked, and to see what other one we might try today. We’ll head back across the lake today and go up another road.
The Good
- Throughout the day, I identified satisfaction vs fullness while eating, and I stopped eating when satisfied – credit!
- Throughout the day, I identified hunger vs non-hunger before I ate – yep!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – yep!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – yeah!
- I posted here – yes!
- Read the pink book – credit!

The Bad, and the Ugly
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope

Beverlyjoy Kudos for making an RC for spontaneous eating. Every single day I miss being able to eat when I want (rather than when I’m hungry). But we have to trust that this is a better way to live… Nice for eating, fork down between bites! Have a great time at your super bowl party. Your recumbent bike, is that an exercise bike, or a ‘real’ one? I’m fascinated by them and wonder what they are like to ride…

midlifecrisis Shoveling snow burns a lot of calories. So you may need to add some calories on days when you are doing a lot of shoveling. It sounds to me like you are doing very well under the circumstances. Try to be reasonable, write everything down, and give yourself credit for the good choices you make… Great use of CBT for both food and family challenges! 2 grand pianos – I missed that you are a pianist! Are you a pro? Does DH play too?

shepherdess Yay indeed for your supportive DH. h got home late and dinner was very late, but I waited. To my surprise, the world did not end and I was fine. – lol. Sounds like this resulted in a couple of epiphanies for you! I used to enjoy snow days too, but now that I work remotely, a big snow doesn’t give me any down time. I miss the unplanned downtime… Enjoy your quasi-camping experience!

KidsLibraryLady Hope you all feel better soon, and that the baby stays healthy.

CeeJay Yay for another good day, and for such yummy food!

Nuxmaga Kudos for walking to lunch!

gardenerjoy Kudos for having a healthy super bowl menu – enjoy the party!

seadwaters Nice to see you and credit for posting! Don’t worry about personals, do them when you can… Posting is the important part; I find it helps me to stay accountable to myself knowing I’m going to tell you guys about it all… It sounds like you’ve been doing pretty well though – credit! But ouch for the sorbet…

Bill Rest and feel better…
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Signal v. Noise

Dear Beckies,

We have been chatting a bit about the obsession with food, the feeling of "loss" at not being able to eat when we want, what we want, as much as we want.

Food will always be signal to me and not noise. I don't look for that to change. If I see food samples, I look at them. If there is a buffet, I look closely at it all. *sigh, and Oh, well. I usually indulge, too..with much smaller portions than of old, I mean really tiny portions of lotza stuff, and only the perceived good stuff!

Even after more than 7 yrs. of maintenance, I still love food. I was talking to an acquaintance of a friend of mine last night about my recipe for Sweet Potato Pancakes and Egg Noodles. She looked at me in wonder and asked, "How do you stay so thin cooking like *that?" I mumbled something about the sweet potato thing being totally healthy, the noodles not so much. She was not a heavy person, either, but apparently she is one of those who "watches what she eats".

For me of course, it boils down to eating those things I love, just less of them. That is how I don't feel loss or deprived. It works for me, and I have just accepted that I will always have the love affair with food.

That said, I just reread CeeJays healthy menu for the day, and it sounds mighty fine to me. CeeJay, you aren't *that far away...want a dinner guest? I'll bring the music!

ChinaMaine, I am so envious of you having a DH who is such a good playmate, exercise mate. That compatibility is hard to find. I know some avid X country skiers who leave me in the powder! They can't out dance me, though. What kind of snow shoes do you wear? Do you know anything about those new fangled ones? They look so weird, but I think I could get by with a cheapie kids pair.

Happy Super Bowl day, and post storm day, all.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

A few crackers mysteriously found their way into my mouth yesterday—I’ve got at least one hand that didn’t get the memo about the diet. Not a big deal calorie-wise (and I made up for it by skipping bread at dinner, but it certainly doesn’t help the resistance muscle much. Other than that the day was good. I did skip my run. I was just feeling a bit tired (and lazy). But I didn’t let myself stay on the couch. I did some yoga instead and I think it was the better choice. My shoulders are feeling so much better.

We’re spending the day getting ready for our move. I’ll see if I can get a run in today. . .

KidsLibraryLady, ouch for the snow storm and stomach bug, but it’s great that you’ve found the silver lining. I’m wishing you a healthy household.

CeeJay, yay for a yummy and healthy food day. Your menu sounds great. Great job staying on plan with both food and exercise.

Nuxmaga, lol at each step being doubled when slogging through snow. I think that’s true. Good job eating well at the only open diner you could find. Cold stormy weather always makes me crave comfort food.

Gardenerjoy, your Superbowl party menu sounds fantastic. Love that vegetarian chili! Good job on all that exercise!

Seadwaters, glad to see you posting here again! I agree that coming here and being accountable is so helpful. It keeps my mind focused on Beck and it helps me think through mistakes and success. Sounds like your general trend has been good, so credit for that!

BillBE, hope you feel better soon. In the meantime, get your rest and lots of herbal tea with lemon and honey. At least that’s what I like to sooth the throat.

Beverlyjoy, sounds like healthy Superbowl parties are all the rage here! That’s great that we can find fun, festive foods that work into our diet. Don’t sweat the rice-cake. In the grand scheme of food sins, it was very, very minor.

Midlifecrisis57, ouch for in-laws without power and heat. It sounds like you dealt with it well, giving them a warm place to stay without letting it drive you crazy.

ChinaMaine, your day of snow-shoeing sounds wonderful. It’s so great to be able to exercise outdoors during winter. Good job keeping up your good eating habits.

Onebyone, here is a link to the article I was thinking about. It briefly touches on a few things you were talking about the other day.
http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...eight_loss.php
Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default snowshoes

Maryblu - I'm a newbie at snowshoes. We tried them out at a local ski / tobaggon / snowshoe facility last winter, and really enjoyed it. My nephew works in a outdoor sports store and recommended we buy after the season was over. We did and got ones we really like for $40 per pair. I just checked on Amazon now and see that they are pretty outrageously priced (to my frugal eye anyway). So you may want to try renting a time or two, and then buy a pair in late March or April.
Closed Thread