Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #151  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Back from my big race this weekend and my surgery yesterday. Fighting off anesthesia fog. Everything went well on both events.

Anne
Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello!!!

midlifecrisis57-interesting idea about the rubber bracelets- let us know if it helps. I like what you said: "it's easier to stay on the path if I'm already on it." How true.

Nuxmaga- credit for all you did yesterday. Good that you are back on track! LOL- that made me laugh.

BillBlueEyes-sorry that your illness continues. Hope you do not have pneumonia. Your DW was right to insist you check it out.

Ruthxxx- hi-- good to see you here.

Beverlyjoy- yay for a good day yesterday and another pound gone. Congratulations on resetting your mini-goal. Aren't these 5 pound losses wonderful?

gardenerjoy-good for you for resisting your urges to eat yesterday. I like what you said to bennyhannahmama- about comparing ourselves to successful dieters and maintainers. When I am discouraged I visit the goal forum and check out people who had as much to lose as I do. That is so reinforcing. Also, thanks for the kind words.

wndranne-hope you are feeling OK after your surgery.

For me- an OK day, not great but not a disaster.

Credit for:
riding exercise bike 30 mins.
doing weights
reading advantage and response cards
posting here
weighing in
planning tomorrow

No credit for:
a rash spontaneous decision to join my coworkers at lunch instead of eating the healthy lunch I brought. I ordered fries with gravy on the side and a piece of chicken. Why did I do that? It was just sort of like- the rebellion in me saying "so what, only one meal" and "have been doing so well"...the usual nonsense I tell myself. I ate the chicken and half the fries and then decided it tasted rather gross and if I stopped right then I would not be totally out of the park for the day. I lightened up dinner so calorie wise probably was not a total disaster. So I guess some credit for that.

Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #153  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Day 2: Pick Two Reasonable Diets

Coaches/Buddies:

Pick Two Reasonable Diets

1) Calories In vs. Calories Out using my GoWear Fit and the website to track what I've eaten. No foods are off limits, but I will focus on high-fiber, healthy, whole foods. I will try to incorporate as many vegetables and fruits in my diet as I can.

2) Beck Diet for Life Solution diet.

Commit in Writing

I picked a primary diet and backup diet that are: Diets I can follow for the rest of my life. They are flexible and healthy. I can feel like a "normal" person while following either of them.

__ I read my advantages deck at least twice.
I read the full deck this morning when I woke up. I also read three advantages or thought of three advantages each time I ate today. I forgot each time to do it before I put food in my mouth, but the second I put a bite of food in my mouth I remembered! So, eating was the trigger I wanted it to be, but now I see that I want the thought of eating to be the trigger. This will definitely be tricky, because I don't think I'm aware yet of when I'm thinking about eating (not all the time at least). I will also read the full deck again before I go to sleep.

__ I read Response Cards as needed.
I didn't read any Response Cards today. I'm only worrying about the card that addresses reading the Advantages Deck and I had no resistance to that today, so did not feel the need to read it.

X I investigated diets.

X I chose a reasonable primary diet and a back-up diet.

I really like the idea of thinking of or reading 3 advantages before I eat something. I think I might change the "thinking" to writing. I don't think it's realistic to expect that I will always have the cards with me, but if I rely on just thinking about them, I can see getting too lazy about it. Re-writing a few of them, will probably help. And actually, now that I think about it, I think I'm going to put my list of advantages on my cell phone since I have it with me 99.9% of the time. Maybe I'll put them in little memos, 3 together, so I can just open up and look at one of the memos each time before I eat. That way, no matter where I am, I can glance at it, without anyone even knowing what I'm doing! I like it

Today, I also broke out my Beck workbook. I really like the analogy she uses that learning to diet is like learning to play tennis.

Quote:
... You can't expect to just pick up a racket and win a game. You need a coach, someone to teach you exactly what to do. Having the right mindset is also important. You have to recognize that it takes time, energy and effort to perfect your tennis skills. You have to practice them over and over-- and, in time, tennis will get easier and easier. But you still can't expect to win every game. Even if you're a good player, there will be days when you makes mistakes. Realizing this ahead of time makes it easier to handle your disappointment when you lose a game. Imagine if you had unrealistic expectations: if you truly believe that you should be able to figure out how to play on your own, if you thought instruction and practice were unimportant, if you expected yourself to play exceptionally well every day-- and that there's something wrong with you if you had difficulty...
This analogy makes so much sense to me! Now to remember it.

FutureFitChick:
I agree, sounds like your dinner was a success and that you're setting yourself up for success again-- congratulations for that and Happy Anniversary!
Thanks for your supportive words! That's a mantra I must get in my head, "progress not perfection".

CeeJay:
Good for you for fighting back the sabotaging thoughts about "deserving" to eat something unhealthy-- that's so awesome! You just strengthened your resistance muscle bigtime! Congratulations also on taking care of yourself and relaxing and enjoying your days off.

Congratulations for 20 lbs lost and thank you so much for sharing your experiences with Beck, they are super-motivating!

midlifecrisis57:
Thanks for being what feels like my own personal cheering squad! I'm so happy for you that you've found something that works well to motivate you. Thanks for sharing how the bracelet system works, I think it's a great system.

Nuxmaga:
Good for you for getting back on track! I hear what you're saying about being too hard on ourselves and needing to accept and realize that we're doing the best we can. I think the tennis analogy I wrote about above really speaks to these things.

BillBlueEyes:
I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and hear your frustration about taking antibiotics "just in case". I hope whatever you've got, it gets better very quickly. Kudos to you for continuing to post, even when you're not feeling well. Another great example you're setting for all of us!

Ruthxxx:
I hear ya' on the not reading the whole book. I've been following Beck on/off for over a year now and have not read the whole book (either of them!) I am now. I hope things are turning around for you.

Beverlyjoy:
I love your analog of 4 sticks of butter-- great reminder! Where are you that you're getting that much snow? I'm in MI and it's so weird how little snow we've gotten this winter.

gardnerjoy:
Sounds like you are doing great! Maybe you can think of other ways to help yourself get through the gray days of February. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone in my feelings. I also find what you wrote about making posting the core of your program and everything else falls into place. That definitely gives me something to think about too.

wndranne:
Wow, a big race and then surgery-- you've been a busy woman! Glad to hear both went well. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #154  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation testing and adjustments

Hi Coaches

Well pretty much DH came home and he scale went up 4lbs overnight. Then down two the next day and today's eating was a bit of a free-for-all. We finally could afford to have movie day again, and so at the theatre all my strategies for movie day eats were rusty and I ran scenarios through my head but in the end opted for the Coke and the popcorn. I always got the popcorn and drink but that was before I implemented no sugar January 1st. I think I've had sugar three times since the first and make today the most sugar in one day since the 1st of the year. When DH met me at the theatre he informed me that we got another disconnection notice for our hydro. I just paid $372 a few weeks ago and now there was another one for $176. Then DH told me the good news: he not only got paid but got paid the full amount for a month's worth of work inspite of being there only 2 weeks. I asked him "is it a mistake? Will they take it back? Will you get less next month?" and he said he already cleared it with R who trained him in Costa Rica that "that's the way we do things around here." DH has now got us all caught up on every bill and I still can't believe it all for real. My whole life I have struggled for $. Some months good, some awful, but nothing ever lasted, good or bad, and that was okay as I did what I wanted to do and lived focused on doing art. I am just wary of the big reward waiting for the big loss to be on its heels.
I don't think that's the reality here and I need to adjust my thinking.
I cannot use food for this. It's not about food it's about the acceptance of reality and living a day at a time if I can't cope any longer than that.

So, in the end, we celebrated by going to the restaurant beside the theatre for dinner, inspite of me being full from popcorn and pop. I ordered a burger with 3 cheese and mashed potatoes with gravy plus coffee. When we got out of there we went or a long walk which was extra to my walk already today. We were consciously choosing to work off some of the calories and that was good. But a) I don't like being this full b) I don't like thinking I have "ruined" my weightloss for the week with today's indulgence c) I am worried about using food inappropriately esp. now that money is not really a barrier to doing this d) DH is my eating buddy. we have to re-work some of our patterns. *sigh* We had to anyway but now we really have to or this weight I lost will be right back on.

Persist in victory comes to mind once more. I cannot afford to let go the success I have achieved thus far! I need to guard it jealously, even if it means DH and I are no longer eating buddies. The night after he came home we walked to get cat food and he bought 2 big bags of chips plus a container of cinnamon hearts. I hate those candies but the chips called to me. I was able to forget about them and (credit) had none. DH whisked them away from me but it was easier without him being here to remind me it exists in the world.

Something else I noticed: while DH was away I ate no bread. DH always has his white bread by the coffee maker and it reminds me to eat bread. I'm not a huge bread eater but I do like rye bread. So the past few days I re-introduced bread and all of a sudden I am puffing up and bloating and my weight jumps 2-4lbs. Is this a reaction to yeast? I think I am better off without the stuff. I just never knew that. My body works better without bread. I really don't miss it and jjst want it once in a while.

I'm also frustrated by not knowing what's gong on with the move. Are we moving? When are we moving? Where are we moving? Major questions, not to mention are we bringing the cats? It's possible now if we follow certain guidelines. That's not the issue but do I want to subject them to a plane ride? Shouldl I do this to them? Can I find them homes otherwise? Do I sign on for my market season? Do I send in applications for summer art festivals and shows? It's hard to be "business as usual" but I guess that's all I can do. Well the real thing to do is to get to work on trackoing down the materials needed to prove my ancestry to the british governent which entitles me to a UK Ancestral Visa allowing me to work inthe UK for 5 years. DH and I both have UK grandfathers which makes both of us eligible for this and so this is our next step along with getting the cats microchipped and getting them their rabies shots (req. #1 and 2 for entry into the UK and a good idea whether they come with us or not).

I'm babbling which is a feat given this is the written word afterall.

Focus. Focus. Focus. and Relax and enjoy the ride. That's what my gut is saying... and so I will try to do that once more.

Thanks for reading and listening. Sorry to be so, I don't know, such a wreck btw DH doesn't really get this at all... it's all very real to him... I am also feeling very insecure in our relationship, like I'm going to be left behind. I think that before we both made little money and now he's 5x what i make.*sigh* This is hard for me coaches. I must be going to learn some very important things very soon about myself and my relationship.

Oh boy. "Great."

Have a good evening.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #155  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - The good news from the doctor is that I don't have pneumonia, although it gives me great pleasure to type pneumonia since I learned to spell it in the sixth grade and haven't forgotten. The bad news is that the magic pills won't make the cough go away (although I know I'm to take the full regime). And thanks again for the continued good wishes and for your patience with me firing on only one cylinder here for so long.

Left some potato on my plate at dinner; CREDIT moi. And since I knew that I wouldn't use the leftovers for my lunches and they would head out to feed the worms in our compost, CREDIT moi again.

onebyone - Yay that "Persist in victory" is your rock as you work through all the mental and physical changes this Big Whack makes on your life. Kudos for mindfully thinking through the impact of bread in your life - don't have to have scientific cause/effect reason. If it affects you, it affects you. Sending supporting thoughts as you work through all this. Are you preparing to switch from Canadian English to British English?

Anne (wndranne) - Congrats on your race. Glad to hear the surgery went well. Any chance you can use that anesthesia to forget about unhealthy eating habits, LOL?

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Kudos for coming out swinging - choosing two diets, commit to writing, and reading the whole Advantages deck. Appreciate your Beck quote; that learning to play tennis analogy strikes me, also.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Ouch for wrestling with hunger thinking. I agree that February is a month to be endured; I used to think that Valentine's day candy was its savior, LOL. But keep the faith. We just ordered our vegetable seeds yesterday. After a joyful discussion and memories of what worked, we decided to just concentrate on what works in our own garden. Had to give up sugar snaps as the English House Sparrows have moved in and eat the plants to the ground before the first snap appears.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Yay for a Beck kick to get rolling. The list of sabotaging thoughts listed today just make me shudder realizing how many have crept into my thinking.

Beverlyjoy - Congrats for reaching another mini-goal (is there a reward coming?). And Yep, "Yay- 4 sticks of butter - gone." Glad to hear you only coughed three times all day; I appreciate a little encouragement that this will pass.

CeeJay - Neat that you're celebrating your approach to your 20 pound milestone. Yay for Beck helping you to do that. Big Kudos for coming to grips at mid-lunch to remain mindful of eating for the day.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19
Stop Fooling Yourself

Read the following list of self-deluding sabotaging thoughts and check off those that you've had in the past.

It's okay to eat this because . . .
  • It's not a whole piece.
  • I'll eat it only this one time.
  • It's not that fattening.
  • I'll make up for it by eating less later.
  • It won't matter.
  • I paid for it.
  • It'll go to waste.
  • I'll disappoint someone if I don't.
  • everyone else is eating it.
  • . . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 162.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-18-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beck Buddies/Coaches

I got through another day on my plan - I am so grateful. Last night my foot/ankle was very very painful. I REALLY wanted to eat. However - I thought about the Quadrupal D's from the Beck book - deep breath, drink water, distraction, and distance. I need to think of a way to remember the other anti-craving techniques. ISNIR - I just made this up for Identify cravings, stand firm, no choice, imagine how you'll fee after eating, remind self why. It seems funny - that's how I remember lists of things. I might not have my response card on me at all time.

I skipped ahead in the Beck book to the chapters of travelling and eating out since I'll be away from home for ten days. I made the response cards.

credits
give credit - many times
fork down between bites, eat seated, no seconds - all the time
eat slowly/mindfully/tasting - some of the time
plan food - yes
log food - yes
leave a bite of food on my plate - some of the time
use anti craving technigues - yes
read beck book
arc - 3 times
rc - 2
stayed on my plan

working on
exercise
spontateous exercise
feel fullness

billieblueyes- glad it's not pneumonia! Yes, your cough will go away - eventually. I know you're wishing sooner than later. Hang in there Kudos for feeding the worms and NOT yourself!

onebyone - it's really hard to not know the future. It's so good that you are holding on to your successes. Bread can be a trigger or a binge food for many folks. It's so positive that you are figuring out quite a bit - even as you don't know so much of your future. Hang in there.

bennyhannamama - I am in central Ohio. We lived in Michigan for 23 years in Holt. Our son and his family live in East Lansing. Yes...Michigan usually gets much more snow than Ohio. We've had 27 inches in the last 12 days. Thanks for the quote about dieting and learning to play tennis. It's such a good reminder.

ceejay - kudo's for only eating half of your lunch and rescueing the day. I just did the response card for eating in a restaurant. I think I'll keep a copy of it in my purse - it's so easy to be lured by the food.

wnndrame - so glad to here you are back and the surgery went well. You take care now.

gardenjoy - huge kudos for getting past your desire to eat by using the beck techniques!!! I totally agree that this senario can be frustrating and make one grumpy - but you DID IT and got through it.

Shout out to anyone that I happen to miss.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-17-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Very chaotic couple of days, but wanted to check in. Food is fairly on track and I had to reschedule my workout from this morning to tomorrow or Saturday morning.

Hope you are all well.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #158  
Green Tomatoes

A good eating and exercise day yesterday -- it helped that I didn't leave the house!

Since my muscles were stiff from shoveling snow, I did my Nia DVD. I have to remember to put my cynicism in the corner of the room for the duration so that the quasi-spiritual stuff doesn't annoy me, but it's the greatest workout for loosening everything up.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +62, 908/1400 minutes for February, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

wndranne: Congrats on completing both events! Take care of yourself as you recover.

CeeJay: realizing that a special treat tastes "rather gross" and stopping is a big step! That mindset of remembering to pay attention makes a big difference in the decisions you will make from now on.

bennyhannahmama: it's great to see how well you are starting -- I love the idea of putting your Advantages on your cell phone! And I love the quote you pulled from the book -- needing instruction and practice and not expecting perfection makes sense to me, too!

onebyone: so glad you posted. You are going through a wonderful and awe-ful time. Remember to breathe. So many changes and so few that you can really pin down. Anyone would feel like a wreck. Good for you for still thinking through your food choices and your lifestyle and for posting here!

BillBlueEyes: not pneumonia is good -- feeling better would be best, hope it happens soon! Good idea about ordering seeds, that might be just the ticket for me, too.

Beverlyjoy: ISNIR! That's great! I love when the mnemonic is pronouncable.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #159  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Default Beck Check

Coaches: wow! Everyone is either doing well or having a great (thorough) second start (go Kim!) or having real concerns about real issues that demonstrate how we grow when we put down the food/escape route (1by1). I have been going through the same doubts as you, 1x1, re: changes in lifestyle with spouse and I know how you are feeling. Oh, do I know! That's why my moniker is midlifecrisis! But DH and I moved out of our house in August, and lived with his parents till Jan 29, and moved into our beautiful old antique estate then, and things are much better. We are starting couples therapy next week!!! I'd been seeing the therapist alone since September and today he told me I'm finally ready for the couples counselling part of the program! It is so good to have moved because our marriage is getting renewed: reset, re-missioned. It is soooooooo good. but the journey has been full of fear and pain: all I can say is, it has been worth it to learn to sit with my feelings. I figure, if I can tolerate hunger, I can tolerate other unpleasant feelings as well. Feelings that feel like panic!!!! So Beck is helping me in more ways than just learning to eat right: it spills over into other parts of our lives as well. I can see that in these Beck forum entries: our lives are all becoming richer, no matter where we are coming from: our awareness and sensitivities get better when we are not headfirst in the fridge or the cupboards everytime something makes us uneasy, restless, bored, insecure. We are all becoming more interesting people as we learn to make sense of feeding ourselves, nuturing ourselves, better.

I'm red bracelet today, btw, fighting battle fatigue from the 20th straight day of more snow in a city paralyzed by the sheer quantity of the stuff, unable to remove it all. Back to green tomorrow methinks. I miss my green!

Persevere ladies and gent, persevere!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #160  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,

Tracked food, credit. Stayed under calorie goal, credit. Walked 6200+ steps, credit. I like to refer to February as the "F-Month"--it's cutting into my momentum to do Zumba. Our street has an icy rutted snowpack on it, and parking its a logistical challenge, and I'd rather hibernate and watch the Olympics. Too bad being a slug isn't a sport.

I'm rebounding a bit from the last OCD exacerbation, for which I am grateful. I made a tape of the response card of what I truly value in life, so I now I need to start listening to it, so it gets as much airtime as all the OCD fears.

Bill--Hope you are recovering from your non-pneumonia!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #161  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone

bennyhannahmama-yay for picking your 2 diets. I like your idea of reading 3 advantages before eating. That way you really focus on what you are trying to achieve while eating. I liked the tennis example too- it helped me when I read it. It is all about handling the disappointing days and not using them as a reason to quit. Taking it slow, expecting road bumps and so on-- all the things that have got in my way in my past attempts to lose.

onebyone-it is good that you are taking the time to analyze exactly what is going on with your off plan day. I would add that I know how hard it is to stick to a plan and not eat junk with someone in the house not doing it. My DH weighs what he weighed in high school and he has no trouble packing away the goodies. I do find it hard to have that stuff in the house even though when he buys it I make him keep it in a box in his home office. I still know it is there. I am thinking about banning it all to the garage so I won't know if it is there or not and it will put a bigger barrier to helping myself to it. You have a lot going on right now- maybe your DH will agree to cool it on the junk food.

BillBlueEyes- glad you do not have pneumonia-that's some good news. Thanks for posting the section from Beck on self deluding thoughts. I have been letting them seep into me this week. I have printed it out to carry with me the next 2 days when I have challenges coming.

Beverlyjoy-yay for another day on plan- they are adding up. Kuddos for not eating when you wanted to.

FutureFitChick-food on track!!That's excellent.

gardenerjoy-yay for a good day yesterday.

midlifecrisis57-wishing you the best in couples therapy. I agree that Beck helps in many more ways than just eating correctly. I feel that my life is getting so much better on so many levels. It is very real not to be stuffing myself when I am stressed, worried etc. I am way more focused on what is going on in the moment.

Nuxmaga-I would have a gold medal if slug was a sport!!!Glad you are feeling better.

For me today credit for:

riding exercise bike 30 mins
reading advantage and response cards twice
posting here
weighing in

Not so good: ate toast at bed time last night because I was tired and up too late. Today I ate on plan until I found myself working late and ended up with pizza pick up on the way home. Again I found it as gross as the fries yesterday. I think I have been eating so healthy that the overdose on fat, grease and salt is too much. I have been thinking tonight about what is triggering this--I think I am overtired, I am staying up too late, I am working too late, and I am slacking off on the planning. And I am doing the "I don't care" thing too much.

Tomorrow I have two challenges- potluck lunch at work and then in the afternoon I am ripping into the city for an appointment ending at 5:30. Then Friday I am back to the city. This can easily mean 2 more days off the rails. I am going to make a plan tonight to deal with it and commit to doing what I need to. Either that or my success on the scales a few days ago is going to be gone for awhile again.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #162  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up A good day.

Hi coaches:

Today was a good food day. I resisted eating something that I actually spooned into a bowl right after I got home from teaching class tonight. I put it back deciding it would be there for me tomorrow. Credit. I cooked from scratch. Credit. I ate my meals and had no seconds. Credit. All good. Did extra walking too. Credit.

Another successful beginner's class tonight, our first focusing on painting in acrylics. Everyone did 1/6 of Van Gogh's Starry Night as a colour mixing/colour study exercise. At the end of the night I assembled the 6 parts into the whole and their jaws dropped. (I've attached a jpg of the class results below. Most of these
people have never taken and art class before. I think they're doing amazing.)

Credit! Success!

Thanks for the support and the understanding coaches. I am sure I will need you guys again sooner rather than later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starryclass.jpg (91.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Stayed home as a sick day like I should have during the previous two weeks to spare the world hearing my cough. Spent the day moving little and now feeling guilty for that. You know, feeling like a fraud since I don't have a named medical condition. Howsomeever, CREDIT moi for listening to my body. Actually, I spent a good part of the day reviewing other sections of the document that we released at our deadline, just as I would have done at the office. But I did it in bluejeans and my favorite red plaid flannel shirt so it felt like fun.

onebyone - What a neat composite picture - I can well imagine their jaws dropping when they saw it. Beck would probably tell you to remind yourself that you do good teaching stuff - maybe even make a success card to be able to read the next time that you're hit with the negatives about teaching. Kudos for stopping after stuff was already spooned into a bowl.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - LOL at "Too bad being a slug isn't a sport." Then we could watch it on the Olympics. Ouch for icy rutted snowpack. Only 12 days left in the "F-Month."

FutureFitChick - Waving back. Ouch for chaotic days when it's so much easier to stick to a food-plan and exercise-plan when the rest of the day lines up according to plan also.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Amazing that not leaving the house helps you to stay on plan; it just drives me bonkers. Kudos for doing your Nia DVD with compartmentalized brain - whatever it takes, LOL.

Beverlyjoy - Ouch that your foot/ankle doesn't know that its time for causing pain is over. Just over. Quiet thyselves you pain noticing neurons. Kudos for standing down the food anyway. Thanks for Quadrupal D's and ISNIR. Good mnemonics to remember to use the Beck strategies instead of just reading about them.

CeeJay - Kudos for identifying overtired as your trigger. Interesting that the old brain just doesn't function so well without its rest. Good luck with your forays into the city.

midlifecrisis57 - Yay for "renewed: reset, re-missioned." Ouch for 20 days of too much snow. Love being reminded that our lives are becoming richer.

Readers -
Quote:
day 19
Stop Fooling Yourself

Read the following list of self-deluding sabotaging thoughts and check off those that you've had in the past.

It's okay to eat this because . . .
  • . . .
  • it's just the crumbs.
  • it's free.
  • I really want it.
  • it's a special occasion.
  • I'm upset, and I just don't care.
  • I'm craving it, and I'll probably just eat it eventually.
These thoughts delude you into eating when you shouldn't. After all, a calorie is a calorie, no matter when, where, or why you eat it. You might be able to see how irrational these thoughts are right now. Yet, in the moment when you really want to eat something, you might try to convince yourself that these thoughts are valid.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 162.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile I'm back...

Thanks everyone for your very kind and considerate thoughts and well-wishes. It has meant a great deal to me. Today is my first day back to work. I've tried to take the lead on getting MIL's space and things organized. While it's difficult for me, it would be an order of magnitude harder for DH. I've gotten MIL's space pretty well cleaned and organized. I've washed and packed up all her clothes, and plan to donate them to a local nursing home for veterans. We've donated the wheelchair to hospice, but they can't take the lift-chair since it is made of cloth. We'll see if we can find a way to donate it to someone who can use it... We're still waiting for the pharmacy to come and pick up the hospital bed and oxygen condenser-concentrator, as well as the many extra oxygen tanks we have. Once the hospital bed is moved out of her room, I'll steam clean the rugs. There are a few other things that need to be organized, but the heavy-lifting is done.

We're hoping to have a 'garden party' and invite her family (spread across the country) to join us to plant her garden. We're shooting for Memorial Day weekend (last weekend in May here in the US)

Today is also my first day back on Beck. I haven't gone completely off the rails, but I've also reverted to some old behaviors. I haven't been planning or reading my cards. I have made some meals / snacks I knew weren't reasonable in terms of calories (and just didn't care) and I've eaten past fullness several times. I've succumbed to eating chips and dip almost every night, as well as drinking too much wine.

But today is a new day, and I will make a plan and schedule, will log my food, and begin to get back into the groove. No personals today, I'll plan to do those tomorrow morning.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #165  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's exercise was an hour's walk in one of the finest public gardens in the world, which just happens to be a twenty minute drive from my house. We searched about and found some blooming witch hazels. No crocus flowers yet, but I saw some leaves popping up out of the snow. The southwest corner is the Japanese Garden and it is always pretty in snow.

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +70, 978/1400 minutes for February, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

midlifecrisis57: love your observations including "We are all becoming more interesting people as we learn to make sense of feeding ourselves, nuturing ourselves, better." We rock!

Nuxmaga: thanks for F-month -- very helpful!

CeeJay: good job on realizing that the next couple of days will be challenging and resolving to make a plan to deal with it.

onebyone: the VanGogh painting exercise made my jaw drop, too! You are an amazing teacher! Yay for all of your credits!

BillBlueEyes: "two weeks of cough" is enough of a name for a medical condition. Glad you managed a fun day staying home.

ChinaMaine: glad you're back and doing as well as one could expect under the circumstances. In my experience of these things, it's easier emotionally to do the cleaning and organizing quickly rather than having it hang over your head, so I'm glad you found your way through those tasks and kudos for sparing your husband from them. The Memorial Day weekend plans sound lovely. Take care of yourself -- getting back to Beck seems a great form of self care at this point.
Closed Thread