Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

OK, I’ve been trying to post this for a few days now. Does anyone else have trouble accessing this site? For the last few weeks, when I try to get to this page, I get an unable to connect message that I don’t get on any other site. It takes me a few reloads to finally get the page up (and I have to do that with every page. And for the last few days I haven’t been able to post at all. I don’t know if it’s the site or my connection, which is a bit slow. I’m on satellite, which is faster than dial-up, but not by a lot.

Happy New Year Beckies! I won our running club’s Resolution Run on New Year’s morning. This is the only kind of race I can ever hope to win. Everyone resolves a time and those with the slowest resolution times start, the clock runs backward and everyone starts at their resolved time and those who finish closest to 0 win. I resolved 19 minutes for the 2 mile course and finished 20 seconds after the clock ran out. Our running club earned its name—Windy City Striders. We’ve all been waiting for the wind that always follows a storm and it arrived today. We were out running in 25 mph winds and the trails that had been cleared, though icy when I ran them a few days ago were picking up some pretty big drifts today. But it was a ton of fun to be out running with a bunch of people who also think it’s a good idea to ring in the New Year by slogging a couple miles through snow drifts.

I am still trying to get my eating under control. Apparently my sweet tooth has taken over and my resistance muscle is not strong enough to overcome it. I blame this sudden backslide to 1) I still haven’t caught up on my sleep 2) my house is complete chaos and eating has followed suit 3) my eating got sloppy over the holidays and it’s difficult to get back on track. So tomorrow will be spent getting my house in order, doing some meal planning and we’ll see about the sleep. This is not so much of New Year’s resolution as it is a Beck resolution.

BillBE, neat that your veggies and light dip were a hit in the middle of sugary options. I wonder if that is a sign that everyone is sugared out from Christmas, starting to think of New Year’s resolutions or many people are just more health conscious than we realize. Interesting that nuts are a trigger food for you. Is this a new development?

FutureFitChick, I understand that “last supper mentality.” I’ve been doing the same thing. Good luck on “winging it” during your vacation. It’s always tough when you try to plan but are unable to, but if you keep up the good habits your developing, you’ll be successful.

Patchworkpenquin, yay for a good night’s sleep! I think many of us underestimate how important that is for success. And give yourself a break for not being super-productive on New Year’s Eve day. Everyone deserves a break. Sounds like 2009 was your year to get some serious exercise.

Midlifecrisis57, great job avoiding a craving by finding a more productive way of dealing with emotions! It’s a good reminder that eating to suppress emotions not only sabotages you’re diet, it also sabotages your emotional well-being and relationships.

Gardenerjoy, yay for a scale reading that is lower this year than last. Here’s to continued success in the New Year! Good job putting your advantages and response cards where you will be sure to read them.
CeeJay, great job stopping mid-cookie melt down! I’m impressed that you didn’t let cold weather stop you walk. And yes, you do get credit for moving on after a not-so-great day.

Ruthxxx, kudos for following your plan and doing the treadmill. Skipping the event sounds like a great idea.

Bennyhannamamma, dieting certainly becomes more complicated when you know that you are modeling behavior for children. Most of us probably learned our unhealthy (and healthy) eating behaviors from our parents. But I think it’s all in your attitude. I learned unhealthy dieting behavior from my mother, but her attitude was “I’m dieting because I’ve been bad” and conversely, food was reward for good behavior. I think if you approach it as “I’m dieting because I want to be healthy and live a full, active life” that is a much more positive model for children.

Wndranne, mountain biking sounds like fun! Kudos for a reasonably good day and an on track day following. You may have had challenges in 2009, but I also remember a lot of success.

BeachPatrol, congrats for 12 lbs down! Good job eating well while with family over the holidays. Always difficult for me. Do you have a new diet in mind or are you shopping for something new? Good luck getting back into the swing of regular life. Good job getting rid of all of the junk the healthy way. I’m so impressed. I’ve been getting rid of mine the old fashioned way, eating way too much of it.

Onebyone, hurray for a New Year and a fresh start! You sound so positive and that is great. You’re right that you can spend forever looking for the perfect plan, and in the end, the best answer is right in front of you. Good for you for staying OP even with a craving and for working the craving into your plan the next day.

Welcome LisaK and Spacecadet! Glad to have you here with us. This group has been incredibly helpful on my Beck journey and I’m sure you will find the same—lot’s of wisdom and great advice.

ChinaMaine, good to see you again and happy for your positive attitude! Glad your son loved the gift. It sounds so cool.

Maryblu, yikes for cold temps! Sounds like you guys are getting hit by some serious cold! Stay warm by your wood stove!

KidsLibraryLady, welcome back on the wagon. Do you have any idea why getting down to a low weight freaked you out? Not that you need to psychoanalyze it all day. Sometimes the best thing is just to put it behind you and move on.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #32  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Exclamation Chick Checking In

Hello fellow Becksters, familiar names and newbies--welcome!

My heart is currently going out to our diet buddy struggling with little losses and gains and not seeming to get anywhere. I've spent soooo long in that place between diets: trying to feed the hungry heart with food. But the heart doesn't live on food. Address the needs of the heart first, then address dieting and scales. I don't think we can diet when our heart is not heeded first.

Tough day here: thanks to a longer than normal meeting, the break between breakfast and lunch was over 3 hours--it was actually 7 hours--and by the time we got lunch, mexican joint, it just didn't fulfill and gave me gas. And I couldn't eat slowly and feel satisfied, I was too hungry. Then family dinner was only 2 hours later--so that was kind of whack. It was not a good day for dieting, although I did stay roughly in boundaries of my diet plan it wasn't solid, I didn't feel like I was dieting and I WANT TO! I LIKE TO!

So...to remind myself, I tested my memory of the BECK first 14 days...and I did well! I remembered every step! But when I tried to recall my benefits from memory--I really didn't do that well! Thank goodness we write them down! I found it interesting that I could remember what I've learned from Beck, but not recall my own aspirations by heart. What a people pleaser I am! I must listen to my heart more.

Have a great day tomorrow you all! and to all a good night.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Everyone:

onebyone- I applaud all your efforts to make this year different. I am in it with you!! Yay Brittania Park- it is lovely there. Credit for staying on plan.

patchworkpenguin- about the evening snack. I have one almost every night- I think it is the only thing that keeps me from eating off plan. I eat dinner between 5 and 6 and I would not make it till breakfast. I try to eat about a 100-150 calorie snack.

midlifecrisis57-losing your post is a drag, especially if a long one. Grrr.

gardenerjoy-good for you creating the spreadsheet and getting your "paperwork" lined up.

BillBlueEyes- I am totally with you on saying goodbye to the "happy food".

lisaK- welcome!!!

Ruthxxx- kuddos for following your food plan and getting on the treadmill.

Beach Patrol- major credits for giving away and throwing out the baking. YOU ROCK!!!

spacecadet- welcome to you!! And best of luck on your journey towards your child.

ChinaMaine- welcome back to you.

maryblu- thanks for the tip on the tea. Have not tried Good Earth.

KidsLibrarylady- there you are!!I am glad you are back. Have not been doing so well myself-eating pretty bad during the holidays.

Shepherdess-I have not had any connection problems. Congratulations on winning the run. That is excellent.

For me- credit today for:

Riding exercise bike 30 minutes
Walking 30 minutes (double bonus cause it is so cold out)
Weighing in
Reading Advantages and Responses twice
Eating a sensible breakfast
Posting here

No credit for:
eating an unhealthy lunch

Going upstairs to have a sensible dinner and pack tomorrows lunch.

Take care everyone
Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #34  
Grateful Jr Member BECK

Lightbulb "My LAST BINGE COST ME..."

while we're on the subject, my last binge cost me 40 pounds too, and it took 15 years to get back to dieting! One binge--15 years lost years of struggling and self-flagellation. eegads. the guilty pleasure wasn't worth all that suffering.

Note: I freaked out when I attained my low weight, too--I was angry all the time--like raw emotional nerve endings--I would have tantrums! I think now it might have been a chronic illness (detected later) or pre-menopause, or a lifetime of avoiding conflict catching up with me. This burning urgency would well up and I would stamp around till I tired out. And I couldn't get help. I went to a therapist and said I had anger issues--I recall that being brushed off. And my best friend gave me **** for being thin. And another friend for "changing". But I never really regained my former life by giving up my disciplines. I just seemed to slip farther away from my self.

Things don't always turn out the way we planned when we lose enough weight that old friends don't recognize us anymore in a crowd. But I think that I gave up too soon on my SELF, and that my goals were too superficial to satisfy in the long run. I didn't really care enough about my "emotional intelligence" back then. I just wanted to look good and wear a certain dress size. It wasn't enough to continue to diet for looks alone--the effort is so great. But this time, I'm older and the dress size isn't that much of a concern. I am more interested in peak performance and stamina and resilience. And those take discipline at any weight or size.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with staying on or getting back to program! Dig deep, don't settle for superficiality in your goals and advantages. Your food program should support nurturing your very being, not just your external, measurable dimensions. And if you uncover emotional depth you didn't expect--you've already got some experience with cognitive therapy--get some further expert help expressing them without losing your Beck program. What other choice do you have, once you've discovered that you can adhere to a diet, there is no going back to the life you had before.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #35  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Chalk me up as another Beckstar glad to be back to more normal routines and food. I did well today, it helped a lot that I ate every meal and snack in my own home from my own ingredients.

WI: +0.1kg, Exercise: +55, 145/1400 minutes for January, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

patchworkpenguin: Yay for reading your cards twice!

BillBlueEyes: I am so impressed by your realization that your normal hummus is satisfying while sweet banana bread makes you want more sweet stuff. I love Harry and David pears! At this time of year, everytime I pass their store in the mall we go to most frequently, I check to see if they have any half price ones -- they are ready to eat right now!

spacecadet: hope your walk in the cold goes well. I'm chickening out with a short walk at the mall and an exercise DVD in my warm home.

KidsLibraryLady: Oh boy! Have I been there! I'm so sorry that it's happened to you. I can say from the perspective of having done exactly that a year or so ago, that this time I seem to have stronger resistance. I've been tempted lately now that I've lost enough wait to really notice, but I keep reminding myself what happened last time.

onebyone: yay for saving the white bread until you could plan for it and double yay for realizing you like your Ezekiel bread from the freezer better! Hope your walking and clearing out plans went well.

Shepherdess: Glad you could finally post! I was having problems with this site, but it's been fine for me for several days. Congrats on your Resolution Run win! A group run in the Wyoming cold is a very committed way to start the new year.

midlifecrisis57: sorry for the tough day -- glad you're seeing where you need to touch and remember your own heart more. That should help in all kinds of ways, not just with dieting. And thanks for all the wonderful thoughts including your conclusion "once you've discovered that you can adhere to a diet, there is no going back to the life you had before."
Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #36  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking check in

Hi Coaches

I needed to check in with you so I could post my
credits for today
FOODWISE
-was OP
-ate fruit and veg
-stayed away from sugar'n'snacky things
-drank water
BEHAVIOUR
-no seconds *very tough today. (Shoved a tiny baby corn into my gullet before I sat down to my plate; caught it instantly.) I made a meal I have been wanting for a while and was upset I had to have a moderate portion. Sorry, no exceptions, it's not an emergency. Accept it. No Dr Beck says: we can have more food or we can have weightloss-choose (paraphrasing here) I chose and put the food away, deciding to be grateful that i had it at all. and that there is some for tomorrow*
-walked to the mailbox and back. shorter activity but i did go = credit earned
-cleaned up right side and middle of living room in front of coffee table. found my Beck Workbook!!!! will re-start the exercises in my new journal given to me by the Secret Santa at work this year. I worked imperfectly cleaning the living room/wii fit workout space for 15 min stint a la Flylady.net suggestions. everyday i will put forth a moderate 15 min effort... just like with the food. I also removed the cardboard to the recycle bin at the end of the townhouse complex parking lot where I live. It's always overflowing which discourages me and so it was again. You end up leaving your recycling on the ground where it blows away. That feels crummy but moving it out of the house felt good. I can get right next to the microwave again. Yay.

Off to work at the school tomorrow. Wish I was independently wealthy. Grateful to have a job I like though, and at an art school no less. Good place to keep making things for one such as I who needs to make things as much as she needs to breathe.

Thanks for reading coaches. I promise to get back to personals soon.

ps. the white bread didn't trigger me or cause any cravings, neither did the white potatoes so this is good to know. I still think white bread isn't even fit for the birds. I am mostly triggered by quantities of food. I always just simply want more. That, my friends, is my most major obstacle to overcome plus eating to quell any emotional state! But I shall Persist in Victory chums

Last edited by onebyone; 01-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #37  
Practicing Imperfection

Happy New Year all!

I am surfacing to greet all our new members and my steady coaches. Today I tracked food, credit. Stayed under my calorie goal, credit(after all this holiday craziness, I was glad to have a moderate day), and walked 4000+ steps, credit. I had a revelation on New Year's Eve day which was really helpful. Dh and I planned to eat out, a 5 course dinner, and I was anxious because of eating so many treats already. It occurred to me that when I needed to fast because of my surgery last month, I did it without difficulty because I knew it was important and necessary, so why not think of saving calories for our holiday meal in the same way? Normally at work I eat junk out of boredom, stress etc., but that day I stayed away from it, and saved enough to calories to only go a bit over my goal and have an enjoyable meal. And both dh and I left half our dessert on the plate--every other course was a lovely modest size, but the dessert was as big as my head. . .I'm curious to see if I can replicate this mindset.

Well, off to bed. Hoping to do personals soon.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #38  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hey All!

Credit!
-1.2 lbs
Read ARC once * hangs head in shame* {and I did so well yesterday! Hubby reminded at dinner or I would have forgotten then too!}
ate three meals, 1/2 evening snack
ate mindfully mostly
took vitamin
wore ped ~ 5505 for yesterday.
wrote 'oh, well' card.

Not so much...
Only read ARC once
no exercise, I have exercise planned for every day, if I don't exercise its a 'rest day', but too many rest days a week is bad! I try for 5-6 days a week.

Today was a lazy day with Hubby. Went to church, met my parents for lunch, rolled change jar {$102}, took a long nap. Hubby has been sick with sinus, but woke up feeling normal! Yay!

I cut out my two afternoon snacks to see if I'd miss them and I haven't. I think I will have the 9pm snack instead. Maybe reorganize my mealtimes to fit in the afternnon snack again.

The "oh, well" card reinforces something that I learned from the book several days ago. It may not be 'fair' that I don't get to eat everything that I think I want but...get over it! I'm glad I have a card.

I'm embarressed that I forgot to read my cards again. I was so proud that I had remembered yesterday. Try again tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 231/220/?

Height: 5'2"

Hello Fellow Beckers,
Today is my first day at work following breast cancer surgery, radiation, and the Christmas/New Year Break. The BC is one of my major incentives to lose weight. I've read the Becker books and started to make changes that already lead to a 10 pound weight loss. It's day 1 for me. I prepared my ARCs. Went to the office cafeteria for lunch and realized that it is hard to eat mindfully in a crowded and noisy room. At least I reflected on the problem and tried to put my fork down once in awhile. I'm not quite up for exercise yet but I walked around the building. That's a start.
You guys are an inspiration. You are so nice to each other, funny, and I'm getting alot of ideas from your posts.

Billblueyes I read slate magazine online. Emily Yoffee is a frequent contributor. She has a column called "Dear Prudence".... A modern day Ann Landers... She recently recommended Judith Beck's cognative behavior approach to dieting in one of her articles. It made sense. I googled Judith Beck, liked what I saw, and ordered the books. But.... I havn't been able to find a diet coach. So yesterday I googled judith beck diet coach and found 3FC. I liked what I saw.

onebyone
you did a great job typing with one hand. What do you do when the cat wants to lie on the keyboard?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #40  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Yet another day shoveling snow for exercise; CREDIT moi.

Lunch was very high calories even though not out of control. It was a small private party - the only party at a restaurant that served us six exquisite courses over the afternoon. Each course was small, which I particularly appreciated, and whisked away with its tableware before the next was brought in. We were welcome to stay however long we wished - there was no event or dining after us. It was just one lovely French country dining experience - fresh, organic, local. I'd gain weight if I ate like that every day, but it's on my plan to enjoy that kind of experience when it happens - so technically I stayed on-plan even though more calories than I burned for the day. For the record, I didn't gain weight eating like that; I gained on grocery cookies, ice cream, and vending machine chocolate bars. As a minor compensation, I skipped my morning snack, afternoon snack, evening snack, and even dinner (nearly a first for me). I didn't feel stuffed, but I did feel full which is more than my goal of satisfied. Tasted like I discovered where Julia Child learned to start each dish with a pound of butter.

onebyone - LOL at the white bread whispering into your ear; Kudos for ignoring it. Yay for continuing on your clearing stuff plan. Interesting, "I am mostly triggered by quantities of food" - I have that a lot. I recently read a recipe for balsamic vinegar and maple syrup used to roast pecans that greatly appealed to me until I realized that a major part of the appeal is that I'd make a pound of roasted pecans. This is not what is needed by a guy who has recently twice found his hand stuck in a bowl of roasted tree nuts. Enough to make me again recall your line, "Anything worth fighting fights back."

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Your New Years Eve dinner sounds like a neat experience and "fasting" in advance to have the calories available seems sound to me. Kudos for leaving half the dessert.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Don't think I could make it past a Harry and David's at the mall if they had half price pears, without a few in my grubby little hands, none of which would be likely to make it home, LOL. Yay for normal routines and your own ingredients.

KidsLibraryLady - Ouch for the gain; Kudos for being back, since bouncing back is the most needed strategy to succeed. You could "psychoanalyze that bad boy all day long" or you could write out a food plan for tomorrow and check off each item as you eat it.

Shepherdess - Big Congrats for winning your Resolution Run - that's such a neat way to made a competitive/cooperative event. Yay for the resolution to get back on track. Re nuts: It's new for me to be digging in since I've been on my journey, but before that I ate nuts by the bag full. I still avoid cashews since those were the most frequent offenders, and, fortunately, they seem to have less nutritional value than pecans, almonds, and walnuts.

CeeJay - Yep, Double Kudos for walking when it's so cold.

midlifecrisis57 - Ouch for the schedule whacks; that kind of interruption can make my eating go crazy. Neat thought that we can't "feed the hungry heart with food." I guess it'd be ideal if we all could address the needs of our hearts before we attempt dieting, but it's also possible to use the strategies to stick with an eating plan and exercise plan at the same time that we work on the heart. Either way, it does seem super important to recognize the adage around here, "if it isn't real hunger, then food isn't the answer."

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) - Yay for using the "Oh Well" card as Beck designed it - for getting over disappointment that you can't have something. I, inappropriately, use it for to get over the disappointment that I strayed more than I wish. And Yay for a FREE $102 from the change jar.

lisaK - Congrats on the ten pounds gone before you even hit Week 3 Go: Start Your Diet. I'll track down Emily Yoffee - anyone smart enough to recommend Judith Beck and Cognitive Therapy is OK in my book. Sending supportive thoughts for your healing path. Kudos for working on eating mindfully in a crowded room - Yep, that's a tough one.

Maggie (spacecadet) - We've got cold and snow, but if you're going walking in Sweden in your cold, I'll walk to the gym in mine.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14
Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you do the following:
  • Think about how you're going to get and prepare the food on your eating plan.
    . . .
The Beck Diet Solution, pg 135.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 01-05-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #41  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi everyone!! Im still around and kickin' Fighting the good fight!!

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Last edited by RobinW; 01-04-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 231/220/?

Height: 5'2"

Fellow coaches,
I mentioned Emily Yoffe as my source of info re Judith Beck in my earlier post. She also writes about Judith Beck in Iora magazine. I can't post the links

Just google +"emily yoffe" +"judith beck"

Only a few links will come up.

And if you love dogs and laughing read her book Tales of a formerly reluctant dog owner.

Cheers,
Lisa

Last edited by lisaK; 01-04-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: missed A in And
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #43  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I've had a great weekend. Lots of bike riding, including some time with my daughter. Wonderful day on the trails yesterday, but also a hard fall and a close encounter with a cactus, so I'm feeling a little beat up today.

Eating has been so so. I'm having issues at bedtime after the kids go down. I need to make a plan for that.

Have a good one everybody.

Anne
Old 01-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #44  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Monday & back to work

Hello coaches

I ate breakfast, less than ideal but satisfied protein + carbohydrate needs. I stuck to recommended serving sizes. credit

I'm off to catch the bus. I've aleady tossed staying home until this afternoon but think I'll go in anyway. The sooner I start the sooner I get to leave.

I just heard my mother is traveling back from Key West tomorrow morning. 3 connections to be made for her: Ft. Lauderdale - Atlanta - Cinncinnati - Montreal then a drive home to Ottawa. *crossing fingers there are no snowstorms in the offing* But that's for tomorrow. Right now I need to get to work. And stay OP above all else.

See ya later.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #45  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Strange that today's Beck quote is about prepping food. I have two recipes to do this morning and a new dish for dinner.

Hey, onebyone, I'm just 90 minutes away from you and am an Ottawa girl. What art school are you at? I hope the snow lets up so your mother can get home on time.

Having a long and serious talk with myself about the wine drinking. My dear departed husband had a real European attitude about wine with every meal and I'm trying to break myself of the habit. I may invest in some bottles of Perrier.

My side door is drifted in so I need to shovel and then do treadmill. I hope to make it to the gym this afternoon. "Hope"??? PLAN to go to the gym this afternoon.
Closed Thread