Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #46  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I have to 'confess' to umplanned eating yesterday. Actually, early this morning {1am} . I ate peanut butter on Triscuit crackers. about 10 crackers with about a tsp of PB on each.

Not so much what I ate, but that I didn't care, didn't read my cards, did it willfully, wasn't hungry, didn't even eat mindfully! I ate for the joy of eating something! But was remorsefull right away.

On the credit side, I weighed in this morning at -.4 lbs which brings me to a total of -5lbs.

I feel funny just saying 'oh, well' try again tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone,
The walk in the cold was great this morning. Met up with my fellow American at a park in the center of Malmo. We walked the park, It was snowing but didnt matter...we wore warm clothing and the brisk walk kept us warm.We had coffee afterwards and then met another expat and spent the day shopping! Tomorrow the 3 of us will walk again! We hope to make this a weekly thing...walk for a hour one night a week in the park! Rain,snow or shine....We will be out there!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

midlifecrisis57- like what you said about being interested in stamina and resilience, not the clothing size. Good for all of us to keep in mind- make this about our health- physical and emotional.

gardenerjoy-kuddos for your good day yesterday. I am also enjoying getting back to normal.

onebyone- credit for being on program yesterday. Good for you for choosing to not overeat a special meal. That is always tough.

Nuxmaga-credit for tracking food and walking. Good job on your dinner out.

patchworkpenguin- Congratulations on your loss of five pounds. Never mind about the crackers and PB, done and over.

lisaK-Sorry you have to deal with cancer. And congratulations on 10 pounds gone already.

BillBlueEyes- your lunch party sounds excellent. But you didn't tell us what the 6 courses were. LOL.
RobinW- hello there!

wndranne- sounds like a wonderful weekend with lots of activity.

Ruthxxx- good luck with the wine. Can add on a lot of calories for sure. Probably better to use those calories on real food that fills you up. Hope you made it to the gym.

spacecadet- credit to you for the walking. Sounds very nice to have your friends to share that with.

For me, what a great day. Finally.

Giving myself credit for:

weighing in
posting
reading response and advantage cards
charting food and counting calories
posting to my coaches
eating on plan. YAY.

I am getting back on the exercise bike as I just don't feel like bundling up and walking in the dark tonight.

Take care
Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #49  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking signing off for the evening

Just came here to check in about my day. I stuck to my cold turkey plan and eschewed the sugar even though I really really wanted to grab a pop on the way to the bus to drink on the bus. I didn't do it. It is, after all, sugar. (I long ago gave up fake sugar. credit.) I also abstained from being sedentary building walking into my day. credit. I've also drank my water today and faced going back to work. credit.

So I got some news tonight. Two of my classes will be starting next week: Paint Your Pet's Portrait and Drawing and Painting. Both beginning adult classes.
Yikes. I've never taught before coaches. And I cannot use food to get me through the fear and the stress of this new situation that will stretch me. I am excited but I am anxious as well. BUT I will be so thrilled to add "Art Teacher" to my resume once the 10 weeks go by

CeeJay Kudos on doing all that On-Your-Plan work today.

spacecadet I relate to walking in the cold. What I really want to ask you is how much daylight do you have right now? How far North are you? Credit for walking and for finding buddies and making sure you keep walking.

patchworkpenguin I think you're disturbed more by the "I didn't care" attitude than the actual food. The last time I did this, I was reminded by my coaches that this was a "sabotaging thought". Have you come across this is Beck yet? Specifically that it is really not true you don't care as you have been thinking about this and ruminating about it. Best thing to do: move forward, and if you find yourself in the food at 1am again you may need a nighttime snack.

Ruthxxx I work at the Ottawa School of Art in the market. I don't know where Delta is. Is it near Cardinal? I think I thought you were in Delhi, and when you said 90 min I knew I had it wrong. I hope you did make it to the gym!

RobinW Hey there! Happy New Year! How goes the bathroom reno?

wndranneOoooo ouch for the cactus but yay for the bike ride and for feeling better!

lisaK Hi! Welcome!

BillBlueEyes
Quote:
For the record, I didn't gain weight eating like that; I gained on grocery cookies, ice cream, and vending machine chocolate bars.
Yes. Me too and I can add I also gained by having BIG portions. And sometimes two of them. I have been eating like a lumberjack felling trees in the northern climes who has to walk through the snow to get there then saw them by hand and haul them to the river's edge where he stands on them and guides them down the river. (see here for a great iconic Canadian cartoon ... http://www.nfb.ca/film/log_drivers_waltz/ -- and if you're going to see that this is a personal favorite: http://www.nfb.ca/film/big_snit/)

Better get to bed. see you tomorrow coaches.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

We're frigid here -- didn't leave the house today. Which makes staying on plan pretty easy!

WI: -0.25kg, Exercise: +45, 190/1400 minutes for January, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love seeing all those credits and your dancing carrot!

Nuxmaga: great observation about voluntary fasting to prepare for surgery or a great meal (preference for the great meal, of course)

patchworkpenguin: One of the best things I got from Beck is that things feel more "fair" when I compare myself to "successful dieters and maintainers" than when I compare myself to my warped notion of normal (which is that everyone eats lunch at Hardees and stops by Quick Trip on the way back to work for a candy bar dessert). Comparing myself to successful dieters and maintainers, especially with the great models I have here on 3FC, has been a great cure for the "it's not fair!" thought.

lisaK: yay! for moving at all -- walking around the building is a great start when you are recovering from surgery. That will help you develop the habit so that you will be ready when your body has healed. I'm a cancer survivor, too. Hope everything is going well for you!

BillBlueEyes: Love this "it's on my plan to enjoy that kind of experience when it happens" and that the meal emphasized local foods -- so cool! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!

Hi, RobinW!

wndranne: glad you had a good weekend, but ouch for the crash. Making a plan for after the kids go to bed sounds like a great idea!

Ruthxxx: Hope all went well for you to get to your gym.

spacecadet: yay for walking with friends! The walk I take with my friend has, at times, been my most consistent exercise. It's really nice to have that as a basis for all my exercise.

CeeJay: yay for a great day! I'm with you on opting for indoor exercise -- today it was my Brazilian Dance DVD.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #51  

CREDIT ~
Read ARC twice today!
-.4 for a total of -5lbs.
wore ped ~4520 so far.
took vitamin
got my 'to-do' list DONE!
wrote 'Dieting is NOT Fair!' card {what Joy said!!! } which actually WAS today's chapter.

NOT SO MUCH ~
no exercise
ate off plan for lunch

Thanks for the encouraging thoughts regarding my 'umplanned eating!"

Joy, Thanks for the idea to compare myself to my peers, not to 'normal'. LOL, I've never been very good at normal anyway.

Onebyone, I read your post too fast and thought you said "faked going back to work" LOL! Good job on skipping the cola and getting in a walk. I'm sure you will make a great art teacher. My mom got me involved in Bible study several years ago. I've been terminally shy most of my life and didn't want to face a room ful of strangers, but I gave it a try. Two years later they asked me to help lead a group!!!! I was so horrified I laughed at the poor person who called me! But I said yes. I was terrified my whole first year! I still wonder how I got involved in this some mornings when I don't want to get up so early, go in and face my class. Some weeks I put off my lesson until the last day, but then remember that I'm the leader, I have to do my lesson! But the rewards are wonderful. I've made friends, come out of my shell, and mostly had the joy of sharing what I've learned, too!

CeeJay, Way to get me to focus on the positive!

My vacation is over tomorrow. Back to the schedule! Gotta get to bed early! Or at least not so late as yesterday.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hmmmm.... make that 20 pounds as of this morning (results of my month-long binge.) Guess there were a few pounds hiding from the scale somewhere.

I am taking onebyone's lovely statement- **I'm hitting the reset button and doing what I need to do** to heart and moving on. Thanks for the kind words. They summarize why I love this group-- you make me feel warm and fuzzy. I am backing up just a couple of days on Beck but not restarting. Restarting from day one would make me kookie so I am going back to day 11 tomorrow: Differentiate between hunger, etc.

Read my advantage cards twice-- will have done before I shut my eyes
Ate slowly/sitting down-- nope
Gave myself credit-- yep
Spontaneous exercise- yep
Planned exercise-- yep (following a plan to walk a 5K in a couple of months.)

Planned on doing personals but am hearing a baby crying. Sigh. She slept through the night two days in a row, though. HALLELUJAH! Best sleep I have had in many, many months!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #53  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Normal day with food; CREDIT moi. Normal trip to the gym; CREDIT moi. Did have a working meeting in the evening where we bring and share snacks. I tend to eat more than I wish since we sit at the table with snack food for about forty minutes before it's put away, but most people bring "real food" so I have too much fruit salad and taboule salad (parsley, tomatoes, bulgur). Skipped my evening snack to adjust.

Art Teacher (onebyone) - Congrats for creating the two teaching opportunities. A little healthy fear does help to get things organized. Remember that adults are much easier to teach than kids, basically because they don't ask hard questions, LOL, or think about boy-girl stuff all class. Yep, BIG portions was my history, also. Thanks for the cartoon links. As a kid, I dreamed of riding logs down the river.

Robin (RobinW) - Waving back. Yay for the "good fight."

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for the cactus. Yay for DD time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Interesting that staying at home all day makes on-plan easier.

KidsLibraryLady - Yay for "sleeping through the night" to teach us to be grateful for some things we used to take for granted. The hunger stuff is a great restart place.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Smart to "invest in some Perrier" to actively replace the wine rather than just experience the negative part of abstaining.

CeeJay - Kudos for a great day. First course was Warm Onion Tart with Thyme. Second was Petite Croque Madam Comte, fried egg, bechamel. Croque Madam is a Croque Mousier with an egg on its head - go figure.

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) - Yay for "Dieting is NOT Fair!" And yay for "Oh Well" and on-plan for tomorrow.

lisaK - I googled as you suggested and the first link that came up was . . . your post of yesterday, LOL. Emily Yoffee's writing came after that.

Maggie (spacecadet) - Just love it, "Rain,snow or shine....We will be out there!" I did my end and walked to the gym in the cold yesterday, but don't think Boston was as cold as Malmo.

Readers -
Quote:
day 14
Plan for Tomorrow

Planning what you eat is essential. It helps you do the following:
. . .
  • Remember what you're supposed to eat and when. If you don't plan ahead, you put yourself in the tougher situation of solving problems in the moment. When you feel hungry and look in the refrigerator to eat, you might not come up with a diet-friendly solution.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 135.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Today is a new day...

I have been AWOL, and very fatigued, for quite a while. I did try to maintain my Beck-habits, although I've done little of the core work required to lose weight. I'm sure I've gained some weight, but I'm hoping it's no more than 5 lbs. So here's my report for the last few weeks:

The Good
- Identified hunger vs non-hunger every time I ate – This is one of the things I concentrated on doing before choosing to eat. I did it most of the time, and didn’t eat to feeling overstuffed at any meal.
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – most of the time – credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – most of the time – credit!

The Bad,
- Read my cards – I haven’t done this in weeks.
- Used resistance techniques – this was hit or miss, but I did try so credit for that!
- I posted here – nope, and I didn’t even lurk…
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope.
- Daily weigh-in - nope

and The Ugly
- Make a food plan for each day – I haven’t done this in weeks. Today is a new day…
- Log every bite I eat - ditto
- Make an exercise plan for each day – ditto
- Spontaneous exercise – ditto
So today I really begin my path back to living the good Beck-life. I read her second book last year at this time, today I ordered the 1st book from Amazon and will read that one. I will make a plan, and log each bite. I’ve got an exercise plan, and will see how I hold up in terms of fatigue. I will also get back into the habit of reading my cards, using resistance techniques. I may not weigh-in until next week, we’ll see…
Bill Your lunch of six exquisite courses sounded, well, exquisite. Congrats on not eating past fullness. I find your scale of hunger – satisfied – full – stuffed to be a very interesting one. I always try to gauge when I’m full, and then stop eating. But eating until satisfied is something I’d like to try out. How do you gauge when you are satisfied, but not yet full?

Robin and nice to see you!

lisaK although the welcome is belated. And from the Phillipines, how cool!

Anne Kudos for a great weekend, but ouch for the close encounter with a cactus! Good luck with developing resistance techniques for bedtime eating; I find a sprinkling of No Choice does wonders for me.

Ruthxxx, one by one I want to thank you for sending us your warm Canadian air. Maine is one of the warmest states in the Northeast / Midwest USA because of your balmy January air.

Ruthxxx I guess you’ve started reading the book – congrats! Kudos for prepping food and PLANNING to go to the gym yesterday. You know wine can be okay as long as you plan for it (and then stick to the plan). But the sticking to plan can be hard, which is probably why so many folks forgo drinking while losing weight.

one by one Congrats for another successful day going ‘cold turkey’. And for doing so much planned and spontaneous exercise lately! I found teaching to be very rewarding, although a ton of work, and I’m sure you will too…

Penguin (patchworkpenguin) Kudos for catching your unplanned eating and posting about it here! And congrats for walking over 4500 steps (btw that sounds like exercise to me!) I love your dieting is not fair card – it’s not fair, but it’s what we need and want to be healthy and thinner…

spacecadet How cool you met a fellow walker, and a fellow American as well, in the park. It’s much more fun to have a exercise buddy to walk with! Do you mind my asking what brings you to balmy Sweden?

CeeJay Sounds like you had a great, credit-worthy, day yesterday – Kudos!

gardenerjoy Kudos for an on plan day, and for getting 45 mins of exercise in while at home!

KidsLibraryLady Ouch for the 20 lbs, but you are in the right place, doing the right things – so Kudos! Some of that is likely to come back off pretty quickly as you get back into the Beck-habits. Great job with all the exercise yesterday!

Quote:
Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. ~Anonymous

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 01-05-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #55  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Good Morning Coaches

I'm about to have breakfast but I wanted to check in here before I start my day. I've been weighing myself once a day, as recommended by Beck, and the weight is coming off. At this point I know it's water weight and that is great. I'm not going to dwell on the number on the scale except to say it supports my efforts today.

And what are my efforts for today?

-eat breakfast before I bolt out the door
-get some exercise in, perhaps do a workout DVD this evening
-eat two more meals today.
-no second helpings
-drink water throughout the day
-no sugar today

Special Challenge DO NOT STOP FOR THE MUFFIN AND COFFEE SPECIAL AT THE BASE OF THE ESCALATOR ON YOUR WAY IN TO THE SCHOOL!!!! I will persist in victory.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #56  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Tuesday January 5th

Coaches/Buddies: Still having difficulty committing. It's strange, I don't remember ever being so resistant. Not sure what that's about. Today though, the scale had a # I haven't seen in awhile and I really didn't like it. At this very moment I feel capable of doing this and recommitting to this program and myself. My goal at this point is to keep that feeling alive!

Weigh-in: yes- 130
Exercise: yes- 1 mile run
Read Cards: yes

wndranne:

Hope you had fun playing on your mountain bike. I appreciate your perspective on my post and your honesty. I understand what you're saying about obsessed vs. dedicated, but for me, that difference is really important because of the added complication of having an eating disorder. I do also understand your point about the kids having different rules for alcohol, etc. However, I'm not so much talking about rules as I am just a healthy example. I know many of my struggles come from watching my mother battle food/weight issues her entire life and I would really like to end that cycle. My therapist just lent me a book, "Like Mother, Like Daughter: How Women are Influenced By Their Mother's Relationship with Food--and How to Break the Pattern"

I'm very curious to read it.

patchworkpenguin:
I think you should change your self-talk to, "I'm taking a break today" or "I'm resting today" as opposed to "I'm being lazy today" Now if I could only follow my own advice
Congratulations on all your workouts and how cool that you tracked it!

I think what I've decided to do is the best I can with my "program". It's really just tracking my calories in so I can compare it to my calorie expenditure (I have the GoWear Fit which very accurately calculates the calories I burn each day.) What I need to do is be accurate an honest with my tracking without making myself crazy about it. I don't like when I don't know the exact nutritional information for something I've eaten. I need to let go of that and do the best I can. I know that I will typically err on the conservative side (estimating higher calories, etc.) and that if I do the best I can, most things will even out. Besides, there are many foods that I do know the exact information for and others that I can easily measure. I don't mind measuring/weighing my food, especially if I'm at home and eating on my own. What I don't like is drawing attention to myself in a group situation, etc. I really appreciate the "finished is better than perfect" quote, thank you! I'm using that philosophy on an afghan I'm currently crocheting for my son-- I will try to apply it here too!

Beach Patrol:
Wow, sounds like you did fantastic over the holidays- congratulations!

onebyone:
Good for you! Thanks for the inspiration.

midlifecrisis57:

Thanks for your thoughts on my struggles! I am going to think about what you said. I do agree with you about the need to count portions and I teach my daughter that. When she asks me how many of "x" she can have (usually a treat, cookies, jelly beans, etc.). I have taught her to look at the nutritional information to see what the serving size is. I think that's important to know. I just don't want to be weighing every gram of rice I'm eating, etc., especially if I'm at a friend's house for dinner or something. So, like everything else in life, I'm looking at moderation. I do need to work the program more with the cognitive objections, etc.

BillBlueEyes:
As always, I continue to to appreciate your perspective. It's helpful to hear that you have been successful without actually weighing and measuring. I believe I need to weigh/measure as much as possible when reasonable. That's what I will try.
I don't think I ever thanked you or your DW for sharing the pumpkin soup recipe-- thanks so much!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #57  

So today I wake up and have gained 1.2 lbs since yesterday! I was very discouraged! Now in the past I would have blamed the single snack I had that was off-plan and given up again. This week I went back and really looked at everything I had done over the past two days. No exercise, eating out, watching TV with Hubby.... I think this is progress, looking at the whole picture, not blaming a single slip and giving up. Today's chapter was on 'discouragement'. Appropriate.

BHMama, The Mother/Daughter book sounds interesting. I think you have a point about the 'lazy' comment. My idea was more of 'swinging in a hammock' lazy not 'I should do this, but I don't fee like it" lazy. When I started here at Chicks I got into calorie counting. I started using Fitday, then progressed to Daily Plate. It drove my crazy that they wouldn't have the exact thing that I ate, thus giving me an imperfect tally of my cals. Drove me nuts over time. I was never 'sure'. And to be perfectly honast I found I was 'cheating the system' 1600 cals of junk is still junk.. The measuering and weighing is good but as you said, I can't do that away from home. I wanted to 'permanently fix' my relationship with food, mostly so I don't have to think/obsess about it.

Chinamarie, I like your Good, Bad and Ugly system.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I’m still having trouble logging on. My posts are going to be a bit sporadic until I get this figured out, but I am trying to check in every day even if it doesn’t happen.

Sunday’s Report: Finally a day On Plan! I won’t lie and say it was easy, but I did force that resistance muscle to do some work. I had to get out my advantages and response cards again in the afternoon when I was trying to tell myself that I didn’t care. I’m also back to carefully weighing and measuring everything. I was starting to eyeball my portions, and I have gotten pretty accurate on those things that I eat day to day, like a tablespoon of peanut butter or a serving of trail mix. But measuring and weighing just acts as a reminder before I sit down and eat anything that I am committed to my plan.

I also did my weights yesterday and got some spontaneous exercise digging the truck out of a snow bank while dh and I were feeding cows.

Monday’s Report: Eating was on plan. . .that is until my evening snack. I don’t know why I just couldn’t stop myself. So I had double the portion of crackers I had planned and almost double the portion of chocolate. That resistance muscle was just worn down. I had been fighting eating off plan all afternoon. Read my cards again and was successful until about 8 PM. Oh well, today’s a clean start.

On the positive side, exercise was great! I didn’t feel much like going for my run. It was warm (relatively) and there wasn’t much wind (again, relatively), but there’s still a lot of snow and it just sounded slick and muddy, which it was. I gave myself permission to finish my workout inside if I just did two miles outside. Once I started it just felt great to be outside and I was feeling pretty strong. I did all of my miles and put in a hard effort and came home very muddy but happy.

Midlifecrisis57, I’m totally impressed that you remembered the first 14 days of Beck, but it is funny that you couldn’t remember your own advantages. One thing at a time I guess. It is difficult to diet when you have such a long break between meals. That’s something I struggle with and hope that it will get easier with practice. Thanks for sharing about your struggles once you reached your goal weight. It was helpful.

CeeJay, kudos for getting your exercise, even with the cold, and getting back on the bike is an excellent alternative when you just can’t get yourself to exercise in the cold. And kudos for a day that was mostly on plan, and for packing your lunch to avoid the mistake the next day.

Gardenerjoy, yay for getting back to the routine. Kudos for a good day and for getting your exercise in. LOL that frigid weather makes you stay indoors and on plan. When our temps drop, I just want some comfort food.

Onebyone, congrats on another good day! Good job using your resistance techniques to avoid seconds. I like your incremental commitment to getting your house organized. I need to do that. I always feel like I need to get it all done at once. Congrats also on having classes filled. I know it’s scary, but just prepare and you will do great. Instead of stress eating, put the energy into your class prep.

Nuxmaga, what a great New Year’s realization. It is interesting that we need just the right motivation to resist food. I wonder why it is that I, and apparently many others, have such a difficult time seeing weight loss as enough motivation. Good job on having a sane, yet enjoyable dinner.

Patchworkpenquin, well I think that reading your ARC’s once is a credit and doesn’t deserve a “hang your head in shame.” We all have our moments of mindless eating, but that “Oh well” attitude is so important. It’s already eaten and the best thing to do is re-commit to your plan and move on.

LisaK, congrats on a 10 lb weight loss! Major kudos for getting in a walk—yes it’s a start and a great one. And good job recognizing how difficult it is to eat mindfully in the cafeteria. It is probably one of those things that is going to take a lot of time and practice, but recognizing the problem is the first step. Thanks for the Emily Yoffee recommendation. I’m also a big fan.

BillBE, LOL at “Tasted like I discovered where Julia Child learned to start each dish with a pound of butter.” Great job working that kind of dining experience into your plan and it sounds like you were still very mindful of your hunger levels.

Hi RobinW! Glad you’re hanging in there.

Wndranne, ouch for the fall and close encounter with the cactus, but yay for the fun exercise outdoors and time with your daughter. Good for you for recognizing a weak spot and working on it.

Ruthxxx, sounds like shoveling snow is helping everyone get a bit of extra exercise. ‘Tis the season. Wine is also a weakness of mine. DH and I had wine most nights out of the week. It was a glass while cooking, a glass with dinner, and a glass after dinner to sip on until bed. Before Christmas, I had limited the habit to two, and sometimes three nights a week, which had been working well for me. I let myself slide last week, but I’m back to the old schedule.

Spacecadet, it’s great that you’ve found a group to walk with. It’s so helpful for the motivation. Your walk in the snow sounds lovely, and you’re right that the exercise is doable if you dress for it.

KidsLibraryLady, don’t get discouraged by the number on the scale. Yes, maybe you gained 20 lbs, but also remember that that might be a few lbs of water weight. My weight can sometimes change pretty drastically day to day because of water. But whatever the scale says, does it change your commitment to get back on the program and take care of yourself again? And I think your plan of going back, but not to the very start is a good idea. Just go back to what where you got stuck.

ChinaMaine, it sounds like you’re on a good start to getting back to Beck. And even though you were not practicing all of your Beck skills over your break, I am impressed how many you managed to keep up. Eating mindfully and identifying your hunger levels seems to have become second nature. That’s impressive and shows a lot of great work.

Bennyhannamamma, it looks like you and I are in the same boat, in that we both find re-committing difficult. I also have a difficult time when I don’t know the exact calorie count of every item I eat. Like you, I’ve struggled with eating disorders in the past and have had what my psychologist sister calls “disordered eating” all of my adult life. I’m always impressed with those on this site who are more intuitive about their eating. That’s my ultimate goal and for me, the Beck program is more about dealing with that than it is the numbers on the scale (though seeing them drop is a fantastic bonus).
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 220/220/175

Height: 5'5

Billblueeyes- Boston is much colder then Malmo! The coldest its been here so far this winter is 4F...Now northern sweden is another story!! There is REALLY cold!!! -10F is what they are used to. Malmö is balmy to them!

ChinaMaine - My hubby brings me to balmy sweden. He is swedish and we moved here from sunny California in 2005

onebyone- I live in Malmo in the south of sweden. Its called the florida of sweden...In the winter the sun is up from about 8 till 4...Its not bad...Took me a few years to ajdust! Way up north in sweden they have no or little sunlight in the winter.....But the summer makes up for it with sunshine from 4 am to 11pm!
The high today was right at freezing and the coldest its been with the windchill is 4F

My walking buddies and I had to walk on our own because the snow plows didn't make it out to the burbs until well past noon....So the dog and I went down to the beach and walked along the frozen marsh lands for over a hour! We got about 2 inches of snow over night and its been very cold since before Christmas in the teens and 20's F...my dog had fun playing on the ice and I tried to keep him moving since the pup is a boy and has to sniff and piss on everything!

I really hungry in the daytime and are finding it VERY hard to not want to eat. Im still waiting for my Beck Diet book to come in the mail. Ive been trying to distract myself with reading and watching movies....I think that tomorrow I might take a walk when the hunger starts.

My hubby is doing weight watchers and we are having a contest on who can lose the most weight in a month.....I will WIN!!!

Last edited by spacecadet; 01-05-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #60  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hi BECKstars!!!!

Ruthxxx ~
I believe shoveling snow is MUCH exercise, so YAY you! - and did you make it to the treadmill and gym?

pwpenguin ~ So you "didn't care/didn't read the cards/wasn't hungry/ etc." and you ate for the joy of eating. But did you see something there? "WAS REMORSEFUL RIGHT AWAY". For me, that is the Big Kahuna of this dieting thing. Somewhere in BECK (can't remember exactly where) she tells us that we are to RECOGNIZE that as a CRAVING and not as hunger. I have even been known to say it out loud: "OK, I know, I'm NOT hungry, but I am CRAVING this..." and somehow that helps me either ignore the craving, or not eat AS MUCH of that particular food.

And congrats on your NEGATIVE 5 lbs!!!!

spacecadet ~ Major kudos for walking in the cold! When it's really cold out, I find myself myself being a wimp & refusing to walk... but I try to get in some other kind of exercise to make up for it. I'm trying to train myself to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning and do some yoga or T-tapp or something, but so far, no joy.

CeeJay ~
YAY for your great day!!!! You're doing it!

onebyone ~ Way to go with your "cold turkey" plan! - That sugar thing is SO HARD to quit... I didn't have any luck w/that myself yesterday (TWO cupcakes! argh!!!!) and WOO HOO for abstaining from being sedentary AND for drinking your water!!!

gardenerjoy ~
...uh, YAY for the frigid weather? -hey! whatever helps ya stay on plan, I always say!!!

ChinaMaine ~ Sorry you've been feeling fatigued! - it's SO MUCH HARDER to diet & exercise when you're tired as all get-out! I hate it when I feel like that! ...
But YAY YOU for identifying your hunger vs. not-hungry and for eating mindfully & enjoying it!

bhmama ~ YIPPEE for your weigh-in, exercise & card reading! (dancing broccoli just for you!!!) I'm sorry you feel you have trouble "committing" this go-round. I never have trouble committing! I only have trouble STAYING committed...

shepherdess ~
It's GOOD that you're back to weighing & measuring... even tho eye-balling it can sometimes be easy, sometimes we DO go a bit overboard. I occasionally weigh/measure too, just helps stay on track when "my eyes are bigger than my stomach...."

And of course YIPPEE for doing your weights & getting some spontaneous exercise, too!

And last but not least.... Bill!!! ~
Congrats for your "normal day" with food & gym! And for skipping that evening snack to "adjust"! I think that's the true secret to weight loss.... ADJUSTING!

AS FOR ME... I ate on plan yesterday - PLUS (ugh) ...I was bad yesterday with the sugar. Some WELL MEANING PERSON () brought cupcakes AND left over b'day cake to work. I was fine - no cravings! - until I SAW them. So I thought... well, I don't have a morning snack OR an afternoon snack planned for today... ONE little itty-bitty teensy-tiny cupcake won't hurt!.... and that one turned into TWO and THEN I even had a piece of left over b'day cake! (But! a little silver lining of credit in the dark cloud of sugar!!! ... I licked off the icing & threw out the "cake" part"... helped that it was kinda old & dry... heh!)

I didn't exercise (walk) yesterday... it's too cold to "get out there"... so I'd planned to exercise when I got home from work, but my DH had a raging migraine, and I didn't want to make any noise to disturb him. I SHOULD have done Yoga or something else that was quiet, but I did nothing.

So ... plan for today... STAY away from sugar as much as humanly possible! - AND... will work out tonight at home with a DVD or ride my recumbent bike.

EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 01-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Closed Thread