Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 306/301/150

Height: 5'7"

Question Curious... how do you KNOW?

Hello everyone... I started induction on 7/20/16. The first few days were kind of shaky because I started before I was really prepared as far as meals and snacks... and I ate out once.. but tried to make good choices.

Anyway, I've heard people talk about induction 'flu' which I did not experience.. which is good, unless my carbs aren't low enough.... and I've also heard people talk about some 'euphoria' feeling.. which I haven't experienced either. And I haven't gotten my 'surge' of energy. Am I overthinking this? lol

I've lost 9-10 lbs, it's fluctuated a bit, which I'm delighted with. But how do you KNOW if you are burning fat? Aside from buying keto sticks, is there any way to know?

Thanks all!
Pinkhorseofcourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Atkins doesn't magically burn fat if you do it right. If you are losing weight, you are doing great. People have different reactions to different diets. Some people have an easier time with low carb than others. I'm a lucky energy surge one. You at least don't have the flu, which is great.

Are you working out? That could help make sure that most of your loss is fat and not muscle.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #3  

It doesn't burn fat if you do it right? I thought that was the whole point? Ok, I just haven't experienced any of the characteristic side effects, good or bad, and that's what made me wonder if it's working. Granted, the scales don't lie.

I am not working out yet. I'm walking sporadically, nothing consistent. The heat has been unbearable here. I'm interested in starting some beginner yoga moves. I figured if I start stretching and gaining some strength, I can do more as far as working out. I'm just so heavy and out of shape.

Thank you very much for your reply. I've found this website difficult to find people to talk to. I don't know why. My thread got a lot of views, but you were the only one to respond. Unfortunately, that is probably why I left the first time, years ago.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #4  

Pinkhorseofcourse Looks like you are off to a great start!

Fwiw, I lost 95 lbs on a keto diet (not Atkins, but similar principle). I did not work out--low calories did not leave much energy. But I lost the weight pretty fast even without exercise. When I got to my goal, my body contours looked toned, and I felt strong enough to work out. Sometimes strenuous exercise at the same time as dieting can slow weight loss. Watch how you feel & see what the scale does as you add in the exercise.

Re expected sympoms, you can google signs of ketosis, eg odd taste in mouth, odd odor to sweat & urine, cold hands and/or feet are a few.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:59 PM   #5  

Hi Sundove, thank you for the reply. How long did it take you to lose 95lbs? I am losing, but I'm just not sure if I'm in ketosis or not.. due to not experiencing said signs. I'm not in a big hurry to work out yet. I know it will be much easier once I get a little of the weight off.

On a side note, I did have a bit of a weird taste in my mouth, but it was more metallic.. not sweet. So Idk if that's what it was or not. I guess I just want to make sure I'm doing this RIGHT. It's hard enough doing it, I want to make sure it counts! lol

I did look up some stuff on Ketosis... but it seems there are a lot of variables.. as far as people reacting differently.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:35 PM   #6  

Pinkhorse You're welcome! I have heard people say they get a metallic taste in ketosis. I haven't heard it described as sweet. It sounds like you have reduced calories a lot to get that weight loss. If you are doing that without feeling hunger, that would suggest you're in ketosis--ketosis suppresses appetite.

The rule of thumb is less than 50 grams/day net carbs will get & keep you in ketosis. Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber carbs. Are you using a food tracker? (I'm not saying you should). You can enter your foods in one, like Myfitnesspal.com, and figure out your net carbs.

You might notice signs of ketosis later on--they say it takes the body about 4 weeks to 'really' get into ketosis. Btw, the weight loss rate is not linear. You'll have slower weeks and even flat line no loss weeks. Keep an eye on the fit of your clothes. When the scale was not doing much, I would notice areas of my body shrinking, as if it were catching up to the scale.

I lost 70 lbs on 7 months on a ketogenic diet after losing 25 more slowly with Weight Watchers.

Last edited by Sundove; 07-30-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:14 AM   #7  

Thank you so much... I'm sure I have reduced calories a lot.. but not really on purpose. I went from eating pretty much whatever I wanted to induction. So yeah. lol My body is probably in shock. I get hungry sometimes, but not very often. I'm not sure if I'm getting enough fat though. I am considering trying more butter... or even some coconut oil. I also bought some olive oil and extra virgin olive oil, but I haven't used any yet. I'm not sure how to use it. lol

I'm sticking to 20 carbs per day. And I'm not using a food tracker. I've tried that in the past, but it's just a hassle for me. It takes too much time. If I start to slide, or not see results, I may reconsider. But thank you for asking.

Odd that it takes 4 weeks to really get into ketosis. When induction is only 2 weeks. I'm going to continue induction though, as long as I can. I don't feel all that deprived and am doing ok, so I figure why not..? I do need to find some more foods to eat though. I've pretty much been eating the same things. Which is good in a way... less choices for me is good. But I'm not sure if I'm eating enough... because I'm bored.. and nothing really sounds good. But I'm not very hungry.. which is so weird for me.. lol But if what you say is true, I'd say, ketosis is definitely working for me. Yay!!!

I really wanted my bf to get pics of me when I first started.. but he hasn't. I guess it's not too late to do that. I want to be able to look back and see how much progress I've made.

Wow, 70 lbs in 7 months. That's amazing. Congratulations!! One of my long term goals is to lose 60 lbs by my birthday, Feb 2nd. And then another 40 by July 4th. That would put me 2/3 of the way to my goal. Plus, I want to start working out when I feel better. (Sorry for such a long post)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #8  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi @Pinkhorseofcourse - how is Atkins treating you? I re-started on 7/23/16 and trying to find a current board here so we can share some tips. You still going strong?
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:03 AM   #9  

Hello @KarenVT
It's nice to hear from you! I pretty much gave up logging in everyday, as no one seemed to be around much. So...

You restarted just a few days after I started. I WAS going really strong.. but I'm losing steam. I am having a hard time eating. I don't think I'm getting enough to eat, or not the right portions or something, because the weight loss stalled. I'm hungry, but nothing sounds good. For the most part, I've been very good, not had any major slip ups but one... my daughter's 20th birthday, birthday cake = don't ask. Bleh. I NEED some quick easy foods to eat... but I'm not sure what to try.

How are YOU doing? You said you are REstarting... tell me about your first go around? Tell me what you eat.... I don't want to mess up the progress I have made, but I am finding it harder and harder to keep eating what I should be.

I hope to talk to you soon.