Things to try if stalling your weight loss

• I thought that it might be good to help each other out with ideas, tips, tricks etc that we have used to get past a long stall or that icky word "Plateau" on our weight loss journey.

Please post things that have worked for you to share with everyone. There will be something here that we can read and try and Shazam it will work for us.
  • A few of the things I do:

1. Lemon water. I squeeze about a 1/4 (regular lemon) or a 1/6 of a Meyer's Lemon in a big glass of water. That seems to help Move things along.

2. I eat alittle less at dinner time and I find that I lose more the next day.

I also found that Laughing and just being happy helps the weight to shed... don't know why.. but it works for me.. I guess feeling lighter and happier in your head and heart - makes the body react (for me)
  • Great thread idea, Sue!

I had a friend recommend the lemon water (although with half a lemon if that makes a difference) and I do think it cuts hunger well.

The number one thing I do when stalled is go back to carefully tracking. As a rule I don't like to track every day, and I've been eating low carb long enough to have a good idea of what I can eat, so usually I track just one day a week. But if the scale isn't moving nothing brings clarity faster than an honest look at what I'm eating (and how much!). And when I track I look at both carb counts (total AND net, because I don't buy all the "net carb" arguments, although for fiber from veggies I'm more tolerant) and also calories. Calories matter on low carb for many women over 40 in my opinion.

When I was really fed up with a plateau I did a fat fast - details here : http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atki...-fat-fast.html

I've heard a "meat and eggs fast" mentioned by others, but I've never done one.
  • I agree with Sue and Sarah and here's my two cents!! It's a marathon...if you are consistent the scale will eventually move...unfortunately it usually never moves at the pace you want it too!! Also if you haven't started exercising consider one small step towards a new routine!! and keep accountable by posting or logging in a diary..something to keep you on track...for me it's way too easy to get lazy and drop out...so I "fake it til I make it" like telling myself I like to work out even though for the first 4 months I really hated it!! What happens when I get to goal...the same thing as today..exercise and low carb!!
  • Don't stop, no matter what.

Track everything. Use a measuring cup and a scale for weighing protein.

Join a challenge and commit to participating, no matter what.

Keep moving!

I'm actually doing meat and eggs this week. I'll let you know how it works.

Make it a lifestyle, not a diet.
  • Because the scale doesn't always tell the whole truth, I usually have a pair of "goal" pants or "mini-goal" pants...the next size I am trying to fit into.....how they fit gives me gauge as to my progress separate for the scale!! I didn't always believe it but now I do...that your body is changing even when the scale isn't moving!! Thanks as always to the support of this forum!!!
  • Looking back (as Lulu just put in a different thread) at what you used to look and feel like (if you keep a journal) and see the progress you have made (Mental and physical!) is such a motivating tool to continue your commitment! I bumped into a friend I haven't seen in 5 months... Now I have only lost 14 lbs since then.. but she almost did not recognize me ... That is a kick in the arse to keep going. You get to turn into a "new" person when people who have not seen you in a LONG time look at you and go WOW as they see your new shiny exterior and your even more Golden interior!
  • Keeping track (boring I know) of what you put into your mouth and eat. Its funny how just a taste of this or a bite of that can add up!
  • Just thinking and wanting a response... Does Meditation or massages help with weight loss?
  • Well, I found something that worked for me quite by accident. I had been stalled for what seemed like ages. I grew frustrated and ready to give up. So I went out to a restaurant I like and ordered my favorite thing. (Totally NOT on my diet, at all.) I ate it with a vengeance, angry and disappointed that all my work was doing nothing. That was the ONLY thing I ate off plan, and just that once. The next day I showed over a pound of weight loss. I stayed on plan and things got moving again. I've tried it since and it seems to work every time I get stalled for more than two weeks. I don't know why, except maybe my body wakes up and goes "Oh! Something different???" and starts responding again. Who knows? I'll take it.
  • Lulu NH said "Because the scale doesn't always tell the whole truth, I usually have a pair of "goal" pants or "mini-goal" pants...the next size I am trying to fit into.....how they fit gives me gauge as to my progress separate for the scale!! I didn't always believe it but now I do...that your body is changing even when the scale isn't moving!!"

I found this to be true week before last when the scale stayed the same for four days...less than a week after I started back on plan. I decided to check my measurements, and I had lost over three inches total! WOW, I was shocked. Just because the scale didn't move didn't mean I wasn't losing. I had gone through surgery a few weeks before though so some of it may have been water. I have only lost seven lbs in two weeks though and I have a 4 1/2 inch total loss. To me, that is as important as the weight. I couldn't hardly button a denim "skort" before beginning and now it is very loose on me...a great measure of my success.
  • Even tho the scale is not moving and you are ON PLAN!.. tell yourself that you are lighter... because you are! The scale might not show it.. but you KNOW! and Knowing makes all the difference in your mindset!