Old 01-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #1  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Thumbs up 13 Nutrition Lies

Came across this on another site I frequent. Read up...very interesting.

http://www.businessinsider.com/13-nu...t-2013-10?op=1
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for sharing this its nice to reconfirm stuff that I have found in all kinds of materials from scholarly journals to medical books. Of course the internet too but always careful what I read there. Its a constant battle for people in the medical community that are so programed on low fat = good health to wrap their heads around the fact that, that just isn't true.

One thing that I read when I started med surge that has always stuck with me and is paraphrased a bit...... For type one diabetics ketoacidosis can quickly be deadly, a large sign of ketoacidosis is spilling ketones into the urine. This how ever is not the same for someone who does not have type one diabetes and cuts carbohydrates out of their diet. They too will spill ketones into their urine, but this is a product, for them, of burning fat. This can be a very healthy lifestyle change for someone, and it is very important to look into their past medical history before making a judgement on the fact that they are showing signs of ketosis, not to be confused with ketoacidosis.

It went on to list times when it is not ok to be in ketosis like during pregnancy, but the point here is that even the newer medical books are realizing this.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote