Ketosis question

• Does testing positive for ketones really mean you are burning fat?

I am still confused with this as I read conflicting information.

Thanks in advance!!
  • I never relied on those test strips.....I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and those strips never changed color for me
  • Thanks! I read for some people it doesn't change color.

But in any event, if it does turn color, does it mean you are burning fat? Does ketosis overall mean you are burning fat? I read conflicting info.
  • I'm no expert on ketosis, but my understanding is that even though testing positive for ketones would suggest you have made it into ketosis, you may or may not be burning a significant amount of fat or any at all for that matter unless you are burning more energy than you are consuming.

I.e Burn more than you consume is more important than being in ketosis!

Geraldine
    x
  • Quote: I'm no expert on ketosis, but my understanding is that even though testing positive for ketones would suggest you have made it into ketosis, you may or may not be burning a significant amount of fat or any at all for that matter unless you are burning more energy than you are consuming.

I.e Burn more than you consume is more important than being in ketosis!

Geraldine
    x
    ahh! ok! Like you mean as long as there is a calorie deficit. Thank you!
  • My understanding is yes, you are burning fat. But fat from what you eat or fat from your body - that is the question!
  • Quote: My understanding is yes, you are burning fat. But fat from what you eat or fat from your body - that is the question!
    Sorry for the late reply, but yeah, that is a good question!! So, if you eat a low amount of fat grams, are in ketosis and lose weight you are burning body fat? But atkins wants you to eat fat. Hmm. How many grams of fat are you allowed on induction? Does anyone know??

edited to add, but then, what about the Fat fast? That's all fat and people who have a problem losing weight will lose weight on the fat fast.
  • From my understanding it is broken down like this:

50% Fat
    30% Protein
    20% Carbs
    and yes, watch calories. Fitday is excellent at showing you your breakdown daily