3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Low Carb vs Low Fat - Time To Retire The Fad (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/265233-low-carb-vs-low-fat-time-retire-fad.html)

fatklr 08-27-2012 10:51 AM

Low Carb vs Low Fat - Time To Retire The Fad

Hello All,

I just came across a very interesting article that actually breaks down why low carb diets are superior to the "traditional" low fat diet. Since I'm starting back up on Atkins today, I figured this was the perfect article to read for a jump start (other than re-reading Dr. Atkins' book).

http://www.kriskris.com/low-carb-vs-low-fat/

Enjoy!

sheski 08-27-2012 11:41 AM

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I'm still working on the oils and fats, but for many years the main ones in my home are extra virgin italian olive oil and salted supermarket butter. I'm not even sure where to find grass fed dairy products, but the search is on and I will see if the budget allows.

Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion about his(Kris's) three meal a day plan and Atkins suggestions to eat 5 to six meals? I noticed that either New Rules for Lifting or Body for Life also has very similar suggestions for nutrition to Atkin's older book, so I have been trying to eat smaller meals more often, but I still forget sometimes.

(Sorry I have been reading and skimming too many books about health and fitness lately; I am jumbling up the info and confusing myself.)

Serenity100 08-27-2012 11:43 AM

Thanks for posting this article. I am glad there is more evidence that a calorie is not simply a calorie when trying to lose weight.
But I have to say if lowfat works for some then they should continue. But for those who did not have good results on a lowfat diet there might be a reason for that which doesn't have to do simply with your "will power".

fatklr 08-27-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheski (Post 4449936)
Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I'm still working on the oils and fats, but for many years the main ones in my home are extra virgin italian olive oil and salted supermarket butter. I'm not even sure where to find grass fed dairy products, but the search is on and I will see if the budget allows.

Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion about his(Kris's) three meal a day plan and Atkins suggestions to eat 5 to six meals? I noticed that either New Rules for Lifting or Body for Life also has very similar suggestions for nutrition to Atkin's older book, so I have been trying to eat smaller meals more often, but I still forget sometimes.

(Sorry I have been reading and skimming too many books about health and fitness lately; I am jumbling up the info and confusing myself.)

What I got from Dr. Atkins is that you should go no more than six waking hours without eating. That being said, 3 meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) are fine. If you want to eat snacks in between, that's also fine. I'm on induction so i'll be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacks only if I'm hungry.

Serenity100 08-27-2012 01:58 PM

Dr. Atkins said to eat 5 or 6 meals? I don't remember that. My problem is snacking mindlessly. If you eat three meals a day with the correct fat ratio you should not be hungry. But I usually have a 3 o'clock slump so I will have some cheese or similar then to hold me over for dinner. After dinner I have dessert sugar free jello or berries. then I am not hungry. If I do snack it is only because it is a mindless habit that piles on the pounds. but that is what works for me.

sheski 08-28-2012 12:18 AM

The Atkins book that I read cover to cover was dated 1990-something, when I took it back I kept one of the newer versions from 2002 and one from 2007. In the book from 2002 on page 107 he says to eat 3 normal meals or 4 to 5 smaller meals per day. However I remember reading that the 4 to 5 smaller meal suggestion came from a study where one group ate 3, one ate 4, one ate 5 and one ate 6 meals, but all groups ate the same food amounts and just divided them differently, the 4 meals lost more weight than the 3 meals and the 5 meals lost a tiny bit more than the 4 meals and the 6 meals lost a very tiny bit more than the 5 meals. It was of course percentages that were used, but anyway I would have sworn it was his book, but I was also skimming through a few other low carb books and a couple weight lifting books at the time, so I probably got confused. Sorry for the bother, I over analyze everything.