3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Doing Atkins UNsuccessfully (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/263823-doing-atkins-unsuccessfully.html)

JerseyGyrl 07-31-2012 10:35 AM

Doing Atkins UNsuccessfully

Thinking & Attitude is where successful weight loss begins.
If you think you can't do it....you won't! And if you refuse to do it correctly....you are going to fail.

1. Don't read the book before attemping Atkins - Rely on the internet
2. Eat all the red meat, bacon & butter you'd like - after all, its all 0 carbs
3. Don't eat veggies or salads, it won't make any difference - fill up on eggs, cheese, meat & bacon instead as long as I eat low carb
4. Eat low-fat - after all, fat isn't good for you anyway
5. Alcohol is ok as long as I stick to the lower carb ones and mix them with diet coke
6. Water is tasteless - adding a packet of Crystal Light or drinking diet soda instead isn't a big deal
7. I don't like my coffee black so, I'll use powdered creamer & Splenda - a teaspoon of powdered creamer shouldn't make a difference and Splenda has no carbs so, whats the difference
8. If I don't want to exercise, thats ok, I don't have to, eating low carb is all I need to do to lose weight.
9. I only have to eat this way for 2 weeks then I can eat REAL food again
10. No one can eat this way forever

Before you know it, the initial 2 weeks on Atkins are completed and....you've gained weight!!! You can't understand why this has happened and you chalk it up to ATKINS being another diet that didn't work for you.
I think we can all relate to this and learn from it!:)

Simona 07-31-2012 11:02 AM

LOVE IT!

Especially #9 and 10. I know so many people who think this is a temporary, quick fix. It can be, but why would anyone want to keep yo-yo-ing???

sandyfanny 07-31-2012 11:29 AM

This is great! Thanks, Jersey Gyrl! I see myself in #6. I'm a water hater, must change what I tell myself. No, no wait...I'm a water LOVER!

Serenity100 07-31-2012 11:35 AM

Great post Kim! You have stayed on this WOE for 8 years and are a great inspiration.

Another one you might want to add to your list -- "I'll just have a free day and it will be easy to get right back on track tomorrow". Not for those of us who suffer from sugar addiction. I am going through withdrawal from a booboo I made over the weekend, not fun. But once you stay 100%op there are no cravings whatsoever, so I know it will be worth it once I get over this hump.

JerseyGyrl 07-31-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity100 (Post 4422417)
Great post Kim! You have stayed on this WOE for 8 years and are a great inspiration.

Another one you might want to add to your list -- "I'll just have a free day and it will be easy to get right back on track tomorrow". Not for those of us who suffer from sugar addiction. I am going through withdrawal from a booboo I made over the weekend, not fun. But once you stay 100%op there are no cravings whatsoever, so I know it will be worth it once I get over this hump.

Thank you Serenity, you make a great point!
I can tell you I for one am NOT one of those "I'll get right back on track tomorrow" people and I had to stop fooling myself into believeing I was or ever could be. It goes hand in hand with "you can eat anything as long as you eat it in moderation" Ummmmm....Hello....IF I could eat in moderation I wouldn't have ever been 245 lbs!

Simona 07-31-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl (Post 4422430)
Thank you Serenity, you make a great point!
I can tell you I for one am NOT one of those "I'll get right back on track tomorrow" people and I had to stop fooling myself into believeing I was or ever could be. It goes hand in hand with "you can eat anything as long as you eat it in moderation" Ummmmm....Hello....IF I could eat in moderation I wouldn't have ever been 245 lbs!

OMG! Kim, you are SO right! Even after weight loss surgery I CANNOT eat carbs in moderation! I can still eat a giant bag of chips or crackers in one sitting. And if I have chips or crackers....that bag is gone in one day! No moderation for me!

jamie26301 07-31-2012 01:47 PM

Hey Kim! Great post, and you're right when you say these are problem areas for most.

I plan to watch my calories. One serving size of Linda's recipes at a time, so that can't be too many calories, if I eat only when I'm hungry. Do you have to eat every so often on Atkins, or any low-carb diet, or can you eat only when you're hungry? (For me, that means no breakfast - cause I'm not hungry then - and eating twice or thrice daily)

And Splenda has carbs. Less than one per teaspoon, but it can add up if you put in a heaping. And powered creamer (yuck! - prefer cream) has tons of carbs, don't they?

What gets me is the veggies, and I'm sorry if I repeat it too much. (I really don't mean to aggravate anyone.) I don't plan to "fill up" on those things you mentioned. I think you mean like eating these things all day. I plan to do Linda's low carb recipes, eat a salad once in a while, and keep my carbs below 20. What's going to be tricky for me is making a mocha without too much Splenda or too much syrup and cream. I don't like my coffee black either!

ValRock 07-31-2012 01:49 PM

Great post!!

I'm not on Atkins... but I'm a sugar addict, and grains make me crazy.

I especially agree with point 4. I get at least 50% of my calories from fat and feel AMAZING. People look at me like I'm insane when they see how much fat I eat :D. If they want to eat cardboard, more power to them... but NO thanks!

TiffNeedsChange 07-31-2012 04:01 PM

Jamie-
On Atkins you should always eat breakfast and never go more than 6 waking hours between meals.

Thanks for the post Kim... Ithink that my issues come from wanting to slip bites of non- plan food, that always sends me on a slipperly slope. The splenda can add up easily and I have to be aware of exactly how much of a serging I am having. That is a reason that I restarted a "keep it simple stupid" approach to my meals (and revamping to pure induction free of sneaking bites)

Serenity100 08-01-2012 06:56 AM

This is why I find Atkins so easy to follow. But so many people believe (incorrectly, or correctly, I'm no scientist ;)) that low fat is the only way to lose weight.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ValRock (Post 4422575)
Great post!!

I'm not on Atkins... but I'm a sugar addict, and grains make me crazy.

I especially agree with point 4. I get at least 50% of my calories from fat and feel AMAZING. People look at me like I'm insane when they see how much fat I eat :D. If they want to eat cardboard, more power to them... but NO thanks!