Induction/ketosis related Nausea

• Today is my third day of Induction, I have felt great until about 2 hours ago when I became extremely nauseated and I have a slightly strange taste in my mouth. I am aware of ketosis causing some nausea and bad breath but how long does this usually last? Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything helpful that I can do? Thanks
  • Its often called keto flu or induction flu. Sometimes it's accompanied by a headache too. Mine lasted a day and a half. Drink plenty of water and keep on keeping on, your body is transitioning from using carbs as fuel to using your fat (ketones) as fuel. Eat some bacon lol!
  • Atkins?
    I'm on Atkin's and I eat alot of mints. I have been on the Induction diet going on 6 months and have lost 30lbs. I should have lost a lot more but I cheated when know one was looking. I had those flu symptoms too they go away in a day or two. So don't get discoraged. Okay you'll be fine. Your body is trying to make you go off the diet by acting this way. No starch, no sugar, low carbs, that a lot of things for your body to get use to. When I want sugar I add a cool-aid one pk to my water, it has 1 gram of carbs and little sugar (I think it's diet) but satisfy's my craving and it doesn't put any weight on.

Your friend, gopammyjo
  • Thanks for the reassurance Ghost! It hit me while I was on my way to Whole Foods to pick up some Flax seeds and I walked past the scented stuff and it was "pregnancy nausea" all over again LOL!

Gopammyjo - thanks for the encouragement I might try chewing some parsley for the bad bread (read about that on a "sticky" here). 30 pounds in 6 months is great! I am thinking of doing a prolonged Induction as well (though I may increase to 25-30 net carbs, we will see).
  • Ya, keto breaths gross but watch the carbs on the breath mints. Parsley is good but also fresh sprigs of mint (you can grow it yourself too). I also don't rely on sugar free drinks, the artificial sweeteners stall me.

I'm doing an extended induction, I've gone as high as 40 carbs without throwing myself out of keto but every body is different so you will have to experiment to see how far you can push it.
  • Thanks again ghost, that is very useful info Do you use ketostix or just go by the ketosis breath to know when you're in ketosis? Once Induction is over I will slowly add in more carbs. I had some muscle twitching last night but once I took my multivitamin it went away shortly after, also read that spinach may help.
    I am ever so grateful and happy that I decided on Atkins, I feel like I am finally in control again!