I am so confused about lables

• Take, for instance, this stuff.

http://www.sargento.com/products/161...cheese-sticks/

If fat has 9 calories, and carbs and protein have 4...then this doesn't add up.

Shouldn't it have only 83 calories?

I know that they can legally label something as "0" of something (protein, fat, or carbs) if it's under a certain amount. However, this would mean that if those extra calories are actually carbs, this cheese stick has 1.75 carbs!

I'm not disputing that a 21g serving of sharp cheddar can have 1.75 grams of carbs...but I don't understand how they can label it as 0 carbs. This is, of course, assuming that there isn't also extra fat and protein in the stick they aren't labeling.

Does anyone have any answers?
  • It's possible that the carbs, fat, and protein have all been rounded down. If there was an extra 0.5 g of each, that would be about 4 calories from fat and 2 each from carbs and protein. I'm not sure if they can round down an extra 0.5 g labeling-wise, but that would square the math. Most of the cheddar cheese I eat does have 1 g of carbs per serving on their labels so it's reasonable that there would be 0.5 g in this formulation.
  • This is why I hate food regulations in America. They basically regulate that producers can be liars. And they wonder why American's are obese.