3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Constipation??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/258175-constipation.html)

HeyMa 05-01-2012 10:03 PM

Constipation???

:(Any suggestions to avoid constipation on Atkins???

JerseyGyrl 05-01-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyMa (Post 4316678)

Eating plenty of veggies & salads and drinking plenty of water works wonders:)

HeyMa 05-01-2012 10:27 PM

induction of atkins does not allow too much salad & veg. Water is not a problem...up 2-3 times every night!!! ;)

Brandis 05-01-2012 10:40 PM

Fiber pills helped me when I did Atkins.

JerseyGyrl 05-02-2012 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyMa (Post 4316721)
induction of atkins does not allow too much salad & veg.)

During Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.

AwShucks 05-10-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions to avoid constipation on Atkins???
I eat fiber gummies, and they work for me. They're sugar free, but have some carbs... not all displaced by the fiber. The recommendation is 2 per day, but I usually eat 4 -- 2 in the morning, and 2 in the evening. No more problems, and they taste fruity! I buy them at Target.

In the past, I have taken a daily stool softner, and a nurse once told me you could take up to 3 of those a day if needed.

Hope this helps.

ValRock 05-10-2012 10:34 PM

What are you eating? When I have constipation problems when I'm on an induction style low carb plan, it's usually because I'm not eating enough, or not eating enough fat or leafy greens.

A skinny girl in me 05-10-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyMa (Post 4316678)

It's very difficult to get enough fiber in general, let alone when in induction on Atkins. Best suggestion is to use a powder fiber supplement like Benefiber powder in water, 2 tsp twice a day. There is 1 net carb in 2 tsp serving. This helps alot. If this doesn't work, consider Miralax, a gentle non-stimulant, non-habit forming laxative. AVOID SENNA/SENOKOT/EXLAX/ CORRECTOL. These are all stimulant laxatives and habit forming, Yuck! Remember to get enough fat in diet as oil/fats can be helpful as well. Good Luck!! :)

Ramra 05-14-2012 01:48 PM

I eat a lot of hot banana peppers & jalapeno peppers. 1 carb, 1 fibre. Makes me go, every time. :) It's good if you like spicy food.

offkilter 05-24-2012 01:44 PM

Add lettuce or raw spinach to at least 2 meals and you will not have any constipation problems. Iceberg lettuce is only .2/cup and romain is .4/cup. I'll mix it into almost anything (califlower fried rice is great on top of some shredded lettuce).

everdeen 05-25-2012 03:20 PM

I have used Miralax when needed for the past few years and it's awesome. No pain or gas or cramping. One day you're constipated and maybe 2 days later you're just normal again. Works wonders.

Deena52 05-27-2012 11:31 AM

I'm only speaking from my own experience and I do realize that everyone is different......but when it came to the veggies in the lowest carb category (ie: spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cukes, celery, etc.), I never really worried about the amount I ate. And I ate LOTS (and still do).

What I worried about the most, in terms of amounts (of net carbs)...was cheese, cream cheese, etc.....and dairy (unless you are lactose-intolerant) does tend to be constipating anyway.

But the Atkins-friendly, induction-friendly items that prevent constipation...the hi-fiber, low-carb veggies and the water.....I had plenty of (and never measured) and they will definitely make up for the tendency of meat and dairy to be constipating.

deena:)