Old 04-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Atkins Phase 1 Day 1

Starting on Atkins today. I've been lower carb up to now, but not consistently at this low level. Looking forward to some good results. Not sure if I'll weigh in every day, but I'll post here and track carbs.

My goals on Atkins:
  1. Get type 2 diabetes under control, especially the morning fasting blood sugars.
  2. Lose enough weight to get past the insulin resistance effect from belly fat.
  3. End cravings and hunger issues, especially after I've already eaten.
I'll update this post at the end of the day. Accountability is important for my success.

So, it's 8 pm. I drank all my water. I've had 19 net gm of carbs today. Almost 1900 calories. I'm waiting for dinner to settle and hoping the desire to keep nibbling on something goes away. I'm having major carb cravings at the moment. I'm dreaming of Pepperidge Farms turnovers, sesame stix, popcorn with lots of butter. Don't want cheese. Don't want meat. Don't want celery. Want sour cherry preserves!

It'll be nice when this stops happening...

Last edited by geoblewis; 04-15-2012 at 11:04 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Hi :-) Welcome & good luck!! Today I'm starting induction as well. Our stats are somewhat similar ... We are both tall! :-)
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

First day result...my morning blood sugar is so much closer to normal! 103 makes me very happy. The scale says I haven't lost an ounce. I expected that because while my carbs were so low, I really didn't cut any calories. I ate very close to my RMR. Hoping that today the hunger will be better managed with the very low carb intake and I won't have to eat so much.

It's day 2!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

I did not keep carbs low enough today. I had almost 40 gm today. It started with lunch. I bought a salad at a local sandwich shop and they included a pita bread with it. I caved and ate half. Which may have triggered the hunger I experienced all afternoon. I eventually quelled that with a whole avocado. By then I was hitting 25 gm of carbs. I was only going to have some turkey meatballs after that, but I didn't want to have just meat, so I cooked up some spinach. Then I made dinner for my son, which included rice pilaf, and I had a cup of that.

I'm going to bed before I make a PIE!!!

Hoping tomorrow is a day of more conscious choices. And less hunger!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

Default Phase 1 Day 3

Oh my lord! What was I thinking? I am so impulsive, and it really bites me on the behind when it comes to making food choices. Second day in a row that I'm over 20 gm of net carbs. Not just a little. I had almost 100 gm in one sitting!

And it was all over something I rarely ever do...big popcorn and a soda. Really, I only have soda maybe once a year. Well, there it was, my one time this year! My son and I went to the movies and he wanted popcorn and soda, and I saw they had a deal for a large popcorn and two sodas. And I didn't even give it a second thought!

This morning's blood sugar was 113. Not as low as yesterday. I am done eating for today. Fortunately for me, I exercised hard about an hour before going to the movies and my blood sugar is only 92 right now. I will spend some time on weight training tonight and hopefully that'll burn the rest of those carbs off.

And tomorrow, I'm not going anywhere or doing anything that will bring me close to anything that offers these sorts of choices.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

There's probably also a bit of rebellious feelings involved, those first days going really low carb can be a challenge. Stick to induction to the letter and after a few days to a week you feel fabulous. The appetite suppression aspect of ketosis is fabulous.

When I'm in the 'don't want to eat anything' stage I eat cream cheese. It's the blandest of all the low carb options, I've found.
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/262.6/175

Height: 5'3"

I've found that sugar free jello helps curb the sweet tooth =o) You're doing great! Keep it up
MommaStarett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #8  
Renaissance Woman

Default Phase 1 Day 4

Ana...when does that "don't want to eat anything" stage kick in? Sounds like a fairytale!

Yes, I am a bit rebellious, even at age 51. I'm back on track with the carbs today and doing better. I really look forward to the ketosis because if I can hit that, I really think I'll be fine.

But the sugar-free Jello...ick. I don't like sugar-free anything and I don't really like Jello. I don't really experience a sweet tooth thing. I definitely have a savory/salty/crunchy carb tooth however!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

It tends to hit me when I've done a few days of strict induction, I lose my appetite entirely. On one hand it's fabulous - near zero desire to eat, except for the occasional time I feel genuinely stomach rumbling hungry (not just 'i wanna eat' hungry) but I have to eat at least a certain amount at breakfast or dinner or the meds I take just make me super queasy. And when I'm queasy, the last thing I want to eat is meat or eggs and it's easy for me to slip up then and eat something carby just to cut the nausea. So the cream cheese has been a godsend and I make sure I do eat enough dinner.

If you have a salty crunchy tooth try cauliflower cut up into marble sized pieces with lots of melted butter and a liberal amount of salt. It's kind of popcorny

I think once you hit ketosis you'll feel great. Just be strict and you'll get there. Once you're there, you've very little desire to get out of it. Today for example, I got a burrito bowl with just the meat, fresh salsa, guac, sour cream and cheese. If my carb levels were higher I'd have been struggling more with cravings and I'd have convinced myself that I needed the rice. But as it is, I paid a bit extra to get some more meat and skipped the rice. Not in ketosis me would've thought I was nuts
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #10  
Renaissance Woman

Doing better with being strict and things are getting better! I'm down four pounds since my first day on Atkins. I was retaining a lot of water from the meds I was on, but since I stopped taking it, everything's better.

Really, EVERYTHING will be better when I lose enough weight.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 306/253/205

Height: 5' 10"

Hello - Checking in for the first time... going on Atkins Induction tomorrow morning. Especially want to get my blood glucose under control, and know that this is the way to go.
lilywinsit is offline   Reply With Quote