3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   So sad it took this and now back (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/253389-so-sad-took-now-back.html)

Brooklynn 02-22-2012 08:41 AM

So sad it took this and now back

Hi all so if you remember me at all you may know that I was pretty successful on atkins (the traditional version) no meal bars etc. About 4 months into my diet I was still on the second stage OWL (not to far into it) and my doctor told me I had high cholesterol. He was a little nervous because I am only 28 and he asked about my diet. In the past I had talked to medical pros and they said that what I was doing, how I was doing it, and the fact that I lost that much weight was fine. He even admitted that the fact that I lost so much weight was more of a benefit but suggested I change to a low fat low cal diet to get my cholesterol under control because I refused to take the pills if I could do it by changing my diet. I continued atkins for a bit longer but then in the fall changed because of this and sadly by this point have gained back a lot of the weight that I lost. I went back to the doctor and my cholesterol is still high and he is now disappointed I gained the weight back. I tried to explain to him that I had stayed on the induction phase for longer than 2 weeks and that may be why at that time my cholesterol was high but had I continued on OWL and so on it may have gone down (like it has for many other life long atkins dieters). So now he and I both agreed to re gain control of my weight I am going back on atkins and we will test my cholesterol again after I am to pre maintenance. At this point if its still high it may just be genetics and I will go on meds. I must say I am very disappointed with my self because I feel duped! But alas I am back and ready for that same successes I had before and a life long maintenance plan! The sad thing is I know statins dont work well for women so I am really hoping what I am doing works because it kind of pointless to take the meds if they dont work kwim? Any way my ticker reflects what I did before all this I so dont want to change it but hey thats life right!

Brooklynn 02-22-2012 08:48 AM

oh and I wanted to add that I also believe that statins are more dangerous than they are helpful so I want to do everything in my power to not have to take anything like that!

StephanieM 02-22-2012 09:30 AM

Welcome back :)

It sucks about the high cholesterol, I had it when I was younger but when they checked my blood when I was pregnant I didn't have it anymore (and I had been doing Atkins before getting pregnant!)

We have a challenge going on in the other low carb forum if you need some motivation :) We set goals for ourselves to reach by Easter.

rho1640 02-22-2012 12:14 PM

Shoot - lost my post ....

I have the same issue with my doctor - I've brought my levels down big time total chol. and LDL are slightly high (like no more than 10 points above the norm) - my VLDL is good and my triglycerides are good so I don't want to take the meds either so we go round and round about it ... I understand where he is coming from since his focus is on the fact that my mom died of a heart attack at 46 .. So he is concerned with family history.

I'm actually more concerned by my HDL being low and my CRP being high (which I think is coming from other issues going on in my body) I need to find out how to raise the HDL and lower inflammation more than I need statins ...

Oh and I think getting the rest of this weight off and starting to walk will continue to help my levels ... I have at least 60 lbs more to go. I will re-evaluate my goal when I get to that point.

Brooklynn 02-22-2012 07:26 PM

Ok Im not a doctor or anything but I have read that coconut oil brings up your HDL but they are worried about it because it is saturated fat however my husband has been taking a tbsp for almost a year (he has family issue with hearts) and he is completely healthy! His LDL was high and then he tried this and it is down to norm (not saying it will be the same for all) but I am going to try it and see what happens. Other than that I try not to use to much saturated fat in my meals.

3forus 02-23-2012 07:35 AM

watch the movie Fat Head, Netfilx and Hulu have it.

Brooklynn 02-23-2012 07:37 AM

I have its a good movie!
but I wish my doctor would have too!!!

cupcakegirl32 03-02-2012 10:15 PM

So far I love the Coconut Oil, I take it in capsule form... I recently read about it on Pinterest..

canadianwoman 03-03-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3forus (Post 4227245)
watch the movie Fat Head, Netfilx and Hulu have it.

It is also on Youtube. The *whole* movie.