One Minute Muffin Help, Please...

• Would the Atkins Chicks who love their one minute muffins give me some ideas, advice, suggestions, please?

I made the flaxseed meal one minute muffins using JerseyGyrl's recipe last night. I made it in a six ounce ramekin - it came out looking just fine. I split it, buttered it and ran it under the broiler this morning for breakfast.

I didn't love it, but I think it has possibilities for me. It sort of tasted like nothing in spite of the cinnamon and the dash of salt and bit of vanilla I added. I ate about half of it and just didn't want anymore. I will say, though, it is very filling.

I want to love these, but I need some help to make them taste better! (I used Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal.) And what else can I do with this pricey bag of flaxseed meal?

(I'm starting a new thread because I don't want to sidetrack Flamanette's January Induction thread with OMM posts.)
  • I can't love the MIMs. I have tried, and I just can't. I think the baking powder comes out too strongly to my tastebuds, because they have always tasted bitter to me.

Instead, what I do with flax is make a variation of the danish recipe. 1 oz cream cheese, softened in the microwave. Add an egg, stir til combined. Add a tsp of splenda, some cinnamon, a dash of vanilla if you'd like. Add 1T of flax meal, stir it up. Microwave for 1 minute (or a few more seconds if you find it too wobbly in the middle still). It's kind of like a pancake. I melt a pat of butter on it and it is delicious. This is the only way I have found I can enjoy flax... Even the flax cracker I tried was disappointing.
  • I slice it into 1 inch sections and spread cream cheese on it. I think cream cheese is a lot better than butter on them. I actually used regular cream cheese but if you have a tub of whipped cream cheese, that would be even easier. Good luck!
  • Disclaimer: I'm doing lc but not Atkins so don't know if this legal or not but a few things:

1. I find the one min chocolate cake infinitely better than the plain 1mm
    Just add a tbsp of cocoa and make sure you add enough sweetener

2. Half flax and half ground almonds or pecans make the texture way better

3. Best way I've ever had it was still warm with a tbsp of frozen cool whip on top.. It gets melty and tastes just like ice cream

4. To the Poster so finds it too baking powdery try using half the Bp
  • Sandy, I suggested in another thread that when I tried it toasted I didn't like it at all. It tasted like burnt egg to me. Try it untoasted and see if you like it better that way.

Also, I've never had the muffin with flaxseed but I've had it with almond flour. I wouldn't recommend it. The taste is really rich and almond flour is carby.

Here's one Induction friendly flax recipe I found...looks good for making a wrap or maybe eating cut into wedges with an Italian dish. She also mentions that if you leave out the spices you could make it into a low carb pancake:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/flax_ga...flatbread.html
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I don't use almond flour now; I'm trying to break a stall. The flaxseed is almost literally no carb and high fiber.

I tried it again last night with 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice, and 3 tsp. Splenda (instead of Truvia). Better. Still pretty awful toasted with butter, but I ate half for breakfast. Then about 11, I spread the cream cheese I packed on the other half, ate it for a snack. I ate breakfast at 6 a.m., so a snack was welcome. Hungry and cream cheese helped it lots.
  • Ok, so I'm kinda in love with these little things, but I like flax. Even before Atkins, I would sprinkle it on my cereal and mix it in my oatmeal. I've been playing around with these tonight, and I came up with a pumpkin flavored one. I'm thinking when I have a little more time I'm going to try to double-bake these into something like biscotti. Has anyone tried to make these in batches of more than just one serving? And I wonder how well they keep throughout the day.

And you're right, they are surprisingly filling.
  • I doubled the recipe last night and popped them in the microwave (I have several of the small ramekins). I split them and put half in a ziplock sandwich bag, take it to school and eat it for my morning snack with cream cheese. They seem to keep just fine during the day. If I were keeping them for more than one day, I'd put them in a ziplock in the refrigerator.

I still don't love them, but they're so handy for breakfast and snack time. The cream cheese makes them so much better.
  • Savory Onion One Minute Muffin...
    Last night I made a delicious savory one minute muffin with dehydrated onion flakes...I split it horizontally and melted cheese on top. HEAVEN! Check "Recipes from 'What's for Dinner?'" thread for my recipe.
  • I was looking for flaxseed a couple of months ago and couldn't find it. To my surprise, my mom came home today with a big bag of flaxseed and a big bag of soy flour. With all of this one minute muffin talk around the boards lately, I'm excited to experiment with it since I've decided to cut out nuts so no more almond flour for me.
  • I know. I really like baking with almond flour, but it wasn't helping my stall...I lost two pounds this week, so maybe it's over. Please, let it be over. I don't think the flaxseed is a stall; I finally showed some progress this week. It also helps up my fiber intake considerably.

I didn't like the plain muffins much, but the cocoa version and the savory recipe on my recipe thread are MUCH better. I particularly like the savory version...I don't like them right out of the microwave. They need to cool and "dry out." Once they're cool, they're fine reheated or run under the broiler to melt cheese. You know how we love cheese!

I think if I made the plain ones with pumpkin pie spice (about 1 tsp.) and a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, I'd like them better.

There's a huge one minute muffin thread on Low Carb Friends:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html

I really like their "Low Carb Recipe Help and Suggestions" Board. Good luck with the famous OMM!
  • I made my first sweet muffin tonight. I love how filling these things are...with fiber, fat and protein from the flax, butter, and egg. I split one and then spread softened cream cheese mixed with a little bit of raspberry Torani's on top. I'm so stuffed from this and a small glass of water. It didn't taste amazing, but it's great for a quick easy meal or snack. I think it's also good that I don't like them TOO much.
  • I played around with the original recipe and came up with this one...lower calories, and within induction limits with only 2T of flax. I used egg whites because I have a cholesterol problem, so too many eggs for me isn't a good idea. This version comes out much denser than the original, but just as yummy:

- 2 TBSP flaxseed meal
    - 3 TBSP egg whites
    - 1 TSP cinammon
    - 1 TSP baking powder
    - 1 packet Splenda
  • Smart!
    Leblebi, that's a great idea. Linsy, raspberry Torani's mixed with cream cheese - pure genius!

I went to World Bazaar last night and bought two bottles - chocolate and raspberry. I'm going to try your cream cheese trick. I'm like you; I don't love them, but I do like that they're so filling. They also give me the protein, fiber, fat for a quick, portable breakfast. I bought some whipped cream cheese to keep in my refrigerator at work. I can pop a muffin in a ziplock and have breakfast-to-go.

And, like you, it's a good thing I don't like too much. They still taste sort of weird to me; it has to be the flax. And I don't like the way they smell, but I ignore it and eat them anyway.