3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Amen To The Muffin Person (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/223261-amen-muffin-person.html)

leblebi 01-22-2011 12:43 PM

Amen To The Muffin Person

Hi all. I am beyond ecstatic at the moment. Just tried the Minute Muffin I have been reading about and I'm over the top with elation. I had half as a snack with a bit of butter and am saving the other half for a post-dinner dessert. It is so yummy...great substitute for a "real" muffin...gave me the bread-y texture I've been missing. And, according to JerseyGyrl whose opinions I have come to highly trust and value, it's induction friendly.

So, without further ado...a round of thunderous applause to the genius who came up with this recipe. A great, big heartfelt "thank you" to you.

RECIPE:

"Muffin in a Minute (suitable for Induction)

Serving Size: 1

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug. Or a bowl for a different shape.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat. Set mug to soak immediately.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 1.5 net carbs.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 9.5 g. fiber; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium"

Linsy 01-22-2011 01:46 PM

This recipe was created by someone on lowcarbfriends.com. There's a thread buried around there somewhere with a lot of great ideas for them. I like to make them in a larger bowl so it's about the size of a slice of bread, leave out the splenda/cinnamon and top it with sandwich toppings. A couple of times I made a salami sandwich using a 1MM made with almond flour instead of flax, garlic, and oregano. Yummy Italian sandwich! (Almond flour is not for Induction).

abluvion 01-22-2011 06:34 PM

There is some controversy about those minute muffins.... Primarily that one muffin contains 4 times the amount of flax that Dr Atkins recommended per day. Secondarily, flax was supposed to only be used to relieve constipation, not as a daily food. Soooo some people see the muffins as bending the rules to feed the part of your brain that is not fully committed to the plan.

But I think they can be a good tool too if they keep you out of other non-Induction food! Just make sure you drink LOTS of water with them as flax will absorb water in your system and may end up having a 'blockage' effect if you're dehydrated.

yoyoma 01-23-2011 04:48 AM

I'm not on induction any more (but maybe I should be!). I had some flax meal in my freezer and made the muffin last night. I actually forgot the cinnamon and it was still pretty good! [BTW, I melted the butter and used it to grease the mug.] I ate the whole thing but I decided I could have easily cut it in half for two servings. So, if you do cut it in half and eat it on alternate days you could at least bring the average flax into line with induction guidelines. Or, just stick with 1/4 muffin (a slice) per day slathered with whipped cream or cream cheese for a dessert.

In addition to helping with regularity, flax is a good source of healthy fats. But I do see how it could prevent some folks for retraining their food preferences away from carbs.

I tried a batch of oopsie rolls while I was on induction. I thought they were pretty good when they were quite fresh, but didn't age well. They are too much fuss for me, though, if I'm only going to eat them fresh.

leblebi 01-23-2011 11:06 AM

Good idea about the portion control. Haven't tries the Oopsie Rolls...no time like the present :)

sandyfanny 01-23-2011 11:38 AM

I'm with you, Yoyoma, I tried the Oopsie Rolls a couple of different ways; they're way too much work and clean-up for me. I hate that whipping the egg whites business.

Linsy 01-23-2011 02:56 PM

I only tried the Oopsie rolls once, and they were too much work for me too. On top of all of that, I forgot to grease the cookie sheet and there was Oopsie stuck on that thing for an entire day of soaking. :lol:

The rolls weren't salvageable, but I did try a little taste and they tasted strange to me. I'd actually rather just eat a hamburger with a fork than go through all of that fuss for something mediocre (and with added carbs).