Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Grocery Trip and new ideas

Hi gang - just went grocery shopping and have some new ideas for food!

Snacks -

Pork rinds - I just tried these for the first time. They are good but I could easily eat a whole bag which would be about 600 cals. I'm pretty sure they'd stall my weightloss. I did well and only ate 2 servings.

Annie Chung Nori Snacks - I mentioned these before. These are my other favorite chip like snack. Its chips of seaweed with salt/sesame oil etc.

Dessert -

Almond milk - 3 carbs for 8 oz! Its not sweet but if you added some liquid splenda - YUM.

I am trying an icecream w 8 oz almond milk (3), 2 tbs cream (1), and some rose water (0) and liquid fake sugar (0). I will let you know how it comes out.

Coconut flour - 3 net carbs per 2 tbs. I am making muffins with 3 tbs flour in them (plus 1 egg (1), plus baking soda (1), plus cream/almond milk (2). I am calling them 7/8 carbs per muffin (big). I will let you know how they turn out. The coconut flour would be good for breading shrimp/chicken too.

I really like the rosewater. Lots of flavor like a davinci syrup but no fake sugar.

I bet you could make turkish delight (rosewater, gelatin, pectin etc).

What new stuff are you trying?
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I actually just got back from the store too! I saw almond milk but didn't buy it. I need to keep those things in mind for the holidays to keep me away from all of the tempting treats though.

I got this FABULOUS broccoli and cheese soup from the deli--11 net carbs for 1 cup, but 1/2 cup is very filling. Great winter meal when you want some hot soup. I ate mine with rotisserie chicken on the side.

I also bought 2 pepperoni sticks, 1 carb for a huge stick...I'm eating one right now, lol. I bought a pack of Atkins shakes and I'm going to try one tomorrow, I'll report back if they taste good. Great for a quick breakfast.

My mom found some grilled peppers in the refrigerated section, and she's going to make some low-carb friendly chile relleno tomorrow. Yum!

edit: I forgot, if you like holiday food items (like eggnog, peppermint, gingerbread etc) you can buy flavored holiday themed teas. It's not as good as the real thing but it might satisfy the craving or get you into the spirit without going off-plan...I got eggnog flavored tea and it doesn't taste much like eggnog lol but the fact that I'm having something "eggnog" is nice, if that makes sense.

Last edited by Linsy; 11-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #3  

MMM pepperoni!

I also forgot to add

I bought chocolate cocoa covered almonds (3 net carbs for 1/4 a cup)

Sheets of nori (i am going to use it to make wraps like a tuna wrap.

These nori ginger cookies that are 3 net carbs for 3 (they taste so so, prob wouldn't buy again)

Etc
Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

The Atkins cafe caramel shake is actually really good. It tastes like a creamy iced coffee, and it's a pretty big and filling shake for 2 net carbs.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #5  

Yum!

i also accidentally discovered a low carb fruit today.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/car...s/a/feijoa.htm

Someone at work brought them in and I ate 2 thinking I was cheating. Then I saw that they each have 5 net carbs. So I am still doing ok today!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #6  

Cheese crisps! I'd never tried them (though many of you probably have). You basically just spray a cookie sheet with pam (or coat it in oil, for those of you like me that don't have Pam, lol), set the oven to 350, put little piles of cheese on the cookie sheet, bake for 5-7 minutes, and then you have them! Little "crackers" made purely of cheese. Amazing plain or dipped in salsa.
ValentineNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #7  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValentineNicole View Post
Cheese crisps! I'd never tried them (though many of you probably have). You basically just spray a cookie sheet with pam (or coat it in oil, for those of you like me that don't have Pam, lol), set the oven to 350, put little piles of cheese on the cookie sheet, bake for 5-7 minutes, and then you have them! Little "crackers" made purely of cheese. Amazing plain or dipped in salsa.
Yes, lots of us have made them and make them often. Some of my fav things to do with them is to sprinkle ranch dressing mix and coarse ground pepper on them and the other is sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on them when I want something sweet Most of us use parchment paper instead of Pam. Also if you use pepper jack cheese, they don't puff, but become very flat like a chip
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote