Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default New ww plan?

Hi all - so I really like atkins because I lose weight on it and it manages my hunger.

However, I have not been able to balance the OWL portion of it and find myself in stage 1 then totally off plan then stage 1 etc.

On stage 1 I often dont eat the recommended amount of veggies. When I am off plan I eat even worse.

I feel like I am missing out on veggies, fruits, complex grains etc. I know you get to eat all this in OWL - I just cant seem to make it there. And while I think stage 1 is fine for a few months - I am now hitting the 6 month on and off mark and I think I might be doing a disservice to my body.

The new weightwatchers is much more similar to atkins owl than before. It emphasized protein and veggies and lowering carbs etc. Within the program I could still try to eat atkins style (ie more fat than maybe the normal ww would eat etc) I am thinking about trying it in december.

Basically - i know that if I did atkins properly it would work and be healthy but I keep messing myself up. I also know pure calorie counting doesnt work for me (too hungry).

I want to learn how to eat all things in moderation, w a focus on protein, veggies and healthy fat. I feel like I don't learn moderation on atkins because I dont necessarily need to (still lose weight eating 3 hamburger patties and 3 slices of cheese etc - which when I go off it and eat 3 actual hamburgers - is not good).

Any thoughts? I am in the healthy BMI range now (under 150 lbs for me) so I am not worried about losing weight but more maintaining and learning how to eat healthy for life. I would like to lose about 10 lbs for purely selfish reasons - looks and to have a small cushion ie if i get pregnant etc so I do not move back into the overweight category so easily.

Thanks for listening.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I think you should do whatever works for you. I have never done WW in any form but if you think it will help you then go for it! I'm sure all of us in the Atkins forum wouldn't mind if you stuck around and posted if you still want to.

I'm in the same boat as you, by the way. I have a hard time getting my veggies in. I have to season my hamburger/chicken because I have trouble eating it plain, (a few carbs there) I love condiments like ranch, sour cream and guac (another couple of carbs there) and before you know it I already ate over 20 carbs on "on-plan" foods with hardly any veggies...I've been trying to focus more on veggies and less on meat/cheese but I end up just grabbing a handful of nuts and throwing a couple strips of bacon in the microwave.

That being said, I understand how you feel and I too have considered switching plans. Maintenance is a long ways away before I can eat brown rice, fruit, oatmeal etc. Right now I'm trying to stick to Atkins because it helps so much with my hunger, I calorie counted for about a week and was starving. Good luck to you in any plan you choose!

Last edited by Linsy; 12-02-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

remember that owl allows more carbs, so maybe don't avoid the veggies just because you have had 20g carbs in other ways. You can still lose the weight this way for the most part.
Planning your meals better will also help. (I know how hard that is, I am not a big planner)
as to ww, I am in favour of healthy food plans that work for people. Atkins is what works for me, so I will stick there. good luck with finding your path!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/217/165

Height: 5.7

im in the same boat as you and still cant decide to do atkins or go back to ww with the new plan. I know that both plans work if you stick to them. Im so confused about this
proudmommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

You can largely do both. That is use WW to control how much you eat but use Atkins to control what you eat. I don't follow any one eating plan but tend to the lower carb type eating and WW can accomodate that (and even more so with the new plan of course). The strength of WW in a way is that it accomodates a lot of different ways of eating. At the same time, I get eating advice on what to eat from other plans.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote