3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   17 pounds in two weeks!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/215101-17-pounds-two-weeks.html)

fatklr 10-18-2010 11:14 AM

17 pounds in two weeks!!!!

Okay so I got on the scale and found out that I've lost 17 pounds! This is my 2nd weekly weigh in. My roommate is also on Atkins, and we are eating the same exact menu, but she's only lost 7 pounds in two weeks. I'm guessing it's because she's much smaller than I am (she weighs 168 now and I weigh 320 now)

Also, we use ketone strips daily...mine is always purple and hers is always light pink. Can anybody tell me why this is so? We're eating the same exact things and both exercising for 30 minutes Monday through Friday.

mammasita 10-18-2010 11:26 AM

Often times the ketone strips will be PURPLE if you're dehydrated. I know back in the day when I experimented with ketone strips, after a night of drinking they were as purple as purple could be - for me it was obviously dehydration.

Perhaps you can increase your water intake and see what happens.

Congrats on the 17lb loss, that is great - especially in 2 weeks!

readyfreddy 10-18-2010 12:02 PM

Awesome!

Your body could have different carb sensitivity levels than your roomie! some people are in deep ketosis at 20 carbs a day, some light, depending on their carb sensitivity.

Congrats on the 17 lb loss! That is awesome and inspiring. Keep it up!

readyfreddy 10-18-2010 12:03 PM

Ps I see you have boobs and lipo at a goal midway to your overall goal. I would wait until the end of your loss as your skin will fit different for the boobs and you may be able to avoid the lipo!

Most recommend waiting 2-3 months after rapid weightloss to allow the skin to shrink down.

(from someone that had her boobs done ;))

mammasita 10-18-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readyfreddy (Post 3526824)
Ps I see you have boobs and lipo at a goal midway to your overall goal. I would wait until the end of your loss as your skin will fit different for the boobs and you may be able to avoid the lipo!

Most recommend waiting 2-3 months after rapid weightloss to allow the skin to shrink down.

(from someone that had her boobs done ;))

Sorry to hijack your thread fatklr :)

@ readyfreddy - awesome advice....I really REALLY want my boobs lifted :dizzy: and it probably does make the most sense to wait until goal.

fatklr 10-18-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mammasita (Post 3526718)
Often times the ketone strips will be PURPLE if you're dehydrated. I know back in the day when I experimented with ketone strips, after a night of drinking they were as purple as purple could be - for me it was obviously dehydration.

Perhaps you can increase your water intake and see what happens.

Congrats on the 17lb loss, that is great - especially in 2 weeks!

I'm definitely drinking enough water. I totally cut my alcoholic beverages out...I have been contimplating seeing what bacardi and diet pepsi with splenda would do to my ketosis state. Can anyone out there give me any info on that?

mammasita 10-18-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatklr (Post 3526981)
I'm definitely drinking enough water. I totally cut my alcoholic beverages out...I have been contimplating seeing what bacardi and diet pepsi with splenda would do to my ketosis state. Can anyone out there give me any info on that?

LOL well that was my drink of choice.....I'm curious to see how it affects you....

sandyfanny 10-18-2010 04:54 PM

Congratulations to you and your roomie! You essentially lost the same amount of weight. You lost 5% of your beginning body weight and your roomie lost 4.5% of her beginning body weight in two weeks. Tell her; it'll put her loss in perspective.

StephanieM 10-18-2010 09:21 PM

For me, ketone strips always show light pink, it has very rarely been a darker colour. I heard that if you drink lot's of water it will dilute it more .

I drink a ton of water, so I guess that's why mine looks diluted most of the time :) (Unless it's my morning pee!)

fatklr 10-19-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanieM (Post 3527720)
For me, ketone strips always show light pink, it has very rarely been a darker colour. I heard that if you drink lot's of water it will dilute it more .

I drink a ton of water, so I guess that's why mine looks diluted most of the time :) (Unless it's my morning pee!)

Interesting - I will test this out for sure!!! Thanks for the info!

StephanieM 10-19-2010 10:44 AM

Another thing as well, I lost 8 lbs in my first week and the strips were always light pink for me, so they can't always be super accurate but more of a guide!

sd0198 10-19-2010 10:49 AM

What are ketone strips? And what do you use them for? Thanks

StephanieM 10-19-2010 10:59 AM

There are a couple of different brands, the ones I use are called Ketostix. They measure the amount of ketones in your urine. They are meant for diabetics, but you can use them as a aide with Atkins to see if you are in Ketosis properlly.

For some they show nothing even though they lose though, so they really are just a guide. I did a lot of research on them before buying them. They were under 9 dollars after taxes for me (And you guys in the states don't have the lovely HST tax at 12%!)

cdmoree 10-20-2010 05:32 PM

congrads on the 17 lbs

islandchick1 10-21-2010 10:22 PM

I use the Walgreen brand of ketostix. They are a little less than $11.00 for 50.Try your local drugstore and walmart to see if they have their own brand. Same thing just cheaper :)