Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #1  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

Default Canadian Thanksgiving

It'll be our Thanksgiving in a few weeks - Oct. 11th. We normally celebrate with a big lunch on the Sunday before so that'll be the 10th of Oct. I was planning the menu with my sister last night and I naturally added a lot of low carb veggies - rapini, brussels sprouts, broccoli, rutabaga, salad....and she didnt put up a fuss - she actually liked it! I'm still making the mashed potatoes and yams for everyone else - they'll expect it.

My sister in law always makes the turkey and stuffing and I will admit...I LOVE stuffing but I'll steer clear of it this year. I have a goal in mind and each time I have to start Induction over, it puts me one step further from my goal.

How does everyone else handle the holidays?
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #2  
cher37

Our Thanksgiving Day Menu ...

Breakfast: Frittata with peppers, onion, cheese, and bacon.

Lunch: Cauliflower & Cheese soup

Supper: roasted turkey, large salad
Dessert: cheesecake

(it's just the three of us, so this year we'll go all-Atkins, non-traditional, and skip the potatoes, corn on the cob, fresh cranberries, apple pie & ice cream)
Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

My favorite food around Thanksgiving is green bean casserole, so I'm planning on indulging a bit and having some. It's not as bad as eating bread or potatoes. Other than that I think we're going to add some Atkins-friendly foods so I don't have to stray too far from my plan...maybe a pot roast and some veggies (I don't like turkey.) I might also allow myself a piece of cheesecake for dessert.

I'm going to try to not get too worked up about it and stay on plan the best I can while not depriving myself. I'll definitely be steering clear of all of the bread and potatoes.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I always think that the mark of successful dieting ( or actually lifestyle change) is how we get through the holidays. (goes with my one year diet plan) Planning is my mantra. Will also make a low carb dessert as my treat, and otherwise will stick to turkey with lots of low carb veggies/salads.
The other key is distraction. We will have game playing after the supper is done. So that will ensure we have some fun without food.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/194/160

I am working but love turkey dinner so will be roasting a turkey breast and doing up some veggies to take to work. I am thinking green beans, mashed cauliflower, salad
Shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #6  
Livin' La Vida Low Carb!

S/C/G: 350/ticker/200

Height: 5'6"

I envy those of you who can eat low carb desserts. I can't do that. Splenda reacts in me just like sugar. I go on horrible carb binges afterwards. I'll try not to be tempted. It'll be hard but worth it at the end of the day.
Simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #7  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Good ideas...

Sounds like a great plan, Shells. I'm voting for turkey, lots of veggies too.

Simona, Splenda doesn't cause carb binges for me, but I think too much is a "stall" for me. And I tend to want too much of the dessert - it's the sweet taste that seems to make me crave more of something even artificially sweetened. Not surprising, since I've always had a raging "sweet tooth."

I don't know what I'm doing yet. My daughters may be vacationing in Barcelona (!) over Thanksgiving as their "birthday trip." Whatever I do, I won't be eating anything sweet. For me, it's the worst trigger EVER!

My favorite is Carolina cornbread dressing...I can eat a spoonful or two as long as I don't keep it in the house. Leftovers must be sent packing!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote