3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   Recipes from "What's for Dinner?" (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/213247-recipes-whats-dinner.html)

sandyfanny 02-19-2011 09:39 PM

Sherrie's Decadent Brownies

This is Sherrie's recipe posted on "Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions" on the Low Carb Friend's site. I'm posting it as written, but noting the "tweaks."

These are really pretty with the raspberry pink topping. YUM!

Sherrie's Decadent Brownies

1 cup butter
3 tbsp oil (I only used one Tbl.)
1 1/4 cups *Splenda
2 tbsp vanilla
9 tbsp cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
4 large eggs
1 cup ground almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt

Topping

8 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons Splenda (I used 1 Tbls. Splenda and 1 Tbls. s-f raspberry syrup
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until extremely smooth & add splenda, add the egg & vanilla extract: mix well. Set aside.

Oven-350*F
Butter a 9"x13" pan, set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt the butter & chocolate & oil over very low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cool slightly.
Stir in the Splenda & vanilla.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Stir in almond flour, baking powder & salt; mix well.
Spread into the prepared pan.

Carefully spoon the cream cheese filling over the brownie base; lightly swirl filling with a knife to create a pattern. Bake approximately 24 minutes minutes or until set. (Mine took longer; I baked them in a ceramic baking dish sprayed with non-stick at 325 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.)

Test with a toothpick.
Cool completely then cut into squares.

Note: I think the topping could have been sweeter; maybe I should have used 2 tablespoons of Splenda and the syrup.

sandyfanny 02-27-2011 12:47 PM

One Minute English Muffin...with holes!

This is Jennifer Eloff's recipe for English Muffins as posted on "Low Carb Friends" site. It really does have to be split and toasted. It makes a great ham and egg mcmuffin.

1 tsp light-tasting olive oil
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1 1/2 tbsp almond meal
1 tbsp golden flax meal
1/2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp Splenda (does not actually sweeten but helps the flavor)

Whisk all ingredients well in a small bowl. Grease a small ramekin or bowl, add batter and microwave about 1 minute and 30 seconds. Remove by loosening edges and slice in half. Best to toast the muffin.

sandyfanny 02-27-2011 02:12 PM

Lauren's Blueberry Cheesecake Bars...

Here's a link to Lauren's recipe for Blueberry Cheesecake Bars as posted on "Low Carb Friends" site. I haven't made them, but the next time I'm expecting company, I'm going to try them for sure. They look incredible.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ead-crust.html

Note: Not for Induction. Almond flour and blueberries, not so much.

sandyfanny 02-27-2011 02:49 PM

Lauren's Fluffy Biscuits...

Lauren "stumbled upon a recipe by Laura Dolson (about.com) and tweaked it a bit. These take MINUTES to whip up. You will not BELIEVE they are made with almond flour and egg whites! Lovely toasted with sugar-free jam."

Note: Not for Induction, almond flour is not on the Inductions list.

As posted by Lauren on "Low Carb Friends" site:

Fluffy Biscuits

Adapted from a recipe by Laura Dolson

Makes four biscuits

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 tablespoons of unsalted butter or shortening (transfat-free!)
1 cup plus two tablespoons of almond flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg whites

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

The technique for these biscuits is simple. All you need is a fork and couple of bowls. Follow these easy steps to biscuit perfection!

1. Cut cold fat (butter or shortening) into dry ingredients with the tines of your fork, rotating the bowl around with your other hand until the mixture has pea-sized chunks throughout.

2. Chill mixture in the fridge for 5-10 minutes or as long as you can stand it. The longer the better. The more the fat can get cold and hard, the puffier your biscuits will be.

3. Separate the egg yolks from the whites (using the shell halves to tip the yolk back and forth a few times). Reserve yolks (save all that creamy goodness for ice cream or homemade mayo!) and whisk egg whites with a fork in a bowl for 20 seconds, until no longer stringy and gloopy. You just want 'em a little foamy.

4. Remove mixture from fridge and whisk in the egg whites for a couple of seconds, breaking up any massive chunks in the dough with your whisk or fork. It'll be an extremely runny dough with chunks of the almond mixture. Pour it into greased foil-lined ramekins/nonstick muffin cups/a muffin top pan and get that sucker in the hot oven before the fat can even THINK about softening!

IF YOU ARE USING FOIL-LINED RAMEKINS, bake for 15 minutes. IF YOU ARE USING A MUFFIN TOP PAN, bake for 12 minutes. The edges of these biscuits stick really badly, so be sure to grease liberally whatever vessel you're using to bake these. Some sort of non-stick pan works best here! Silicone muffin cups are great, too. Foil-lined ramekins are alright, but you have to gently tease the muffins out of the foil.

~2.5 grams net carbs per biscuit!

sandyfanny 02-27-2011 03:08 PM

Cheddar Cheese & Parmesan Herb Biscuits...

Two variations Lauren posted on her Fluffy Biscuits:

Garlic Cheddar Biscuits

One basic biscuit recipe
4-8 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

Add most of the cheese and all of the garlic powder to dry ingredients. Cut in shortening and chill dough. Whisk in egg whites and fill ramekins. Top with a bit of the reserved cheese. Bake as directed.

Parmesan Herb Biscuits

One basic biscuit recipe
4-8 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried italian herb blend

Add most of the cheese and all of the herbs to dry ingredients. Cut in shortening and chill dough. Whisk in egg whites and fill ramekins. Top with a bit of the reserved cheese. Bake as directed.

sandyfanny 02-27-2011 03:18 PM

Lauren's Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits...

Lauren posted this sweet variation of her Fluffy Biscuits on "Low Carb Friends" site. Here's a link to her blog and recipe site:

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

Sweet Cinnamon Biscuits

Add to the basic dough recipe for Fluffy Biscuits:

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 teaspoons sweetener (I used erythritol)
1/8-1/4 teaspoon stevia

For Cinnamon Swirl:
1 tablespoon organic unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses or honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon pure stevia extract
1 teaspoon erythritol (powdered in your coffee grinder)
2 teaspoons water
pinch of xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)
pinch of sea salt

Add vanilla and sweeteners to dry ingredients. Cut in shortening and chill dough. Melt butter and molasses together in a microwave safe dish for 15-20 seconds, until butter is melted. Stir in stevia, erythritol, water, xanthan gum, and sea salt. Heat mixture in microwave for another 15 seconds or so until erythritol is dissolved. Pop the filling into the fridge and let it cool until it thickens a bit. Whisk egg whites into flour mixture and fill ramekins. Dollop cinnamon filling on top of the dough in a swirl and bake as directed.

sandyfanny 02-28-2011 08:50 AM

Orange Chocolate Minute Muffin

Christiansmom posted this recipe on "Low Carb Friends" site. It sounds delicious!

Note: Not for Induction. Almond flour and sugar-free chocolate are not on Induction lists.

Orange Chocolate Minute Muffin

1/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp splenda
Pinch of salt
2 Tbsp butter; melted
2 tsp. Vanilla Torani's SF Syrup
1 Egg; beaten
1 tsp. orange extract (or more if you like a stronger flavor)
1 piece of SF Dove Chocolate; chopped up

Mix together dry ingredients in a large coffee mug. Mix together wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Mix again. Gently swirl in the chocolate shavings (reserve a sprinkle for a topping). Cook in the microwave for 1 minute and 10 seconds (longer if it still looks wet). Take out and sprinkle chocolate on the top.

I actually made the muffins in the picture, in the oven. It made 3 muffins. I sprayed the muffin pan with cooking spray, filled with the batter. Topped with the chocolate pieces and cooked at 350 for 13 minutes but I watched them closely. They may not need that long or they may need a tad longer depending on your oven.

sandyfanny 04-29-2011 11:17 AM

Big Mac in a Bowl...

I found this recipe in an Ideal Protein posting; I may try it for lunch if I can find a recipe for Induction-friendly Thousand Island dressing.

Big Mac in a Bowl

* 1/2 pound raw ground beef, about 5 1/2 ounces cooked weight or 153 grams cooked *
* Salt and pepper, to taste
* 2 teaspoons minced dry onions (recipe as written: 1 tsp.)
* 3 teaspoons Mt. Olive Dill Pickle Relish (recipe as written: 46 grams dill pickle slices or 2 dill spears, chopped, about 1 5/8 ounces)
* 2 tablespoons Thousand Island Dressing (recipe above) as written: Walden Farms Thousand Island Dressing
* 1 1/2 ounces iceberg lettuce, shredded

Brown the ground beef, drain off any fat, season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, soak the dry onions in a little water to rehydrate them. Put the meat in a large salad bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Toss and eat at once.

sandyfanny 04-29-2011 11:47 AM

Thousand Island Dressing

"Kraft" Thousand Island Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used Kraft Olive Oil mayonnaise)
2 tablespoons Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketsup (sweetened with Sucralose)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons splenda
2 teaspoons Mt. Olive sugar-free sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon white onion, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash black pepper

Mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. (You may want to reduce the Splenda to 1 tsp. and taste it after an hour; it seems a little sweet with the 2tsps)

*This recipe is adapted from CDKitchen.

sandyfanny 05-04-2011 05:17 PM

Mushroom Chicken and Sausage Casserole

This recipe is from "Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes" site.

MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

3-4 cups diced cooked chicken
1 pound pork sausage
1 stalk celery, chopped fine
1 tablespoon onion, chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
16 ounce bag frozen cauliflower, cooked well and drained
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Paprika, optional

Brown the sausage with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir the softened cream cheese into the sausage mixture until well blended. Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower. Mix all of the ingredients and spread in a greased 9x13" baking dish. If desired, dust the top with paprika. Bake, covered with foil, at 350º for about 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until hot and bubbly and the top is lightly browned, about 10-15 minutes.
Makes 8-12 servings
Can be frozen
Per 1/8 Recipe: 550 Calories; 40g Fat; 42g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 Recipe: 440 Calories; 32g Fat; 34g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/12 Recipe: 367 Calories; 27g Fat; 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/5_star.gif This is based on Dottie's Sausage, Mushroom and Cream Cheese Chicken Casserole. This is a favorite. It tastes like chicken and dressing.

sandyfanny 05-22-2011 10:29 AM

Pound Cake

This recipe is from "Low Carb Friends" site, courtesy of Kimmy. It really does have the texture and the density of pound cake. I topped it with sugar-free strawberry preserves and whipped cream. Not too shabby!

Not for Induction: almond flour is not on the allowed foods list.

I cut mine in half, ate half as dessert in the evening and enjoyed the other half with a cup of coffee the next morning. I think the flavor and texture were really better in the morning.

Pound Cake

2 tablespoons splenda
*one tablspoon butter
*2 tablespoons cream cheese
*one egg
*teaspoon baking powder
*teaspoon vanilla
*half teaspoon lemon extract (I used orange - no lemon in the house)
*pinch salt
*1/4 cup almond flour or meal

Make sure the butter and cream cheese are soft. Whisk all ingredients in a small, deep bowl. Whisk well and microwave for 2 minutes in a small non-stick sprayed bowl or ramekin. Turn your little cake out onto a cooling rack.

Top with whipped cream, berries if you're eating them, or sugar-free preserves. Enjoy.

sandyfanny 07-25-2011 12:34 PM

Dottie's "Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes"

"Just Like Stuffed Baked Potatoes" *

I cut the amount of cheese to 6 oz. cream cheese and 6 oz. cheddar cheese; I love cheese, but don't need 16 oz. in a recipe. Next time, I'll try it 4 oz. and 4 oz. and see if it's still delicious.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/just_li..._potatoes.html

sandyfanny 07-25-2011 08:43 PM

Oven Barbecued Chicken

Oven Barbecued Chicken

4-6 chicken thighs, skin on
salt, pepper
olive oil
1/4 - 1/2 c. Kraft's Original Light Barbecue Sauce*

*If you can find Scott's Barbecue Sauce, it's an almost clear vinegar N.C. sauce and has no carbs. It will be best to marinate your chicken in a ziplock in the refrigerator for at least an hour if you're using Scott's.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Salt and pepper both sides of chicken thighs to taste. Heat 3 T. olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Brown chicken pieces in olive oil.

Spray a baking dish (I use a 9 x 11 Pyrex dish) with Pam. Lay the browned chicken pieces in the dish and top each piece with a tablespoon or two of the barbecue sauce. Bake chicken uncovered 45 min. - 1 hr. until the juices run clear and the chicken has a nicely browned barbecue top.

sandyfanny 07-26-2011 01:27 PM

Chocolate Orange Mousse

Here's a link for Chocolate Orange Mousse from the Atkin's site. It's really Chocolate Mint Mousse, but I don't have any mint extract; and I love the flavors of chocolate with orange.

If you whip the cream in a small, deep narrow glass mixing bowl and put it and your beaters in the freezer for a while before you use them, your cream will whip quickly and have lots of volume. I bought a little white glass bowl in New Orleans at an antique shop that's perfect for whipping cream and egg whites.

Once you add the protein powder, the cream mixture gets very firm really quickly.

Chocolate Orange Mousse*

http://www.recipe.com/chocolate-mint-mousse/

I substitute orange extract for the mint listed in the recipe.

I also add 2 T. of Torani Sugar-Free Chocolate Syrup before I add the protein powder.

I think it could be a little sweeter; next time I make this, I'm going to add a tablespoon of Splenda or Stevia for my taste.

sandyfanny 08-01-2011 01:06 PM

Cheese Crust Pizza

Faklr's recipe for low-carb pizza with a cheese crust:

Cheese Crust Pizza

Crust:
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
3 eggs
Garlic powder
Basil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together and spread thinly on parchment paper. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Pat excess grease from cheese and add toppings. Bake an additional 5 minutes.

Ragu Traditional Pizza Sauce (5 carbs per two tablespoons). Add mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, onions, black olives, mushrooms and green peppers. Saute the onions, mushrooms and green peppers before putting them on the pizza.