Old 08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #1  
cher37

Default Raquel Welch ... original Atkins girl?

... something you'all might find interesting

I'm reading Raquel Welch's autobiography "Beyond the Cleavage" & although she credits her nutritionist for her diet guidelines, it sounds an awful lot like Atkins to me!!!

She does not mix proteins and carbohydrates in the same meal (if she does has carbs, ie. pasta, it'll be with a marinara sauce & low starch green veggies).

* here's my point* she'll have a "1/4 lb portion of protein for the main course with a generous portion of low-starch green veggies (asparagus, spinach, broccoli, grean beans, zucchini, summer squash, yellow squash, artichokes, snow peas) or a green salad" - albeit she goes low fat (ie. no avocados, cheese, olives) w. olive oil and lemon or vinegar for dressing

And she does not mix fruit (high in sugar content) with vegetables or protein at the same meal, but waits at least a half hour after eating or between meals to have a raw apple, or will heat up some fruit to have with breakfast.

- Granted, not strict Atkins guidelines - but hey, look at her! She does confess to having energy highs & lows - here's a thought, maybe if she added some fat into her diet (like Atkins suggests ) she'd be better off!

In closing I'll leave you with some words of wisdom from Raquel,
I would never encourage you to be casual about following your personalized eating plan. But if you should sneak in a "side" of fries, or maybe a piece of chocolate cake, don't beat yourself up over it. Usually, after the first two weeks of any diet the urge to cheat is gone.... I highly recommend these principles to any woman over forty, which is when I adopted this way of eating. If you've already hit fifty or sixty and fallen into bad habits, you're not alone. It just takes a little time and resolve to adjust. In either case, keep sight of your goal, knowing that healthy eating habits can help you drop unwanted pounds, unlock vital energy, waken your senses, and increase your metal clarity. Oh, and you'll look great too!
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Sounds more like the fit for life/body for life diets. With the idea of not mixing starch and protein, and fruit on an empty stomach. Not an Atkins follower, but the post caught my eye.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

sommersizing is also strict about these food mixes, no fat with carbs, fruit not with other foods etc.
but very sensible none the less. I wonder what she did if she needed to lose a few? did she just go low on the carbs? or shrink portions? or did she not need to diet to lose because she stayed slim on her sensible diet?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #4  
cher37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I wonder what she did if she needed to lose a few? did she just go low on the carbs? or shrink portions? or did she not need to diet to lose because she stayed slim on her sensible diet?
She'd Cut the fruit & exercise more (Rachel used to be in beauty pageants, modeling & acting)
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #5  

she looks absolutely great too! It really does sound like carb control. She always has a glow to her too...probably from all that yummy protein and veggies
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 260.2/228/145

Height: 5'4"

There are alot of beautiful people that when they ask how they maintain their figure, the menu is always some version of low carb!!!
hairchick40v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #7  
cher37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
she looks absolutely great too! It really does sound like carb control. She always has a glow to her too...probably from all that yummy protein and veggies
I agree!
Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #8  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

She is one gorgeous woman...and has been since I can remember! Thanks for the post, Cher.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #9  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Seriously! Check her out in 2010 -- at age 70! Amazing.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote