Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default back to induction planned

I have been increasing carbs a bit and now average 50-60 g /day, but have been having difficulty with my blood sugars and weight loss has stalled. I am planning to go back to induction, starting a week monday, (the 23rd) after my holidays are done. (I have a couple of weddings and a family picnic before then, and while I can stick to lower carb, I don't think I will be able to do induction at those).
I picked up the new book before coming to the cottage, since I only had the old one from the library. I also did induction more on my own, so am kind of looking forward to the menu plan. BUT, there are a few things that I will be changing.
I don't like the use of atkins bars in induction, and they do raise my sugars too much anyhow. ( and how a bar with 19 g carbs and one of fibre come out to 3 net g carbs anyhow doesn't make sense to me)
But meals that include them can just be substituted for other meals. I do use the shakes because they are easy to carry when working if I can't get appropriate food at some point, and they are truly low carb, not low "net" carbs.
Some meals also recommend a "low carb dairy drink" and I can't find anything in the book that refers to what they mean. As well, there are some things that recommend a 3g carb piece of rye toast. Can't find anything around here that will fit that description, but since I am allergic to rye, I will substitute something else, but any ideas for that?
Has anyone else followed induction from the new book, and how did you find it. ANyone able to compare old and new?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #2  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Here is the original 1972 Induction program, which some find the most effective:

ATKINS 72 Induction Plan

The first two weeks according to the 72 book, but can be longer if you have a significant amount of weight to lose. *max recommended is 6 months.

NOTE* This is from the book, Bantam edition / September 1972 paperback...

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams

Here's how this diet is significantly different. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.

This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body's stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger
disappears.

You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours.

So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.

It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.

This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger.

A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it's fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you're to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this, keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine.

So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet. Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don't count calories
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.
3. Don't eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don't feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don't restrict fluids¦ but it is not necessary to force them either.(It doesn't say anything about 1/2 your body weight in water)
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on "low-calorie" drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.

Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity - except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged "cold cuts"

Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing

Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )

Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee

* Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.

Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish

Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet - any style and without limitations(another NO LIMIT)

Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus green olives.

Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).

Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime

Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk - so don't use milk)

Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.

What Happens After The First Week's Diet:

Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that - because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
I've labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow 'second level', 'third level', 'fourth level', 'fifth level', but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you've missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.

How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate:
Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.

If you are ready, then you can proceed to level one!

All the best to you!

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-11-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: corrected first line
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Thank you so much for posting this; I have 80 pounds and some change to lose, and I'm tired of fooling around with being fat. I'm going to give this version a try! I really appreciate your help.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with sandyfanny -- THANK YOU for posting the low-carb rules. I've read the book and have done well on the diet -- but it sure helps to have a reminder in such a nice condensed form! (I printed it off so I can refer to it occasionally). Thanks again!
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Yeah thanks for posting the rules a reminder is always nice.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #6  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

No tomatoes, no onion, no cooked veggies on this version. Woo Hoo! It's tough, but I'll bet it works FAST. I have some veggies to eat up, but then I'm doing this version for two weeks. Maybe beginning next Monday or Tuesday.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I don't like the use of atkins bars in induction, and they do raise my sugars too much anyhow. ( and how a bar with 19 g carbs and one of fibre come out to 3 net g carbs anyhow doesn't make sense to me)
But meals that include them can just be substituted for other meals. I do use the shakes because they are easy to carry when working if I can't get appropriate food at some point, and they are truly low carb, not low "net" carbs.
Some meals also recommend a "low carb dairy drink" and I can't find anything in the book that refers to what they mean. As well, there are some things that recommend a 3g carb piece of rye toast. Can't find anything around here that will fit that description, but since I am allergic to rye, I will substitute something else, but any ideas for that?
Has anyone else followed induction from the new book, and how did you find it. ANyone able to compare old and new?
I apologize but, I am going to add my 2 cents here regarding Atkins Induction.

Despite what Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is printing on those Atkins bars label's....they are NOT appropriate for Induction. The contain ingredients like Milk, Soy & Peanuts, none of which are on the acceptable foods list for Induction. And as for the confusing net carb counts they boast on the front label, they calculate them by deducting glycerin because they claim it does not raise blood sugar. If you are still confused, you may want to read this article. I'm sure you will find it quite the eye-opener.
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

The Atkins shakes contain milk (not acceptable on Induction). When I put the information into the hidden carb calculator, the advertised carb counts on those don't add up either. The vanilla shakes say 1 net carb on the label, yet truly contain 7.36 actual carbs!

"Low Carb dairy drink" & 3 carb rye toast on Induction??? Well....that may be "new" Atkins but, I am sure Dr. Atkins would be rolling in his grave if he could see the way the plan he researched & wrote has been massacred

I can only vouge for Atkins 2002, it works and has worked for me for over 6 years now.

Sadly, Atkins Nutritonals Inc. is more concerned with profit than with sticking to Dr. Atkins original plan

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #8  
Madeleine

thanks Kim and silverlife, this is really helpful. The new book doesn't even mention getting into ketosis, except to give a definition, doesn't talk about getting into ketosis at all. I will have to cruise the 2nd hand book stores for an older book, clearly the new one isn't going to get me what I need.
As Kim has said, read and reread the book, and I think I need the original. If I'm going to do induction, may as well do it right.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

So glad I have the old book.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

actually you can cook a cup of spinach or chard and serve it swimming in butter. It's less than 1/4 cup but might help if you are having a major cooked veggie craving... I love the buttery spinach and garlic spread on a slab of Salmon. Good for dinner and left overs plus a slice of swiss cheese in a three egg omelet... OMG!
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
thanks Kim and silverlife, this is really helpful. The new book doesn't even mention getting into ketosis, except to give a definition, doesn't talk about getting into ketosis at all. I will have to cruise the 2nd hand book stores for an older book, clearly the new one isn't going to get me what I need.
As Kim has said, read and reread the book, and I think I need the original. If I'm going to do induction, may as well do it right.
I think the newer books focus on selling the Atkin's products.

I cut up the original bars into cubes and freeze them so I can have a mouthful of something sweet and these small amounts do not seem to slow down weight loss or raise my blood sugar.

I did Atkins last about 30 years ago before all this "low carb" food was available. When I decided to lose weight this time I was pretty excited about the candy! However, though I do not GAIN weight when I have tried adding the candy, even in SMALL amounts, I NEVER lose weight either. Like someone else already commented, the candy does raise my blood sugar, so I just don't buy it anymore.

Last edited by nancymae; 08-22-2010 at 06:19 PM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #12  
Re-newbie

S/C/G: 161/139/128

Height: 5'4"

And speaking of candy, it is pretty easy to make some of your own that is Atkins friendly: you could use cream cheese (not during the Induction as given from 1972...but at least after Induction), some Splenda, and unsweetened cocoa powder to make round, dusted "truffles." Around Christmastime and special holidays you could roll them in other goodies, like finely chopped nuts. There really are some delicious and easy to make sweet things that are allowed if you take a little time.
firefly68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Candy....yum...I found Ice Breakes sours have <1 g carbs. per piece. However it does use aspartame, so if that slows weight loss for you, stay away.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #14  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

I don't know if this will be of use to anyone, but I thought I'd post, in case it is. I did the "backing into Induction" process, making changes over several months, without knowing that some do that on purpose to get to Induction. Cutting out all the things was a natural course of progression for me. One day I read the 1972 Induction list and realized that my choices had led me there.

When I first decided to go low carb, I read something about older people needing to make the changes slowly, in small steps, so I did.

It took me almost three weeks to become keto-adapted. Once that clicked in, the appetite was naturally under control, and the lethargy which some call "Induction flu or cold" left. I was not eating the Standard American Diet, so my transition to following a really clean, low carb food plan was very natural for me.

I really enjoy not eating grains, legumes, polyunsaturated oils, prepared/packaged foods, or sweets/sugar/honey/artificial sweeteners.

This process has taken me many years, and I am most delighted I have found this way of eating.

I don't drink caffeine as it bothers me, but never noticed it disturbed my being able to lose weight. I don't use condiments or spices (except a tiny bit of black pepper), or eat things which taste sweet, as they trigger an appetite. I already have a good appetite, I don't need appetite stimulants.

I am in pre-maintenance and am glad that I have found a way to eat I can depend on. It's so nice to be able to trust the biochemistry of eating this kind of food.

I am one of those who prefers the 1972 plan.

Sending you all best wishes.

Last edited by SilverLife; 08-23-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: corrected error
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #15  
Madeleine

Started this am, but by planning, I actually was practically in induction the last week, ate very carefully except for some chocolate treats at the wedding on Saturday. Lost a pound from that. So heres hoping 2 weeks of induction will really kick start things.
have a good week everyone.