Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #1  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Question Questions on Type 2 Diabetes

I am a Type 2 diabetic and have been diagnosed since May 15 of this year. I tried the American Diabetes Diet and did not find my blood sugars going down very fast at all. I think it has to many carbs in it. I also did South Beach and did loose some weight in the beginning and also thought it allowed way to many carbs.

I came across the Atkins Diabetic Revolution written in 2005. I know the lady who helped write this worked with Dr. Atkins and also has a weight problem. I need some of your expert advise from this board if I should order the book and try this. I do have my fasting blood sugar values between 98 and 113 depending what I eat. I need to loose the rest of my weight and to stop the tingling feeling in my feet. I have read this could help, lower my triglycerides and blood sugars.

Please help. My dietician will speak of nothing about Atikns nor my doctor. It is the same retoric you get from the professionals. I am in good health other then the type 2 diabetes. I also exercise to Walking Away the pounds and weight lift. Also, how are you feeling on your Atkins way of living?

Thank you for your help and any suggestion would so be appreciated from this newbie.

Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

In addition to Atkins for diabetics, you could look into Dr Bernstein who is himself a diabetic & has low carb plan for diabetics. There are also a few low-carb forums on the web, many of which have groups of diabetics.

Good luck - I'm not diabetic but I think I was heading there if I didn't change something, and I've found low carb amazing. All my life I've been hungry - eating too much at meals, hungry just after meals, worrying about going between meals etc - with low carb that just went away. I've lost some weight, I feel good, but the main major change for me is the hunger. I'm pretty sure that's because my insulin and other hormones are now under control.

Dieticians & diabetes educators are unlikely to be helpful in this -- they go from set formulas and there are VERY few who know much about low carb eating and it's success in managing diseases including diabetes. You could also try to google 'low carb doctors' and see if there is anyone in your area.

Last edited by sarahinparis; 09-21-2009 at 04:34 AM.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Funny story....my 79 year old Dad is a type 2, insulin dependant diabetic....2 insulin injections per day. A few months ago, he had his bloodwork done & went to his Dr. His numbers were elevated. His Dr. immediately said "Sam, you've been eating a lot of bread haven't you?" The truth is, yes...he had been eating a lot of bread. His Dr. told him "ok, we can try adjusting your diet for several weeks and see if that helps...if not, you will need to take another insulin injection". His Dr. said "I want you to eat meat, low sugar/low starch vegetables, salad, cheese & eggs". The name ATKINS was never spoken....but, what this Dr. described is 100% Atkins. I bought a copy of Dr. Atkins Diabetic Revolution and gave it to my Mother. She read it and she prepares Dad's meals according to that book. Shortly after eating this way, Dad went for bloodwork and went back to his Dr. His Dr. told him "Good work Sam, I see you followed my advice!" And still....Atkins has never been mentioned
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I think most doctors are afraid of Atkins because it has a reputation as a fad diet & then the company starts selling all this stuff (kind of justifying a less-than-stellar reputation).

But there is more and more recognition in the scientific world of the role of carbs - especially refined grains & sugars - in metabolic diseases in general & diabetes in particular. The AHA just issued a statement urging people to reduce sugar consumption. That is HUGE for them (given the lobbying and their history).

I think carb restriction (not necessarily Atkins) will be looked at more as the obesity continues and the medical system looks into effective treatments. It'll be slow going, but i think there wil be some change.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote