How often do you weigh yourself?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Taking a poll I guess. I want to weigh myself every day but for me at least, when I go up or down a lb. it really frustrates me which then leads to me losing motivation.

Do you have a set time/day of the week that you weigh yourself?
  • My hubby and I weigh in on Thursday am's only!!!
  • I weigh in every morning, because I compete in the weight loss challenges, and most of us update every day. I only put my 'Official Weight Watchers' weight on my tracker, though!
  • Every morning as soon as I get up...I only record every Sunday though.
  • Every single day. I don't let the day to day variations get me down. I only look at loss over time but the daily weighing keeps me honest and I am reminded every day how far I've come. It's a motivational moment each time even if it has some fluctuations.
  • Everyday. A couple years ago I saw a study where they found that folks who lost weight and kept it off for 5 years or more were almost exclusively those who weighed themselves every morning and who exercised religiously.

I decided that's for me! I exercise 1 hour to 1:15 hour every single day (unless on holidays) and I weigh me as a reminder as I start my day. So far so good!
  • Thanks everyone - I need to not have my mood dictated by a few fluctuations on the scale, huh. You all are doing great!
  • In the beginning i weighed myself every morning and recorded it, but I let it get to me when I gained a hundred grams one day, even if twice as much was gone the next. Then my boyfriend took my scale for a week. A weighed myself on sunday and wouldn't get to do it again until saturday. By thursday night I was freaking out because I was sure I had gained. I ended it a day early and weighed myself on friday morning - and I it was one of my best weeks in terms of losing.

Now I weigh myself every morning, but I only write it down on saturdays. This way I feel I'm in control and don't develop any habits (like too much cheese.. )that would make the scale go the wrong way for several days in a row, but at the same time if I'm retaining water I don't feel like it ruins the weight loss that "counts". It's all mind games really.
  • I weigh myself every morning. It seems I am have been losing a pound or two a day so far. The first week I lost a lot of weight but I think it was because of water weight. I don't think I could put weighing myself off for a whole week. It would drive me insane! I would be exercising myself to death.

I really think weighing in every morning before I eat or workout helps me make sure I am still losing weight. I will know if I am getting stalled or not.
  • Officially I weigh myself every 10 days.

Unofficially I'll check the scales once or twice between my official weigh ins.

Now, when I catch myself doing it more frequently I put a stop to it because I'm one of those individuals who gets frustrated by the normal fluctuations of the scale.
  • 2nd thing I do every morning. Go to the restroom and then step on the scale. I only record every Sunday though. The daily fluctuations can be frustrating - it's amazing to see a 4 lb gain or loss over a single 24 hour period! But if I gain I know that means more water is needed.

It helps me to stay motivated as I see where I am now compared to where I used to be months and months ago. 220 seemed impossible at one time, so it's a good reminder for me every day that I've done something right.
  • I struggle with this a lot. I could weigh myself 4 or 5 times a day. However, I get so frustrated by the scale and I hate the power that it has over me. I don't want a number to decide how I feel about the day.

I don't know what to do. Everyday I think, I'm not going to weigh myself every morning and every morning, I weigh myself.
  • Push the "Easy" button
    You can stop weighing yourself constantly - put your scale in the trash or stash it with a friend who lives far enough away that you won't run by constantly to weigh.

I weigh every 7 - 10 days at my doctor's office. His nurse buzzes me in, I weigh myself and I'm done. Nobody sees it but me, no one records it but me. Easy.
  • I weigh in every morning, I feel like it keeps me motivated. If I am up a pound, I work harder. If I am down a pound and keep on going.
  • Whatever works!
    We are beautiful in our differences.