Starting Phase 1

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am going to start atkins Sunday July 27,08 I have about 25- 30 lbs. to lose I am 5'0 and 54 years young. I notice that there is a new edition out. Does anyone know the difference?
  • to 3FC and low carb!

Kim (our resident expert) will be able to tell you about any differences (if there are any) between the editions.
  • I read somewhere (I think a Kim post?) to use 2002 or before. The new ones are trying to sell product or something.
  • & to Atkins!!

Any of the books 2002 (prior to Dr Atkins death in 2003) or sooner, are your best bet. Unfortunately, since the good Dr's death, Atkins Nutritionals Inc. has become much more interested in making money by pushing the bars & shakes and advertising them as being "appropriate for Induction" when they clearly are not. You might find it useful to read: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

I also don't recommend the new Atkins website. You might want to have a look at the Veronica Atkins Foundation website: http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/
    She is proudly carrying on her husband's eating plan the way he designed it!

You CAN do this!!!

All the best to you!!
  • Hello everyone! i need support
    Hello out there!
    I"m 29 and am turning the big 3-0 in december
    i've already lost 20 lbs on a pseudo-atkins program, but it was really strict- just lean meats cooked in water and broccoli and apples- a little strange and hard, so i figured i would try and lose the rest on this!! i miss some fat! (well eating it, not having it on my body)
    so, about me- i'm in arizona and i work in higher education
    i have a great hubby who has seen me struggle with my weight after a thyroid problem- which sucks, but i've gotten over that part at least
    anyway!!! so, i want to lose about 40 more lbs
    i'm 6'0" tall and 210
    i want to be 170
    in all reality, i want to be 140- but for now we'll stick to 170- well let's get into the 100's shall we!
    So, i want to do it by december, because i refuse to spend the next couple years like i have spent these last- i was never overweight until by thyroid dysfunctioned, but i was able to actually start losing weight this year after 3 years of battling with the pills and crap!
    So, i figure- perfect timing and i'm so excited- but i totally need support
    Anyone around 210 wanting to get down into the 100's
    Please get in touch- i need buddies and friends!!!! everyone i work with is super-skinny!!! and they eat horribly- so i need people outside my work to be friends with!!!! and i will totally email you when you need me to because i am an internet junkie- i teach college online too
    Ok- so enough about me- please respond if you are interested!!!
    good luck everyone
    we can totally do this together!!!!!
    luv, me
  • We can do this!
    Hi,

I'm new to 3FC too, and on induction a week tomorrow. My big thrill has been buying some Ketostix and seeing them turn a satisfying shade of fat-burning. I was afraid I've been fat too long for my body to know what to do. Yay, Body!

I'm doing a lot of reading recommended on the 3FC store pgs. Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? is really good if you are a little (or a lot) disorganized and feel overwhelmed in several life arenas. I also read 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet and found it helpful and encouraging. And I read Confessions of a Carb Queen; it was scary to see so much of myself in her and empowering to read about her successful battle with her weight.

I haven't weighed yet; I probably will do it tomorrow. I go to my dr.'s office and weigh there; I threw my own scale literally in the trash one day several years ago. I don't think I want to buy another one. I hope I'll have a loss to post online. We can do this!
  • I do have couple of questions How do I put a weight tracker on my posts I am not every good at computer? Do I have to give up my coffee? I drink it black
  • Quick Links
    I posted my tracker using the Quick Links tab - edit signature - I think. Just follow the directions, step by step.

Coffee should be de-caffeninated, but I haven't made that leap yet. I'm drinking my regular coffee...I'm not sure why it's a bad thing. Jerseygirl or snapless?
  • I get all the way up to copy and paste. I click on the user cp and I don,t see the edit signature
  • Sorry but you cannot post a tracker until you have 20 posts and have been here 20 days. We were having spammer problems and had to put in that rule.
  • Thanks for the help So I guess will wait for 20 days
  • You'll have good news on your tracker...
    The twenty days will pass quickly, and you'll have a nice loss to report on your tracker. Unlike me...I registered with 3FC, but then played around for two weeks before I decided to commit to losing the fat. I kept reading the posts, checking the threads, thinking about it until I actually started working the Atkin's diet. So I look like a ninny...I have a tracker and no loss to report - until maybe tomorrow. Think thin thoughts - the scale awaits me!
  • This is day 1 so far so good I do have a little headache but I guess that will pass
  • Quote: Coffee should be de-caffeninated, but I haven't made that leap yet. I'm drinking my regular coffee...I'm not sure why it's a bad thing. Jerseygirl or snapless?
    According to what I know (and I'm not on Atkins, simply a variation of it - but Induction was identical):

1. There are carbs in caffeinated beverages. Yes, it is a very low amount but it is still there.
    2. Caffeine can cause cravings for carbs (hence the coffee+donut sales). Caffeine can dramatically increase your cravings and if you do not have the ability to control those cravings you will go off plan. Most of us do not have the ability to control those cravings - that's how we got fat in the first place.
    3. For diabetics especially, caffeine can cause a spike in blood sugars and decrease insulin sensitivity.

While the above does not affect everyone, it affects a significant number of people that the advice of 'no caffeine while on Induction' should apply to all.

In addition, you are trying to detox your body for those 2 weeks. You'll be able to have caffeine again (in moderate amounts) as soon as Induction is over.
  • Thanks, Snapless
    Good information...thank you. I can have some very powerful carb cravings; I don't need anything to intensify them. And, yes, there is that fatifying coffee and dessert thing I don't need either. Isn't fatifying a good word?