Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default Looking to start, need support

Hi,

I'm glad I found this forum. Ok, so my life is really busy, and I used to be sort of thin, when I had time to exercise a lot more. These days, even getting up at 5am, I hardly have time, so I know diet is key if I want to get thinner.

I have a sweet tooth and a large appetite and never seem satisfied. I've never really been considered fat or obese, but these days, all my clothes are tight and I can feel my arms jiggling and my thighs are much too large.

I need a change. I've done Atkins once before, when I wanted to lose weight after a pregnancy. I did lose weight but not too much. I lost about 15 pounds over 6 months. I never was able to stick with Atkins, mainly because my kids have foods in the house and when I get cravings, I have 0 willpower.

So, I plan to start tomorrow on Induction. I know what I can and cannot eat. I have used keto sticks in the past to see if I was in ketosis and they never changed color!!

So, I need very fast, pre planned foods all the time. Eggs are good but how many can I eat? Also, I used to eat eggs, turkey bacon, coffee and heavy cream, some veggies (greens) or salad, and I'm just feeling like there's not much I enjoy on Atkins because I love fruits and I love my Fiber one stuff! So how will I get by without all this!!!

Help! Need support.
TOOFAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:39 AM   #2  
mjf

If you were never able to stick with Atkins, then maybe it's not the right diet for you. If you want results, you should pick a diet that you can stick with.

For the average person, 3 eggs per day should be ok (but for some people 3 may be too many). Heavy cream is high in saturated fat so be careful not to have too much. Fruit is good for you (but I don't know if Atkins allows it), and of course vegetables are good for you. I just looked at the nutrition label for Fiber One bars, and it doesn't look very healthy (it has added sugar and too much fiber; it's better to spread out your fiber throughout the day).

A few healthy snacks that you may want to consider (that don't require any preparation) are nuts, greek yogurt (plain), and canned salmon.

Last edited by mjf; 03-19-2017 at 04:53 AM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:22 AM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

I don't believe that way"If you were never able to stick with Atkins, then maybe it's not the right diet for you.") Sweets and carbs keep your blood sugar up and that makes you feel hungry. The problem is that your blood sugar keeps spiking, not that you are "hungry." Hungry is like-- I am going to starve to death for real. Blood sugar spiking is more like-- I am at a good weight, or over weight, and I feel hungry.

Keto diets lower your need for food. That is because you are eating the fat that is inside of you. It takes about 4 weeks for you to get into that "un-hungry" mode. A lot of people give in to their cravings before that. I don't know about you, but the diseases caused by obesity include some of the worst. I would rather not have diabetes, or heart disease.

What motivates me is that my brother, died of diabetes, my sister died of heart disease, my father and mother died of either/ or.

The latest medical information is that exersise makes no difference to weight loss. It is great that you like to exercise. I like long walks better than treadmills. Running is horrible for your joints as well. You can lose weight without exercise.

Writers like Gary Taubs try to point out how "political" our diets are. Unfortunately, we get information filtered through personal preference, and in some cases outright discrimination. If a scientist goes against the status quo (or norms) he is often shunned by his science. That is how this whole "exercise" obsession got started. Scientists did not want to vilify any one food group, so any theory saying that the human body did not need carbohydrates (one of the only foods that is readily available, and cheap), would not be listened to. Since Dr. Atkins was in private practice, he was not controlled by the scientific establishment, however he was the subject of a witch hunt, and even had to testify before congress. He was a very brave man, really.

I love fruit too. But I won't eat it because I want to lose weight. You either want one thing, or the other. Many people start a diet and spend all their time trying to figure out how to get the benefits, while cheating on the diet. I think most people fail because their candy bar or whatever is momentarily more important than their weight loss. It is sort of like someone with cancer given 2 choices. Choice one, is something that is bland and only slightly tasty that will save your live, and choice two is something you really love to eat, but will lead to more pain, and a quicker death. Fruit is Fructose and Glucose. It is just the same to your body as eating several spoonfuls of pure white sugar. Can you get the fruit "flavoring" through essential oil zero calorie drinks or Crystal Light?

Fiber One bars may as well be candy. A snicker's bar probably has more nutritional value. General Mills or Kellogg are not your friend. They are great advertisers who tell you pretty lies.

That's about all I can say...
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote