3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Atkins (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/)
-   -   How do you feel about "impact carbs" vs. total carb count (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins/139984-how-do-you-feel-about-impact-carbs-vs-total-carb-count.html)

kittycat40 04-16-2008 02:15 PM

How do you feel about "impact carbs" vs. total carb count

I am trying to count carbs as well as calories and I am trying to go very low carb count to start. I just had a pria carb select (originally purchased 2/05!!)
impact carb 2g. total carb count 21g.

Just trying to get an idea of whether that whole impact carb thing vs. real carb count is bunk or reality....

I'll check back in if I don't get done in by expired packaged food first ;). But it tasted just like I remember it-- good? not quite.

JerseyGyrl 04-16-2008 03:53 PM

Simply put, beware of "impact" carbs! Those Pria bars (and most "low carb" bars) contain sugar alcohols...mainly Maltitol...or as I like to refer to it as instant gastric distress!! The companies that make those bars arrive at the impact or net carb counts by subtracting fiber as well as sugar alcohols from the total carb count. Unfortunately, Atkins bars are no exception. My complaint with Atkins bars is, they claim 0 grams of sugar alcohols on the front label...yet, if you read the ingredients, they contain Glycerine...which IS a SUGAR ALCOHOL!

My best advice to you, stick with real, whole foods when doing low carb. Remember, regardless of whether or not something claims to be "low carb"...low carb junk is still junk just the same.

kittycat40 04-16-2008 04:08 PM

So are you saying sugar alcohol has a carb effect and should not be discounted like the manufacturer says?

I am a busy on the go working mom and really use these bars. I'm sad.

JerseyGyrl 04-16-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittycat40 (Post 2153959)
So are you saying sugar alcohol has a carb effect and should not be discounted like the manufacturer says?

I am a busy on the go working mom and really use these bars. I'm sad.

Of course the choice whether to eat these or not needs to be yours.

There is a great deal of contraversy over sugar alcohols...but...most people have found they do stall their weight loss.

meowee 04-16-2008 04:18 PM

I'm not a low-carber, per se, but I am Diabetic and both the American and the Canadian Diabetic Associations recommend that the carbs shown for sugar alcohols be considered as having approximately 50% impact on blood sugar levels. In actual fact, different SAs have different carb levels, but 50% is close enough. Those labels that totally discount the SAs as well as the fibre are one of my pet peeves, too.

kittycat40 04-16-2008 04:29 PM

OK. I'll def keep all this in mind. The reason I'm doing low carb is b/c I'm not seeing results I think I should be seeing on a low cal/ higher carb diet.

THX :)