Which Atkins book?

• Did you like? did you read?

I started with the gold covered book back in 2000, I think it was a 1986 book or something. It is the one where he spends most of the book sounding a bit paranoid complaining about how many so called "scientists" didn't like his theories.

In spite of all that I felt pretty impressed by it. I don't recall him stating any specific "induction" foods or any thing to avoid during induction (other than fruit). It seemed to me like in that book his focus was on 20 grams or less during the first two weeks and not a lot of other "rules" for induction.

Then I loaned that book to a friend and never got it back so I later bought one with a white cover. It was a revised version and was the first time I saw him mention "net carbs". Plus it seemed like there were a lot of new and more complicated rules.

I saw one later that had a red cover and I'm not sure if that was the same book or a different one from the white covered copy, I figured it was the same, then a little later he came out with one that seemed specifically for maintenance or something which I never bought.

Which book did YOU read or like the best? I still like the gold one and would like to find another copy of it. It seemed to make so much sense and seemed so simple.
  • Great Question!
    I have Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, printed in 2003/4. I think I might also have Atkins for Life [I will check when I get home]. Atkins for Life is more for lifetime maintenance. Hence, I have not read it yet.
  • My version has an orange cover, and was published in the UK by Vermillion Books (an imprint of Random House) in 2003.
  • I follow Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution 2002 edition. I also have Atkins for Life (for Maintenance). I'm hoping to get a copy of the original Atkins 72 version...but, really have no interest in anything that came out after the good Dr's death when Atkins Nutritionals took over.
  • I have the gold/yellow cover . . . can't see the dates & can't find glasses . . . It IS the one where Beloved Dr. A.is kind of grousing about not being accepted by the medical community every other page. I get a kick out of that . . . I HAVE read the one with the net carbs, but could not/cannot follow.

I also have a LARGE PRINT version . . . which I loaned to a friend & also haven't got back.

The used book store nearby has tons of "diet books" incl. Atkins . . . I'll see if they have a '72 next visit JG.

PS: I've never made it to/thru the Maintenance/For Life Book either syl!
  • I can't find my Atkins for Life!

I plan on getting to goal and I need that book. It must be in one of those blackholes I have called closets. I put away a lot of books a couple of years ago in one of my overzealous cleaning fits and now...well, I am just lucky I found my DANDR.
  • I have the yellow cover DANDR 1992-1999. What is the difference between this one and the 2000? Any one read both? I think the 72 one would be interesting to read too.

Sylvia, I misplaced my coppy too and it took me months to find it. It was in a backpack (which I never use) in the giant black hole I call a sewing room. But then I'm the most disrganizes person I know. It'll probably turn up once you stop looking for it.
  • I got mine at the thrift store. A very nice hardcover. A good book for a quick motivational boost as it has success stories and quick tips as well.