PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 11:50 AM   #1  

Angry Help--going to a new Endo!

Hi! I have been lurking on this site forever. I am soooo glad to find this forum. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS. I exercise regularly--this summer I was sweating at the gym daily for an hour or more--with no noticable weight loss. My last endo's comment was, "well, looks like you need to lay off the Big Mac's, dearie." ( I tried to tell him I'd never eaten a Big Mac in my life, but you know how it is trying to talk to a doc who thinks he's God. Anyway, I am going to a new doc and would like input on issues to bring up with him. I currently take Synthroid, BC pills and an anti-androgen med. What other meds are there out there that I should bring up? What about specific diets? Anything else I should bring up with him? Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:03 PM   #2  
"I'm working on it!"

Hi Kathy!

I know where you're coming from. I'd like to know the answer to your question too. I'm going to an OB/GYN in November.

I was at an endro 2 years ago. I was trying to tell him that I thought a bunch of my symptoms were related. As soon has he heard I had trouble losing weight, he kept wanting me to sign up at this $1000 clinic and didn't seem to listen to what else I had to say. I found out later he was the owner of the clinic.

I just thought I'd let you know that you are not alone in being involved with fat-headed docs.

I had read that Sugar Busters is a good eating plan for PCOS. I've been following it for nearly 2 weeks now and feel good. The pounds haven't really gone down dramatically, but the inches have!

There is a Sugar Busters forum on this site, so you might want to check it out.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:37 PM   #3  

Unhappy

I know the feeling. Starve, sweat, live your whole life around a food scale and a treadmill, and still get treated like an alean!

Old 10-25-2001, 11:35 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Default Mean doctor!

Hi Kathy, I can't beleive your endo of all people told you to lay off the Big Macs. He should be one of the more understanding types of doctors! Ask your new doctor about Glucophage. Are you insulin resistant? If you are, it could help you lose weight which could hopefully lessen your other symptoms. Have you been following a low glycemic or low carb diet?
Old 11-06-2001, 09:14 PM   #5  

Smile This guy is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This endo is soooooooooooooooo great!!!!! I came out of there feeling like a partner in my health care, not a problem. He wants to do lotso blood work tests before he makes any changes, but I'm feeling really positive.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:02 PM   #6  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Question Has your doc discussed Low Carbing? This is something you should be doing.

Closed Thread