PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/176/150

Height: 5'9"

Talking New Here & Recently Diagnosed

Hi. Hope it's ok I join you all. Here's a bit of background on myself.

I am 25 years old. I have been married for almost 6 years. My husband recently enlisted in the military and we're living in Japan.

I've always had "female problems," but no one ever knew what was wrong, or more importatly, cared to attempt to figure it out. I hardly ever had a period w/o medicinal intervention (usually somewhere between 6 months and a year). Finally though, a doctor decided to look into it a bit more instead of just writing a prescription for Provera. I started taking Glucophage 3 days ago.

I've always had trouble with my weight and then 5 years ago, we were in a major car accident, and I broke my neck in 4 places. I ended up gaining 40 pounds from the bed rest, etc. I hit my highest weight the end of 2004/beginning of 2005 at 206 pounds. I am now down to between 175 and 180 after a lot of hard dieting and exercising, but had recently hit a stand still.

The Glucophage thus far has been less than appealing. The 1st day wasn't bad at all. No side effects whatsoever. Day 2, however, was horrible. Nausea, diarrhea, indigestion, gas, and swelling/bloating. Today isn't that bad yet. Just some nausea.

Well, this is that part of my life in a nut-shell. I'm looking to getting to know you all.
SBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #2  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Welcome! Gosh, I envy ya living in Japan! I'm 27 years of age, living in Kentucky, the land of hillbillies, and fighting with my doctors to see if I have PCOS myself. If you're on basic insurance, they never want to run the additional tests for it, so that's been part of my struggle. Hang in there girl and take it one day at time.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/176/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi! Thank you! My husband would be envious of you. He loves Kentucky/West Virginia... mountainy (is that a real word ??) areas. I understand what you mean about insurance problems though. We had our fair share of those in the past 5-6 years. After he joined the service, I started seeing another doctor... very nice lady, but wasn't very helpful. Then we PCS'd, so I'm almost starting over here. Japan is pretty amazing though. I'd definitely suggest anyone visit. We haven't lived here very long though. But so far, it's been quite an experience! Good luck w/ insurance and hopefully you can get them to run some more tests!
SBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi SBrown! Just thought I'd stop by and welcome you! I'd love to visit Japan too, looks amazing there.
Mostly I'd like to get really good at Dance Dance Revolution and go rock some 14 year old Japanese boy in an arcade. Well.....one can fantasize.
See you around!
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:14 AM   #5  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Welcome SBrown!!
LookingForHope16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #6  
It is what it is...

Welcome !!! Good luck, and hang in there the S/E will get better !!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote