Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default I want to exercise more, but not sure how to fit it in

My time is stretched as it is. Working full time with small kids at home to take care of, finding time to exercise isn't impossible, but so hard to talk myself into doing. Not because I think it's hard, but because I will be taking minutes away from the time I get to actually sit down and relax. By the time my day is over (I teach first grade), the kids have been fed, homework and baths are done, all I want to do is lie down.

I don't feel like I'm lazy, but that's probably what it looks like to others. I know that if I started walking on my treadmill, which I know I need to do to finally lose these 50 unwanted lbs., I will be more rushed and have even less time to devote to my sanity. And yes, I know that doing the exercise is for me, and it will help relieve built up stress, but just the thought of moving more than I am right now boogles the mind. I go go go all day long and the only thing keeping me going is knowing at the end of the day I can sit down and breath. How do I tell myself that this won't be the case anymore? That I won't have as much time to sit and "just do nothing"? I am lazy, aren't I?

The thought of exercise cutting into my much needed, stretched as it is, time to slow down, makes me very depressed. I can't do it in the AM because I am NOT a morning person, can't at lunch because I work through that, so it's at night or nothing. It's been nothing and my body has suffered. How do I convince myself it's worth it? How do I plan for something my body is fighting myself not to do? I'm so tired just thinking about getting on that treadmill. I'm just about ready to cry.
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Reality Check

You don't have to exercise. You don't have to eat healthy foods. You don't have to eat in moderation. You don't have to be slim. You don't even have to stop complaining or saying, "I can't."

I sound really harsh --but you are being really harsh on yourself. You've backed yourself into a corner that there is no way out of. You don't want to be where you are and you don't want to do what you need to do to change that and you don't want to take responsibility for being empowered to change.

I have young children too. I work all day too (we own a business that is open from 7 am til 8 pm Mon thru Sat and I homeschool our children). I have felt (still often do feel) hurt, angry, and most of all afraid. But I also feel like THIS IS MY BATTLE and I WILL FIGHT! So, let's get up and fight this, shall we? How about making a list of what you ARE WILLING TO DO. Whether it is in the area of exercise, healthy/moderate eating, or positive thinking... WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO?

Here, I'll make a list too. And I'd love to see yours.

One day at a time, starting right now, I am willing to:

-Drink tea, water, and zero-calorie beverages.

-Eat high fiber, lean protein, mostly whole foods. Most carbs from fruits/veggies.

-Plan. Menu plan, grocery shop, plan what I will eat for the day.

-Let go of date/weight goals and focus on healthy lifestyle goals.

-Exercise (jog daily, lift weights 3Xweek, elliptical, step class).
[I love exercise, at least most of the time, so this part is a little easier for me.]

-Accept my body where it is at today as FINE FOR TODAY.

Okay, that is my list of what I am willing to do right now. That is just for me. And I may not achieve it. But I am willing to try. What do you want to try?

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm always surprised that fitting in a little exercise with some good music makes me feel better ... not more tired.
You'll be surprised too. Try 4 or 5 songs that you adore, walk on the treadmil and then sit down to relax for a bit.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I've never considered myself a morning person either. But I was hitting the same brick wall you're hitting, and finally, I decided that I had two choices: 1) get up an hour earlier each day to make time to exercise or 2)have an unfit body that was always tired, weak, flabby with no stamina. I started in November 2005, and within a few weeks, I had adjusted my sleeping habits so that it wasn't difficult. Now, if I don't get my exercise in first thing in the morning, I feel sluggish and tired all day long. You mention that your body is fighting to not exercise. Really that's not true. Our bodies crave movement and exercise; you will be giving it exactly what it needs.

I exercise at home, so I don't have to go anywhere to do it, which means, that I throw on my clothes, get a glass of water, then start. You could certainly start with a shorter time, maybe get up 35 minutes earlier - five minutes to get dressed, then exercise for 30 minutes. Listen to some music, listen to an audiobook, watch tv.

It can be done. Most of us on here that do exercise struggled with finding time and energy to do it, just like you do. You just have to do it. Good luck with finding what works for you.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Ditto what Tammy said. I am SO not a morning person, that for me and having kids, the hardest lifestyle adjustment was their early morning rising!! I have 2 young ones and work full time as well. I finally decided that if it was going to get done, it had to be done in the morning before all the events and crises of the day thwarted my plan and everyone else sucked the life out of me. I get up just one hour before my kids need to for school and I do 1/2 hour on the treadmill and 10 minutes of cool-down stretching afterward.

It may be VERY hard to believe now, but doing this for just 3-4 weeks will ingrain it into habit that you begin waking up for naturally, looking forward to too! Also, it will give you more energy thruout the day and you may just start looking for something extra you can add in during the evenings because you have more energy. I also found that with working out, the rest of my day went smoother and better. Making lunches was easier - I was more efficient. Spent less time looking for things and bumping into things in the morning. Folding and putting away laundry takes less time somehow. I'm less overwhelmed by the daily chores bc of putting some fitness into my life.

I promise, it works. And make sure you go to bed early enough to get 7 hours of sleep at least to start. You might want even more. Not to mention how much easier dealing with a room of 1st graders all day will be, and how much of a happier teacher you will be for all those smiling faces. You will take more things in stride with your own kids. I've seen a huge difference with mine.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-10-2006 at 10:12 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #6  
Releasing the inner hiker

I think there are relatively few of us who have a ton of extra time in the day to exercise. It is a choice and some days it is a hard choice to make. Starting off is even harder. However, as Tammy stated above, she has more stamina, not less, after exercising. Believe it or not, exercise builds up stamina so that desire you have to sit down and rest immediately upon the end of the day, just may be alleviated with exercise.

I love the WATP videos because I can do it at home and I always feel so relaxed afterwards. Much more relaxed in fact, then when I plop myself down in front of the TV. This is coming from another teacher with 2 jobs, so I understand the constant "on the go" during the school day (I'm at school by 6am and don't come home until 6pm at the earliest. I'm always up until 11pm grading and planning, so time is limited for me as well).

Start off slow and plan for it. It can be done! Good luck.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Default Reality Check -- For Me!

I should never stay up late and post on 3FC... I do turn into a !! I re-read my post this morning and I sounded beyond harsh. I wish I could have just said something sweet and encouraging like the other ladies. I hope you'll forgive my harsh tone and take my post as the encouraging swift-kick-in-the-bum it was supposed to be for both of us. I surely need it as much, if not more, than you!

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #8  

Lindy, one reason I like this forum so much is because it's NOT all about sugar coating, sweet encouragement. I think we are comfortable offering hard suggestions and calling people out. I know it's happened to me on occasion. What do we gain from other forums full of sweet support - nothing really. You can consistently see the same people with the same struggles year after year in those forums. Only by calling people out do we create the spark for change that makes people sit up and say, I need to do something else besides what I'm doing to see a change.

So DON'T change styles. I saw your message as very direct and upfront and not harsh. And sometimes we all need that wake-up call, even if it is at 2 am!! lol
Old 12-11-2006, 10:52 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I am not a morning person either but I've changed. I'm waking up earlier. I just got a kitty and she thinks that morning starts before the sun rises. Before I got her though I was waking up early to exercise but she reinforces the early wakeups.

Also, you will be surprised how much energy exercise can actually give you. My mom complained about always being tired until one day she got a gazelle. She ended up started doing 10 minutes on it while watching tv. Now she does about an hour every night. She says she no longer hurts like she used to and she is not as tired as she used to be. She did end up losing some weight but weight wasn't her main issue, it was more of a fatigue issue.

What about the weekends as well? You also don't have to do an hour of exercise when you do it. You could exercise a few minutes here or there when you fit it in. Even at work, do you get a chance to take a 5 or 10 minute walk? Being busy isn't a unique situation but people fit in exercise when they can with their busy lifestyles.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #10  

Do you have to supervise kids at recess? If so, can you do a brisk walk around the playground while they play? If you don't have to supervise, maybe you can use a resistance tube (they cost about $10) in the classroom for some quick exercises. Somewhat less effective than free weights (from what I've heard), but can work well.

I used to teach middle school and was exhausted at the end of the day (always!). I changed my routine by putting on exercise clothes before I left school and hitting the gym on the way home (before picking DD up from her after school program).

Drinking more water during the day will probably also help your energy level.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doIlookfat? View Post
I can't do it in the AM because I am NOT a morning person, can't at lunch because I work through that, so it's at night or nothing.
I am not a morning person. However, mornings are the easiest time to MAKE it work. I have to be done before dh leaves for work. So for me I am up by 5:30 at the latest, earlier sometimes.

I'll admit it is VERY difficult to make the transition. Last year when I restarted morning workouts after a long hiatus, I did nothing for the first week but set the alarm and shut it off and go back to bed. The second week I got up and sat on the couch with my cup of tea. The third week I finally got my tush out the door. It takes awhile, but after a few very agonizingly painful weeks, you will adjust to morning exercise. I actually feel so much better throughout the day and it is so much easier to eat healthily with that workout in. There is something thrilling about having that HUGE to do out of the way before the day starts.

Plus some studies indicate that morning workouts are most effective, both from a higher success rate (in actually exercising) and from an extended "burn" - getting the body fired up.

Seeing the sunrise is nice too. Although lately I am done before the sun rises...10 more days till winter solstice.

Exercise at any time of day will give you more energy than not exercising. Even if you feel too tired to start, about 10-15 minutes in and you will feel better. You just have to commit to no excuses.

Eventually your body will crave exercise, the way it currently craves rest
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post

Eventually your body will crave exercise, the way it currently craves rest

Oh my goodness - this is the quote of the year for me. I might have to put that on my siggy. So very true.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbabe View Post
Oh my goodness - this is the quote of the year for me. I might have to put that on my siggy. So very true.
blushing

I've never been quotable
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #14  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I agree with the others that you should try exercising in the morning. I too am absolutely NOT a morning person. Seriously, if I woke and slept on my body's natural schedule, I think I would stay up past midnight but not get up until noon. I do all my best work in the evening and am definitely more productive then.

Having said all that, getting up early to exercise really helps me get through the morning. If I have a day where I have to be up early, getting up even earlier and exercising makes me far more alert than if I got that extra hour of sleep. And it turns out that you don't really have to be that awake to exercise; you just need to drag yourself out of bed and onto the treadmill, then put one foot in front of the other. Heck, if you hold onto the handrail, you don't even need to open your eyes. By the time you finish, you'll be far more awake and alert than if you had stayed in bed. Plus, it feels great having your exercise out of the way for day. Once exercise becomes a mandatory part of your life, not something you talk yourself into or out of, having it done for the day is always a huge relief. And, on top of those benefits, you get to feel positively smug about it all day long.

Last weekend I had an all-day meeting on Friday and Saturday. On Friday I got up at 5 AM to exercise and I felt great, awake and alert all morning. On Saturday the gym didn't open early enough for me to exercise before my meeting. As a result, the morning just dragged. I felt sleepy and clumsy and made lots of mistakes all morning.

When my schedule is flexible, I still prefer to exercise mid-afternoon. But if it's between exercising in the evening and exercising in the early morning; I'll take the early morning time slot every time.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote