Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Once in a while, I get tired of ....

Right now for me, it's tuna. I can hardly stomach the idea of opening a can. I bought fat free Miracle Whip so that maybe I'd eat some like dip.

What about you?
Old 12-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I go through phases with everything. I periodically get tired of:

-eggs/egg beaters
-oatmeal
-Kashi Go Lean
-Basically, any breakfast food. I eat one for a month or so, then switch to another.
-Tuna (I am with you on that one)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #3  

I also go through phases when I turn off a food. I just let it be, and eventually come back to it. It's too difficult to make healthy choices if you are turned off that particular food. There are many, many choices to substitute.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #4  

- All-bran flakes
- apples and oranges
- having salad or the dressings at the cafeteria
Old 12-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

EGGS

I can't even think about eating another egg white omelette right now. I relied upon eggs a lot for lunch when I didn't have a left over chicken breast from dinner the night before. Well, maybe if it is covered in tabasco sauce then maybe. But I think I would be looking for that protein powder in the pantry before I would entertain the idea of cracking open another egg this week.

TUNA has never been a part of my eating plan. I know it is good for you but I still have flashbacks from my mother's tuna noodle casserole as a kid. BLECH. The only part I could eat were the crushed potato chips she would put on top. My mom isn't known for her culinary talents...

But oatmeal and cottage cheese with cinnamon, splenda, and protein powder. I can't get enough of this for breakfast. For whatever reason, that works for me. I've been eating it for almost a year and look forward to it each morning. Sick, I know.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Pork tenderloin. This is so easy to make and so low in calories, but I do definitely get tired of it, even the pre-seasoned ones. The serving size always seems a little small and it's low enough calories that I can practically double it and still be well within my calories but I've learned that this is a mistake. It always ends up being too much pork.

I also get tired of fish in general. That fishy flavor can really get to me; sometimes I just need to take a break (except for sushi--I swear I could eat sushi morning, noon, and night and never get sick of it).

Here are a couple of ideas for your tuna that might make it more interesting:
  • Tuna mixed with mango (fresh is best, but frozen mango works as well), a very small amount of olive oil, cumin, and cilantro. Serve over avocado or in your fav low cal wraps.
  • Tuna mixed with hummus and roasted eggplant in 1/2 pita. You can also add some tomatoes and cucumbers if you want.
  • Tuna mixed with tomatoes, two types of beans (kidney, pinto, garbanzo, black, whatever you like best), grilled or raw onion, fresh oregano, basil, and cilantro, salt, pepper, and a dressing of dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. This is best if you wait until summer when you can get farmers market or home-grown tomatoes. I don't think it would be very good with grocery store tomatoes.

Sadly I NEVER get tired of carbs, especially not breakfast cereal. I could also eat breakfast cereal morning, noon, and night along with my sushi. If I gave myself the chance, I could finish off an entire box in one sitting. Everyday when I finish my morning bowl of cereal I think "Oh no! Is that all there is? " And it's Kashi Go Lean, which doesn't even taste that good. But I still wish I could have more.

Luckily, I also never get tired of fruits and veggies or chicken.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I tend to eat the same breakfast for several months, then get really tired of it. I've burnt out on red pepper omelets and plain yogurt with fruit. I'm in month four of oatmeal, and still enjoying it. I'm about to run out of breakfast ideas.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I am currently tired of the salad bar at work for lunch, I did it every day for a couple of months. I'm back to cup of soup, half a turkey sandwich for awhile. I'm also tired of veggie tacos!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs down Salad!

For the first time since I started eating better, I am getting sick of salad.

I think the two reasons for it are:
- Not enough variety, especially with the topping. I've been using the same combo of veggies, with tuna salad, for WAY too long.
- Not filling enough at work. I always end up still hungry/hungry within a couple of hours.

It also finally sank in that the iceberg lettuce I switched to is really rather tasteless. I want my romaine hearts back!
Definately going to try more variety next time I go grocery shopping!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #10  
stbakd

i'm tired restaraunts that don't serve lower fat foods and no veggies with meals. glen
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I eat the same foods OVER AND OVER for months and then one day... I can't stand to touch it!

For example, I had cottage cheese with (warmed up) frozen berries every day for breakfast for about six months. But I suddenly got tired of it and I haven't bought cottage cheese or berries in a LONG time.

All summer I had a HUGE salad for lunch and dinner. I varied the veggies and protein that I added, but always had light ranch dressing mixed with chipotle tabasco. I had this so much that I bought the dressing and tabasco by the case (not joking)! I went through a couple cases of both! I don't think I've had a single salad since September, though. The thought of it is just...

I also think I've finally overdone it on butternut squash. I love it, but I have actually twice eaten an entire large roasted butternut squash by myself in one day. Doesn't allow for a lot of other food intake and, boy oh boy, major bloat. But my nails and hair sure grew a lot from the Vitamin A during my squash phase!

Lindy
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #12  

SlimLindy..That is a lot of squash, but I adore butternut squash, I think if I was in the right mood I might be able to scarf a whole one down in one sitting. Though, as I type this I am telling myself, "Carey, don't eat an entire squash!"...so it probably won't happen now.

I remembered another couple: carrots and bananas. I usually try to switch up the fruits and veggies so that I don't get so sick of them that I get nauseous trying to eat healthy
Old 12-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have only been doing this healthy eating thing since September 4, 2006. And I have thought about this often - what's gonna happen when I get sick and tired of cauliflower and grilled chicken cutlets and tuna and veggie burgers and so on and so on. I start getting in a panic and wondering how am I going to do this for life if I ever get tired of my staples? So that's why I'm always, always looking for new foods to incorporate into my meals.

But I am already pretty tired of egg-white omlettes. Especially if they're plain. I very rarely eat it anymore.

Someone said it earlier, BluetoBlue, why oh why is it that we never, ever get tired of carbs??
Old 12-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Cold food.....berries, salads, apples, you name it. I start craving rich, creamy casseroles (not tuna noodle, though LOL!). I think a lot of it has to do with the weather. To me, winter time is time to forego salads and have warm food. Perhaps this has something to do with my recent gain (and I've only had one casserole in the past month!).
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #15  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely find that I get tired of tuna pretty quickly. I only eat it in spurts--maybe for a week at a time every few months or so.

I had tired of turkey sausage a while back, but I am back to eating it again., I just needed to give it a rest for a while.

I get tired of eggs pretty quickly, too. I've tried all kinds of flavorings (veggies, salsa, spices, etc.), but I find the only way I really love eggs is with lots of cheese, which sort of defeats the purpose

I am definitely tired of the same Smart Ones meals over and over again. I had 2 favorite "Truth About Carbs" meals that I kept eating, and now it makes me ill to even think about eating them
Closed Thread