Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #39

Good Tuesday morning gals! I finally got T's monogrammed turtleneck at 7 o'clock last night. It looks really nice. I have to show you the tote bag I am getting him for Christmas to carry his piano music to lessons in. I can get a zipped variety, which I am going to do, and they put heat transfer whatever you want on it as long as it isn't copyrighted or trademarked in any way. They come in three sizes too! I thought it was pretty cool so below is picture of the bag (T's is going to be a light blue tote) and what I am having heat transferred on it. (I noticed when I posted that the picture rotates to other thin

Jean: I didn't know what felting was either until I started knitting again. I had never even heard of it before. It does make whatever you felt pretty indestructible though. It is pretty amazing actually. Hope you have another nice quiet day at school.

Maggie: My sister lives in Southern Calf and I talked to her yesterday morning and she said it was raining cats and dogs on her way to work. I guess we will eventually get it. At least we don't get the snow, thank goodness. What a mess that would be living here!

Jack has his allergist appt tomorrow, but he hasn't had any swelling for almost 2 weeks now. Maybe his body has just righted itself. He is going to go and get checked out just in case, though. Unfortunately, he has to take a whole day off work to do it.

I am looking forward to my Red Hat luncheon and meeting some of the ladies. The chapter "queen" said she is not sure how many will be attending because some are out of town. I think it will still be fun because it is a big chapter, like 40 members or so. She splits them into two groups and they lunch on the first and second Sat of each month. I will have to get in the routine of going each month.

Susan: That is terrific about Stan. He will be used to that ole leg in no time flat. I hope he is able to do well with it and it give him his quality of life back and yours too!

Well, Jack will be up in just a couple minutes so I guess I better get going!

Have a good day and if it is cold in your part of the world, stay warm!

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:19 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been another gloomy day in my corner of the world; it has rained quite a bit and as the afternoon wore on it has turned colder. It's been a good night to stay home where it is warm and cozy! There is a rumor that the special ed. teacher and I will be moving out to the math wing second semester. It doesn't make any sense for me to move because I'm never out there this year, and it is away from every where else that I go. I think she is missing my "personal secretary" things that I did last year and don't do this year because she is co-teaching with the math teachers. What little stuff I have to use could stay in the room where we are now. We'll see what happens, I guess.

I heard a NASTY NASTY rumor that the car thief will be back on Friday. I don't know why they don't keep him locked up until second semester starts. He will either come back with a bigger attitude of "see what I did" or else be pretty meek and mild. I'm thinking the bigger attitude will prevail.

Maggie -- It was nice to see your post on #38!

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread today. I'm glad that the turtleneck arrived finally! You certainly had to wait long enough. The bag is a nice idea and the zipper will keep everything together in one place. I hope that Jack's allergist appt. will give you some answers for his swelling even though he hasn't had any for awhile.

I need to iron something to wear tomorrow. Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #3  

Good morning! Just a real quick jot as we have the appt today and I need to get upstairs and get showered and such. I hope they can settle all this swelling stuff once and for all.

Jean: I agree, sounds to me like the teacher wants her "secretary" back. Maybe they will keep the little jerk or he will get into trouble between now and then.

I am finally done with the sleeves on that blasted sweater and am now doing the collar. I had to do it three times, but I now seem to have it right. I am still not proficient at picking up stitches, especially on a cast on area. It looks pretty good though and I will be glad when it is done. I did find an error in the pattern, which threw me off no end, but once I got over that hump and figured out what I was supposed to do, it went ok. I am not experienced enough to recognize a booboo. I just blindly follow the pattern.

Well, I have to run gals. Hope you have a nice day. It is balmy, but rainy here this morning.

Faye
Old 11-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is so cold here today and a north wind to boot! The classrooms on the north side of the building never did get toasty warm today. Of course the windows all leak aie so I guess we can't expect perfect comfort. Two of the AWOLs were back in school today . . . they are restricted to the BD room as will the last one scheduled to come back on Friday. One has missed over 30 days and the other close to that so there is little hope of them saving any of their credits for the semester. If they get their work made up in the modified classes and pass, they will get credit for those: English, Math, and Science. They have no motivation so I'm not holding my breath. I have bell choir practice at 6 tonight and we play Sunday. It is supposed to be a short practice and we really need alot of practice time since we are playing two pieces rather than just one; we didn't practice last week so it will be like we've never seen the music before.

"Gma" -- I will be curious about what the allergist has to say about Jack's swelling. They say the third time is the charm and you did it!

I need to keep moving. Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! It is pretty balmy here. The house got up to around 76 yesterday afternoon and we had to turn the AC on for awhile. It is still pretty warm this morning. I think the rain has moved through but the temps are supposed to nosedive about 20 degrees today and go back to normal.

Dr Duncan said exactly what I told you we thought was wrong. He did have hives and they were almost assuredly caused by the surgery trauma goofing up his immune system. He did some allergy tests, which all came back negative, told him for two weeks to take his Toprol only every other day instead of everyday, and put him on Allegra for 3 weeks even though he hasn't had an episode in a couple weeks. Dr Duncan said we were right to come in even though the swelling had quit because he now has his history and what not and can treat him if it reappears. We are hoping it is all done with.

Poor Jack must have gotten Bob's sneeze from Iowa. He is really sick, but he has to go to work because he has no sick time. He has a pretty bad sore throat and I ran out of honey for my famous "elixer" so he is having to resort to lozenges. He wants to pick himself up a Lean Cuisine at the store for lunch this morning so I am going to have him get some more honey so I can have some ready for him to drink when he gets home.

If I ever get this sweater finished I am never ever ever using this pattern again! First off, one part of the pattern was rearranged, then the yarn for the trim isn't heavy enough, I put on the neck and one placket according to directions and it droops really badly. I tore it all out and went in and doubled the yarn so we shall see if that will work out right. I would have to tear out the whole sweater to fix the bottom and that is notgonna happen so there will be two thicknesses of the trim, but at this point, I just want to get it finished. It looks so cute and I don't want to have to scrap the whole thing, but the collar and front buttonhole bands have to be firm enough to stand up a little. I decided to lay it down last night and did these instead while we watched the movie CARS on dvd last night. That is such a cute little movie. Jack felt so bad I didn't fix dinner he just had chicken soup and a grilled cheese and I just had a grilled cheese for dinner.

Jean: Good luck at bell practice. How come you guys are doing an extra song? Are you doing holiday music already? Hope you can stay warm in the ole drafty halls of the learning world.

Well, I am going to start a load of clothes, clean out the cat box, and unload the dishes then either read or knit until Jack gets up at 5:15. I may go back to bed for a couple hours then. I didn't sleep well trying to listen for him.

Have a great day gals!

Faye

Old 11-30-2006, 01:41 PM   #6  

Hi, ladies...75 degrees today and my roses are still blooming on this last day of November. Faye, your rain is supposed to arrive here tomorrow and temps drop to 40's so winter is coming.

Faye, I hope Jack is feeling better. Stan has a cold right now but not too bad. He's walking better every day. Theraphist said he'll be ready to go to a cane and put the walker away in another week.

Jean, I think the old days were better in some respects - those kids wouldn't have been coming to school anymore back then. I don't know how you stand it.

I just got a copy of "YOU on a Diet" - Dr. Oz has been on Oprah and Discovery Channel and it is a very good book - pretty much like SB or WW Core as far as the food but excellent information on how and why we gain and the inner workings of the body and how different types of food affects us and its very wittly written so its not at all like reading a text book. In looking back over the the last year, I'm 11 pounds less than I was in January so that has been positive but I could have done better. Still want to get 10-15 more gone which is where my doctor thinks I should be. Maybe we all need to recommit and get going January 2.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:53 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining brightly but it is so cold outside! Another north wind to help the temperature feel like it is below 0! I had to work with a sub who was a warm body just taking up space today. He didn't have a clue about anything! Tomorrow another teacher will be gone so I will have a retired BD teacher subbing . . . she is fun! I am ready for it to be Friday!

"Gma" -- Our Consumer Science teacher (what we used to call home ec. in the old days!) is teaching 2 weeks of knitting to a class. In the first place she is chose a yarn that is quite coarse (?) with multiple strands to make it look sort of furry/fuzzy when it's finished. The kids are supposed to cast on 20 stitches and make a scarf. I had one girl in study hall who was in tears so I finally did the first four rows for her to get her started. I thought of you! They are knitting each row and I finally wrote "back, wrap, front" on a piece of paper for her. It will be interesting to see how she does tomorrow. There is a boy in the class who picked it up right away and was almost finished with his scarf. He said he didn't have anyone to give it to and I said he should make one for all of his favorite teachers. He gave me a very serious look and said, "that would be zero!" I'm glad Jack's appt. went well and he has some meds and a backup if he ever needs help again. What do you make with the honey? When I was a kid it was honey, lemon juice, and whiskey! Bob never did get a sore throat but man did he cough. He about drove me nutty and I know he couldn't help it. We do usually only play one bell piece and once a month, the second Sunday of the month. Since we have a minister who won't sing Christmas carols before Christmas, we thought we'd play two carols to set the mood! We are playing a Sunday early because the children's program is the second Sunday in Dec. The booties are cute!

Susan -- I'm glad to hear that Stan is doing so well with his walking! I'm sure he is anxious to advance to the next stage. I'd love to have your 75 degrees! Congrats on being 11 pounds lighter! I have heard of the book, but I haven't seen it. Let us know if you learn anything you didn't already know. January will be here before we know it! I do need to regroup and commit to losing the extra pounds!

Guess I will check and see what's available for supper. It may be Bob's night to cook with a trip to the store afterwards. Have a relaxing evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #8  

Evening ladies! I am doing the happy The sweater is finally finished! I have never had such a worrisome project in my life. What a nightmare! I threw the pattern away it was so bad!

Jean: If you find any of the kids having trouble with their knitting, have them go to www.knittinghelp.com and she has videos online of practically everything showing them how to do all kinds of stuff. She has a huge glossery of terms and symbols and it is just great! My remedy is 1 TBL white vinegar, 1 TBL honey and 8 oz hot water. I have never had it not take a sore throat away after several mugs. Jack even drinks it and says it soothes his throat. I make up big batches and he can even cart it to work and heat it up in the microwave to drink during breaks and such.

Susan: Hope Stan's cold is getting better! Jack feels awful and part of it is because he can't stay home and in bed. Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!

Well, I just peeked in to see who had posted and to show you my finished project. If I ever find out who wrote this pattern I am going to punch them in the nose!

Have a nice evening. I am going upstair early and watch tv and wait for CSI to come on.

Faye

Old 12-01-2006, 01:47 PM   #9  

I never can get the attached pictures to show - and I do have it set in my options but when I click view image nothing happens!

Hot now - 72 degrees but it has clouded up and the winds are starting so the rain must be on the way. Supposed to be down in the 40's tonight!

Too warm to feel like Christmas or other holiday stuff.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #10  
Web Nana

HI All!
It 's been a while, again! I have been having some arthritis problems and I can't sit or stand for too long as I get stiff! Both DH & I seem to have developed the problem...his in his right knee and I have my in my left knee. We make quite a pair. It has dampened my Christmas shopping quite a bit and I think this year the gk's will get a small gift and a gift certificate or check. Mall walking is an exhausting event.

My it is good to see Maggiehere again. I see that you are still living in your RV and I think you are doing better in it than I would. Do you still have your yellow convertable? I always remember the picture of you in it that you displayed here a while back.

SusanI am so happy to hear of you DH's improvement! He will be on a cane in no time then you will have to run to keep up with him. Hope you both are feeling better from the colds.

Faye Glad Jack has done so well after surgery. I know the hives and swelling was not fun but maybe you have a handle on it now! You are a knitting machine. You sweaters, purses and baby clothes are adorable.

Jean Since today is Friday you have a couple of days to recuperate from those kids in school. I don't think that kids got away with half as much stuff in our school days.

We went to DD#2 for Thanksgiving and have a party to attend on the 8th and, I think, that's it for this year.

Have a great weekend everyone. Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am doing the "happy it is Friday" ! I ran a couple errands after school, Bob cooked at the Chinese restaurant tonight, made a WM stop, a nap in front of the TV, and here I am! My day was PERFECT . . . the "car thief" didn't show up at school and the secretary was of the opinion that he probably won't be back at all. We should be so lucky! I'll believe it when it is the end of May and he is still gone. We missed out on the big snow storm; it didn't even come close to us.

"Gma" -- The sweater turned out GREAT! I'm sure Thomas will love it! The turtleneck adds a nice touch to it also. Thanks for sharing the honey recipe . . . I would never have guessed that vinegar and honey would go together. Well, I finally ordered a horse! As much as I hate to admit it, I ordered it from WM online ONLY because it was almost $40 cheaper than any of the other sites. When I was completing the order, it said that if there was a local store it could be shipped there free. Well, I typed in the zip code and guess what! According to the WM website, there is NO store in my little burg. Then I got to thinking that it would probably most likely be that if it arrived at the store some bimbo would put it out on the floor and sell it right out from under me. Then I would be super ! Anyhow, it is supposed to arrive sometime between 12/6 and 12/11 so we'll see. I don't know why it would take so long -- probably coming by boat from China. There is a site that guarantees two day delivery if I can find it again.

Susan -- Ah, 72 degrees would be heaven!

Gloria -- How nice to see your post tonight! I hope that you can find some relief for the arthritis in your knee. I'm sure it is not fun and limits what you can do.

I'm off to preheat the bed and fold a load of towels. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I need to get busy, but had to come upstairs for the laundry hamper so thought I would stop by to say "hi!" The sun is shining and it is COLD out there . . . the computer says it is 21 degrees with a north wind so it's not a day to stand around and visit outside. I was busy in the gift shop this morning so it made the time fly by. I didn't even buy anything which is unusual. They are having an open house on Thursday with 20% off everything and free gift wrap so I may stop by on my way home from school. I know they don't put some of the Christmas things out until that day.

I am doing a happy today! I was looking at the page of smilies that I printed off a long time ago and decided to try the address at the bottom of the page. I got into the holiday smilies!

I need to get busy! Have a grand afternoon and a special Sunday tomorrow! The bells will be playing "Silent Night" with the organ and I will be thinking of you all!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:32 AM   #13  

Good morning ladies! I was so tired yesterday I went to sleep about 7. I had gotten up really early yesterday morning so guess that was it.

I had my Red Hat luncheon yesterday and I enjoyed it. There are a couple of real characters though. One of them is loud and obnoxious, about my age, maybe a bit older, bleach blond, wore heels, skin tight purple capris and a lace blouse. Sat through the whole meal making cutting remarks about her husband and men in general. If you have ever seen the sitcom "Reba" she reminded me of the character Barbara Jean from that show, except Barbara Jean is dopey and this woman was truly obnoxious. I thought I was a loud mouth! The lady I sat next to was really nice and doesn't live very far from me so we had a nice conversation. The group is so big it is divided into two groups and when Natalie the chapter "Queen" ask me which group I wanted to be in, she said, she wants to be in 2 with us so I am in 2! I guess the whole group only gets together a couple times a year because there are about 38 women in the chapter. I found a hat I can knit and felt so I have another hat to wear next time.

Jean: Don't feel bad, I ordered a bouncer for my new grandbaby and had it shipped to Indiana and I ordered a video game for Thomas and had it shipped to me because neither South Bend or Memphis had a store for them to be picked up at. It is a stupid service if no one can use it! Hope the bell ringing goes well and no sour notes this morning. I will be thinking about you too when you play. I am sure it is lovely! Wish you didn't live so far away, I would love to hear the group play sometime.

Gloria: I hope you and dh are starting to feel better. Arthritis can be so debillitating. The chapter queen of my Red Hat group had a cast on her arm and when I asked her what happened she said she had surgery on her hand because of arthritis. She had no cartilege in her thumb area. I think a lot of people discount it as just some old age disease and not what it can really do to a person. Hope you are feeling better, we miss you around here!

Susan: I think you probably got what we had on Friday by now. Boy it sure took that 70 degree weather and blew it right out of here. It was horribly windy and freezing cold on Friday after being that warm here on Thurs. Hope Stan is coming along great with his new leg/foot and you are feeling tip top and not having anymore trouble with your asthma.

I need to skedaddle girls, I have the commissary to go to today, UGH! I don't have my list or even my menu planned for the next two weeks so have to get to it!

Faye
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowers! Beth left about an hour ago and we've been putting the house back together. They arrived around noon so I didn't get a thing accomplished on my "to do" list and now I am too pooped to start on any projects. We did another Santa's Castle visit; Maddy was so excited and seeing Santa was all that she talked about. Just inside the main entrance is a 4-5' mechanical santa waving as you walked by, and she made a flying leap into Bob's arms yelling, "I'm scared!" We have a picture of her next to the real Santa on Beth's knee with her head buried in Beth's jacket . . . Kolby is on Santa's knee wondering what all the ruckus was about.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you enjoyed your Red Hat luncheon! It seems like there is always at least one obnoxious person in every group no matter how big or small it is. I often wonder what they would think if someone made a video of them! The bells sounded great this morning! We should have played Silent Night at the end but both pieces were near the beginning of the service. I do like to play at the beginning because then I can relax and enjoy the rest of the service. The Sunday School director tried to talk us into playing for second service also, but that got voted down in short order. As it was the service ran over 15 minutes since it was the first Sunday in Advent candle lighting plus communion. The horse has been shipped . . . it took 3 days to process the order which I have a hard time figuring out with computers and robots working in the warehouses! I will check each day and see if it tells me where it is.

I am going to fold some laundry and head off to bed. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow

HOWDY

What a beautiful day we had today. Sun shining and now it is a clear night with "almost" a full moon. Lots of stars and quite lovely. Got our lights up around the outside of the MH and they sure are pretty. We put up colored ones ~ little sparkley things. Twisted a couple strands together and they will burn all night long.

Will bought me a Panini cookbook and it has some really good sounding recipes for the spreads used. I am going to make a couple of them that last forever and then make just a little bit of the ones that have to be used within 5 or so days when I want them. Good to find some recipes of some of those lovely spreads. Tonight I made pininis with roast beef very thin cut deli style and mozarella cheese on sour dough bread. The spread was pesto and garlic. Good.....UMMMMM. I love making them at home because I can that way control the points in them. I got rid of my electric panini maker (much too big for this small kitchen) and have now a small one burner stove top grill which is reversable and press to make the paninis. There is a mustard concoction that I am going to make that takes 7 days of having it out of the fridge and stirring it every day. It is great in potato salad and the such and not just sandwiches. Another I will make is a purple onion one that is slow baked. I think I will be able to get started on the both of them tomorrow afternoon. We have to go back to town tomorrow morning and get some things that we didn't get ~ much to much traffic and folks in the stores over the weekend.

My Weight Watcher leader gave each of us a little brass jingle bell last meeting and I silver soldered it onto my bracelet. It stands for one of my favorate sayings ~ DON'T EXCHANGE WHAT YOU WANT MOST FOR WHAT YOU WANT AT THE MOMENT. It is on the same link along with my piece of the puzzle. All the empty links are designated for charms waiting for me to lose 10 pounds for each of them. My bracelet will be a bit heavy when full. Have a wonderful week everyone.

Maggie out west.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote