Old 11-27-2006, 02:00 PM   #1  
jemini6782

S/C/G: i am 219 i want to be 150

Height: 5'3''

Question supplements.

has any one been taking chromium picolinate supplements? i read that taking 800mg's of cp,1,000-1,200mg of calcium, and 1,000-1,200mg of vitamin c help get rid of belly fat. i've been using the cp and calcium and my belly is getting a little flatter and i've lost about 2-3 lbs a week since i've started taking these supplements and just started adding vitamin c,we'll see soon if this helps.

Also, does anyone here belong to curves? a friend and i are planning to join in the new year and i just want to know how well it works.

thanks, stef
jemini6782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #2  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Curves is really cool. I used to do Curves regularly when I was in high school, and really enjoyed it. It's such a supportive place; it's not about competition, you don't get all these super-skinnys and jocks like at a normal gym. The people tend to be really friendly.

The workout itself is basically one where you get what you put into it. The machines are hydraulic - I assume you've done some research and know how that works - and it's just alternating machines with cardio. My mom, who did Curves at the same time I did, lost about 60 lbs or maybe more than that. It's an effective workout, and it's great because even though you're doing the same thing every time you go, you can vary the intensity depending on how you're feeling that day.

I know nothing about the supplements, though. Perhaps you could ask about that in the "Does It Work?" area.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #3  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

I love Curves! It's a really simple and quick workout. The only thing is the machines work on hydrolics, not weights. So if you are going to work out, the results depends on how hard you push yourself. If you are going at each work out with maximum shove, then you will definitely see results!!

Also, I'm not taking that supplement, but if you are going to take Calcium, make sure you take Magnesium as well! I take a Calcium w/ Magnesium pill. Reason being is if you are just taking straight Calcium, it's not in a form that it can be absorbed. You need Magnesium for your body to be able to absorb the Calcium pill.

Also, I don't take pills that "shrink belly fat" or "boost my metabolism" because for me losing weight isn't about something that will give me desired results fast, it's a lifestyle change so that I don't put the pounds back on when I stop taking the pills. What kind of diet plan are you following? I myself am Calorie Counting/Portion Control w/ lots of exercise!
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Since when do vitamins help to reduce belly fat? That's a new one by me...

Anyway, with the calcium, be careful not to waste it. The human body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at one time, so if you're taking 1000-1200mg all at once, half (or more) cannot be absorbed and will, well, come right out the other end. I think most calcium supplements come in either 500 or 600mg per pill, so you should take 1 pill at 2 different times during the day (and I'm not sure if it's magnesium--I thought it was Vitamin D--but calcium does need another nutrient at the same time in order to be absorbed, so make sure you're taking what you need to actually absorb the calcium).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #5  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Since when do vitamins help to reduce belly fat? That's a new one by me...

Anyway, with the calcium, be careful not to waste it. The human body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium at one time, so if you're taking 1000-1200mg all at once, half (or more) cannot be absorbed and will, well, come right out the other end. I think most calcium supplements come in either 500 or 600mg per pill, so you should take 1 pill at 2 different times during the day (and I'm not sure if it's magnesium--I thought it was Vitamin D--but calcium does need another nutrient at the same time in order to be absorbed, so make sure you're taking what you need to actually absorb the calcium).
Jill is absolutely right about the amount of Calcium you should be taking.
And Jill, let's say this, take both Magnesium and Vit D, because regardless, you need them!

A little off topic, but is this not the best emoticon ever? haha
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I just read an article on cp, actually, and it didn't exactly come out too well - there were 3 studies done on the effects of cp on weight loss, and in every study it was found to have no effect on the amount of weight lost. There are also some odd side effects, including irregular heartbeat and decreased motor skills. It's generally used for diabetes, since it stimulates insulin production. Sounds to me like something I wouldn't want to mess with! As for the calcium, there seem to be mixed reviews on whether or not it aids weight loss, but it's something we should be taking anyways, so don't give it up. I'd do some more research about the cp before you continue taking it, though.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #7  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I would definately look into the neg effects of chromium pic if I were you, studies have also shown it to cause DNA strand breaks which leads to DNA mutations, which is what causes cancer.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree about the cp...I was instructed to take it by a doctor, and even he told me there's not really any hard evidence that it works, but that there was a chance it might help (he was an endocrinologist, as I was diagnosed as being "prediabetic" back in high school. There are also different types of chromium picolinate, I believe, and different recommended dosages. I wouldn't really mess with it without asking a professional first.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote