Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 26st/12.2st/11st

Height: 5`10

Smile plastics

has anyone here who has wls been thru the plastics journey yet ? i have an appointment to see a surgeon to access what he will do .i want a full body lift but i cant see him agreeing to this (hope he does) the pct have agreed to fund my surgery but they havent specified exactly what they`ll pay for .has anybody else got any experience in this department ?
id like to know know what should i be asking .im not the best at being assertive so probably wont push for what i want any tips would be welcome
nuttynurse1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:09 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I haven't had surgery yet and have a way's to go before doing so but the other day I was watching a show on TV about people who had gastric bypass and were having PS. The one woman (in England) had a tummy tuck first and had to wait several months afterwards before they would do her legs.... and then a few months after her legs they would do her boobs.

I'm not sure how long it took for the tummy tuck but the legs took 5 hours.

I say ask for as much as possible

Good luck !!!!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #3  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

A lot of surgeons are reallll hesitant about doing any full body lifts. And like Leenie says, they usually make you wait months in between procedures so that no extra unnecessary risks for infection or even death occur.

I would maybe recommend going to see a surgeon (maybe ask around if that is at all possible and find one that someone thinks is pretty good in yorkshire, also sometimes there are sites online that have peoples comments on their surgeons) and see what he (9 out of 10 are men) thinks. You should point out all of the parts of your body that you don't like because of the weight loss and then he should be able to work with you to come up with a good plan to stage surgeries if you want/require more than one.
There is a faq over in the maintainer's forum if you would like more information.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #4  

You might ask your WLS surgeon's for recommendations. I was asking about it at my last fill appointment and found out that my WLS team works closely with a plastic surgeon and keeps them updated on special needs of bariatric patients. I like the idea that whoever's doing my tummy tuck understands the concept of the band, its tubing and my port.

Have a good day!
Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

great comments, here! i've looked into it, and i've done everything about it EXCEPT FILE THE PAPERWORK WITH THE INSURANCE COMPANY [for a number of reasons, including weird head issues - but let's not talk about them right this second]

here's what i found out - first, find someone who's done LOTS of work on people who've had WLS. this is NOT a little tiny tummy tuck. it's big, serious surgery, and you want someone who knows what to expect.

and, most sensible plastic surgeons take a staged approach, for a lot of reasons. like not wanting to keep you under for 10 hours at a time. and to make sure that you heal well. and because there's often a need for a wee bit of touch up.

however, i have heard of one surgeon who did the ENTIRE body at one time - legs, butt, belly, breasts. the woman was under anesthesia for more than 14 hours. and what's worse, it was his first solo lower body lift! not sure why this happened - but one thought is that the insurance company might have authorised only one surgery, and the woman agreed [maybe insisted?] to have the whole thing done at once. [leenie - this is the PS guy at Chilton].

be sure to ask about the stomach muscle repair. apparently, those of us who get heavy enough for WLS often have abdominal fat that forces the abdominal muscles apart - and the plastic surgeons often bring them back together. yes, it hurts.

tell us what happens !!!!! keep us posted.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 26st/12.2st/11st

Height: 5`10

thanks for all the info guys i can understand why they`d do it bit by bit makes more sense really but i want it all now ive waited a life time for this perfect figure ..lol no but seriously i can understand them doing it bit by bit .ill also be sure to ask if they will repair the stomach muscles too .decided i dont want a new belly button either as its less chance of getting infected if i dont have one and it`ll give me something to talk about and show off
will keep you posted
nuttynurse1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, as a matter of course they usually repair the stomach muscles. I asked about that one as I am 22 and never had kids and they said that a tt pretty much always comes with a muscle repair unless there is some type of reason why they wouldn't do it. Also, you know you don't get a "new" belly button, right? You keep your same one, they just cut it out (while it is still attached to it's blood supply "the stalk") and then make a new little hole for it and sew it right back in. Easy peasy.
I don't even know if a surgeon would agree to do it without a belly button......they wouldn't want you suing them down the line or something for disfigurement. Unless there was some sort of reason that it would be substantially more dangerous to put it back in.
Just some more info for you (and anyone else reading) to consider.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

OMG all this talk makes me wanna run and hide... OUCH ~ lolol

GOOD INFO ~
Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. let's think about this - what would life be like without a belly button? they're actually useless after you're born -
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #10  

Yeah, but if I ever get thin enough to want to show off my belly, I'm getting my belly button pierced. I'll be the old lady who thinks she's all that and a bag of chips!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

You go girl ~ show off that belly and bag of chips.