Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-20-2006, 06:54 PM   #1  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Default soreness discourages me

I lifted weights for about 4 or 5 months earlier this year and for a few months last year and a few months the year before, etc. People say that the degree to which you get sore afterwards goes away after a while but it never did for me. Maybe it takes longer than that to ease up, I don't know... but it is definitely part of the reason that I haven't kept it up. Sometimes I do enjoy the soreness in my arms because it reminds me that I've worked hard, but I just can't deal with it all the time, especially because it's not just my arms but my whole body. I just feel wrecked, tired, unable to easily move around and that doesn't make me feel good about working out. I feel like, why am I bothering getting strong if I can never enjoy it? By the time the soreness eases it's the day to go and work out again.

Anyway I know I should get back into strength training so does anyone have any tips on how to deal with this? And does that sore feeling ever actually go away? I don't see how it could, if you are regularly increasing the weight you use.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Hmmm, i usually get sore for a couple of weeks and that is it, after that my muscles adjust until i find a muscle group that i have been ignoring. Do you think maybe you are overworking a certain area? I usually work something like this:
Monday: biceps and triceps for 20-25
Tuesday: Shoulders and chest 20-25
Wed: Lower body 20-25 minutes
Thursday: Repeat monday
Friday: Rest
Saturday: repeat tuesday
Sunday: Repeat wed
Etc, etc.

What does your routine look like? How many reps do you usuall do per set?
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #3  
back in the game

I don't have a routine. At the moment I'm doing the couch to 5K, that's about it. I need a routine!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

How about making ibuprofen your friend?

You may be lifting too heavy or perhaps improper form? I have a neuro disorder that causes my neck muscles to contract abnormally so I understand pain, and it's no fun. The pain in my arms and legs from working out is different, however, so that makes me wonder if there's a "technical" problem. Working with a (good) trainer once might help you discover if you're doing something that is causing you so much pain.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #5  
Mel

I like feeling sore because I know that I've worked. Generally I'm annoyed when I'm NOT sore. But crippled is a different story. I take 5 grams of the amino acid L-Glutamine daily mixed in a protein shake to help repair muscles. You can get it at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC- it's safe, has no side effects and does all sort of wonderful things for your body. In addition to repairing muscle tissue, it is used to boost bronchial immunity and repair bronchial damage, repair small intestine damage from celiac's disease, and some surgeons are now recommending it to their patients before surgery because it promotes faster healing. Do a google search- there are lots of studies out there.

Ibuprophen may actually be catabolic- breaking down muscle tissue. And prolonged use of anti-inflammatories is hard on the stomach. I take a prescription anti-inflammatory daily which I'd love to give up.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

This is a head game but it works for me. I think that if my muscles are sore, they're still using calories.

I want to embroider something that has been touched on a couple of times already. We need to listen to our bodies. Well used muscle ache and tiredness is not hurting unable to function pain.
Who says 'put your mind in your muscle'? Pay attention while you are lifting. Make sure you are working a muscle and not the joint ... that sort of thing.

As for the tiredness .... sleep? diet?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #7  
back in the game

Thanks Sheila, Mel and Susan. I don't think it's a sleep or diet issue because I don't have problems with other kinds of exercise. I've been to trainers before so I don't think it's a form issue but maybe I'll do another session to make sure. I'll look into the supplement you mentioned Mel.... I kind of have an aversion to take anything like that because it feels like a pill, you know what I mean? I don't take a multi either for that reason. But maybe I just need to get over that. lol
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #8  

Oh gosh I live for the pain I must be a sick woman.
buffedstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

I love the pain too Buffed!! But I do take L-glutamine just cause of all the good other effects it has, like Mel mentionned... I haven't had a cold in 3 years, since I've been taking Glutamine regularly...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I think I know what you mean by pain vs soreness from a good workout, and I think I wrote a similar post in Sept/Oct. For me, it went away after about 2 months of Consistent lifting. I finally learned the difference between crawl-in-bed achy muscles, vs feeling what you worked. All I can think of is are you increasing too much too fast? It should hurt the first 2-3 weeks but then lessen and def be gone by the third month except in cases where you increased the load. I increase if on my last set I can do all the reps easily, then I will go up by about 2.5 lbs. I follow the BFL plan. I did take alot of of ibu in the early days, but haven't had to do that since, gosh, maybe October? Good luck with it. I hope you figure out a good place to be able to continue.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote