Old 11-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #1  
Member w/ messiest house

Default The Bovinity of Moo-vember

Whatever that means.

It's another rainishy day, but apparently dry enough for the guys to get started on the roofing. They are starting with the barn which shouldn't take more than a day or 2, then the kitchen! I am optimistic. Slap me.

Kiwi
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #2  

Love the thread title. Not sure what it means either, Kiwi, but I like it. It's not rainishy here, just grayishy. I'm not gonna ask why the barn gets priority over your kitchen. Just happy that they're getting started.

I did a 1 mile walk w/ Leslie this morning. I know, only one mile, but it's better than the zero miles I've been putting in. Maybe I should do the one mile walk 2 or 3x's a day.

Cherry, you asked my user name at Spark People - it's MizJoy, but I've never posted on the boards there. In fact, the only place I usually ever post is right here.

Half hour until lunch. I have a Lean Cuisine and a bunch of cauliflower waiting for me in the fridge. Yum. and I mean that seriously.
Wabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #3  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

thirteen pounds!!!! wow wabby--that is wonderful!!! i tried counting points for the last month and managed to get rid of five pounds----------imagine that---i went from around 159 or 160 to 153-4----------it seems to fluctuate---AND THAT'S COUNTING POINTS----22 PER DAY=----I WAS DAMN NEAR STARVING!!! FIVE POUNDS IN A MONTH-----------when i was in my twenties i could looose five pounds in a week-------------now all i am doing is trying NOT to gain it back---i just don't think i can stay on the points wagon---it's kind of depressing======what is the 21 day challenge????---i would like to type more but Miss New Brunswick is trying to bury her nose in the keyboard so she can force my fingers to scratch her chin---and now she is trying to type--------------sigh------------ i guess i better stop bragging about loosing two hundred pounds!!!---------it has rained her for a week as well miss aussie fruit.
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #4  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

hey!! my avatar worked---it's from a sunny day in the winter of 2004,down by the used clothing store i like!!!i wish i could get the pic uploading to work when i try to post photos--------------don't worry kiwonkers--------i have given up===you always try to help me and i never figure it out----don't have a math brain i guess!!
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #5  
Member w/ messiest house

I will simply have to believe you about the lean cuisine and cauliflower. I myself have decided to try out a Rachel Ray recipe for brussels sprouts with bacon and balsamic glaze. DH hates brussels sprouts, so I'm hoping they will be unrecognizable.

Wow, I made the best dinner the other night; I should have written it down. I wanted to make fried rice because I had a small amount of napa cabbage left from the asian slaw I made for the twin's dinner on Saturday (did I tell you what they made for us? It was awesome), and DH is not especially crazy about cabbage so I figured if I stirfried it in fried rice, he would not notice (I was right). Anyhoo, I didn't have any pork to put in the rice, but I did have a small package of beef "short ribs" in the freezer and they didn't look like anything you'd bother grilling so I sliced them up and marinated them in some serious homemade teriyaki marinade for a couple of hours. Then I decided they would probably be really tough if I just stir-fried them, so I browned them and cooked them in the pressure cooker (not having time to actually braise them). When they were done, I was afraid they would really suck--they were too salty--but I took a chance and threw them in with the stir-fried cabbage, onions, garlic and celery and made the fried rice. It turned out really really good; the plain rice absorbed most of the extra saltiness and the whole thing was a piece de resistance! Perfect! And not so awful bad in the healthy food department either, although I'm sure white rice is on everybody's Bad List. Perhaps making it with brown rice would work, but I can't be bothered...

Apparently I can't think of anything but food.

Oh yeah, the roofing guys started with the barn because the idiot lumber store, or wherever they ordered the roofing materials from, delivered the wrong stuff, and will have to redeliver tomorrow. The reason they delivered on Monday in the first place was because they had a partial load going to a town not too far from here and they combined the loads. The store is really far away from here, but they will now have to make a special trip to replace the stuff. Dumb-dumbs. Measure twice, cut once, as I always say. (to dh, who first taught me that, but doesn't listen to his own advice) Or more to the point, double check your freaking order before you drive 100 miles to deliver it!!

However, not my problem. Tomorrow I'm going on a little jaunt with my dog-person friend. We are driving up into the Woods to surprise a mutual friend on her 70th birthday. She is working at a woods gate this month and hasn't a clue we are coming. Of course I just saw her 3 days ago when we celebrated our birthdays together, but I didn't tell my dog-person friend that. Well, not in detail anyway. Do you all find you have to "manage" some people in order to be friends with them?

Kiwi
Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #6  
loves kleenex box art

Is a dog-person friend something like Goofy? Does that make you Minnie?

I got email from lcp telling about the trip. She makes it sound legitimate.

Will SOMEBODY please TELL me HOW to GET this STY ready FOR visitors NEXT week? Don't get all snotty, clean new people. Messiness is a disease like alcoholism and shoppingaholicisism and cat scratch fever. I need HELEPEPEPPPP.

I've been putting liquid vitamins in my Coca Cola. Doesn't that seem like a great idea? Now I NEED to finish the coke as it's good for me.

My mom used to cook brussel sprouts. While working in the supermarket, I've noticed that most of the people who buy them say they hate them. They've read how healthful they are and will eat 2-3 for a serving. They actually will buy 2 or 3. A few like them and act all superior for it, but most want to gag at the checkout stand while they're being rung up. I don't mind them but then I have't eaten them in decades. They can be bitter can't they?
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #7  
The magic shrinking cow

Can I confess that I like Brussels Sprouts? Lightly steamed (about 15-18 minutes in the steamer), salted, with just a touch of olive oil. If you like cabbage, there's no good reason not to like Brussels sprouts, except that most eating establishments boil them until they're slimy and dead and then drown them in butter to hide the stench.

Peachie, I wish I could help with the cleaning issue. I'm fighting it too. Always.
Cherry Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #8  

So you're asking the blind to lead the blind out of chaos, Peachy? This is how I do it when I have to - Get up early and clean in your jammies. Put on good music. Loud. Assemble cleaning stuff. Start in back of the house and move to the front (or front to back, your choice.) Anything not belonging in that room throw in a laundry basket by the door. Trash and good stuff. As you move into other rooms, unload the good stuff where it's supposed to stay and when you're done, throw away the trash stuff. Don't stop to read the magazines you're cleaning out. Don't start looking at old photos and getting all nostalgic. Hmmm. Can't think of anything else. You could hire someone, but they don't pick up your stuff, which is the hardest part. I relate to the messiness being a disease. Some ppl are naturally neat. Not me and definitely not DH. I can clean all day and the next day we have it all wiped out again.

Your avatar looks like a professional photograph, Bagzie. Very purty.

I love, love, love brussel sprouts. Steamed like Cherry says w/ some squirt butter. In fact, I had them for dinner last night. mmmmmmm. The thing is, I like just about all food. That's how I got fat.

Kiwi, if I have to "manage" someone in order to be friends w/ them, they're not really a friend. Is this person just difficult? Pouty? Not saying you can't do stuff w/ them sometimes, but they don't really move into the friend catagory if you have to tip toe around them.

We're having a calm, sunny day here, which is wonderful b/c it's been stormy for the last week. We had a tree blow down in the back pasture and it smashed the fence. Luckily the cows aren't smart enough to try and escape. These stormy days are hard on Gpa Jim b/c his trailer house is surrounded by huge fir trees and it's scarey when the wind blows. He won't come over to our house to sleep, though. Stubborn old geezer.

Anyone addicted to Dancing w/ the Stars? Big football player who was light on his feet beat out the cutey patooty latin heartthrob. Yea. I love an underdog.

Your avatar looks like a professional photograph, Bagzie. Very purty.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #9  

Howdy Purty ladies!

Bagzz- you really could be a professional photograher.. I remember the purple Lupine pic you took - just breathtaking!

Cowpie: U Been Gone long time.I missed you. Where did lcp go? Never underestimate the power of the Swiffer! Perhaps fer xmas you will get a RoombaRosie and her brother Scooba..You can knit them matching sweaters.

Cherry: I confess to hating brusselsprouts..little cabbage wannabees... They always taste so bitter to me and they are most stinky. I don't like lima beans or turnips either.

oooh Kiwi, dinner sounds deeeeVine!!! Methinks there's a gormet chef hiding in you. How did Dh's job thing go? And on the new roof!!!

Wabby: oooh, I like yer cleaning tips... That is if I can get Darby outta the laundry basket...silly dog has taken to sleeping in the dirty hamper.. It skeeved me so the dirty clothes are in a pile and there is a pillow and a blanket in the basket for her! Casey on the other hand sleeps in the guest room... it's her room and she sleeps on the queen sized bed I never got into Dancing with the Stars...but it sure seems mighty popular! I watch way toooo much TV...I'm watching Americas Top Model .. its a hoot... TopChef on Bravo.. I love the new show Ugly Betty and Heros... Bones NCIS, CSI, Men in Trees... see what I mean?? Tooooo much TV!!!!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #10  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia View Post
Is a dog-person friend something like Goofy? Does that make you Minnie?
No. And No. Goofy would be a dog friend. Timmy would be a dog-person. I am not Minnie; there is nothing mini about me. I did have a mini skirt once.
Quote:
Will SOMEBODY please TELL me HOW to GET this STY ready FOR visitors NEXT week?
You're having visitors? I think my FIL came over today; I'm glad I wasn't here--that way I can pretend that nobody saw this pigsty. I have no advice for you. I am worse than anyone.
Quote:
I've been putting liquid vitamins in my Coca Cola. Doesn't that seem like a great idea? Now I NEED to finish the coke as it's good for me.
That's a horrible idea. You should put the vitamins in the brussels sprouts.

By the way, the brussels sprouts were not bad. There weren't actually enough of them (it was the end of a frozen package) so I also put green beans in with them. The whole balsamic vinegar thing was interesting, although not really my favorite sort of thing. I did like the bacon bits and onions. Frozen sprouts are really not the way to go anyway. Nice fresh ones I like fairly well, even if they are a tad bitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
Kiwi, if I have to "manage" someone in order to be friends w/ them, they're not really a friend. Is this person just difficult? Pouty?
No, not pouty. Just difficult. Hmm, I hesitate to go into detail just in case of eavesdropping or something, you know? We had a good time, but let's just say it must be on her terms.

I do find that nobody seems to listen to other people any more. Well, actually I usually do, but I don't get to talk much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schatzi View Post
How did Dh's job thing go?
Well, I haven't asked, but he said he was going to get the whole application package finished today. I hope he did (I was gone); it's been about a week since they sent it to him. Please give this man a job.

Must go clean my car insides; we are going on a road trip tomorrow with DDbf and his mom. Not that she is picky or anything, but I am reminded of the time DD and I borrowed BF's car and left mine in his driveway because of a problem with the door -- not only did BF fix the door, but he also washed and vacuumed the car before we got back. I really cannot transport them in a car with dognoseprints all over the windows, you know?

Later, dolls

Kiwi
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #11  

I think brussel sprouts get bitter if you cook them too long. I don't like frozen brussel sprouts, but this is what I do like - cold brussel sprouts leftover from dinner last night, dipped in low fat ranch dressing. What I love is cold brussel sprouts dipped in full fat blue cheese dressing. yummers.

I'm guilty of not being a good enough listener. I think it's b/c I'm cooped up here by myself too much and when I get around live ppl, watch out - maybe I'm just self concious of it b/c that's my dad's worst habit - he never listens to anyone. All conversations are one sided. Kiwi, you'd be a very good friend to go on walks with. I wish I lived close by, we could walk our doggies together. Dotty doggie would love Jett. She's kind of rambunctious too. You may complain about your kitchen, but I imagine it to be the kind of kitchen that would be nice to hang out in and sip a hot toddy or two.

I went to lunch w/ my little sis today, even though I'd already eaten my Lean Cuisine and cold brussel sprouts. I had a salad while she ate. We talked about growing up in our disfunctional family. There are 9 years between us, and she said that I was the person who nurtured her when she was growing up. I do remember dragging her around like she was my live dolly.

Schatz, I'm guilty of waaay too much tv too. It seems to be the thing to do on these dark and stormy nights. I'm spoiled w/ the DVR, though. I can't stand watching commercials anymore, so I seldom watch "live" tv. I record it and watch it later so I can zip through the commercials.

Oooo. time to go home. See yas!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #12  
loves kleenex box art

Code:
Never underestimate the power of the Swiffer!
I don't know how to make that Orignally Posted by Shotsy thing.

BUT A BIG FAT LOL !!! Shots is a neatnack and does not understnad there are piles of mail on the chair by the door. What would Swiffer do for that? People like Shots and Painty and such think a messie house is a few pieces of lint on the floor. !!!! We (Well, I) used to run people like you off!!!! I have grown more tolerant.

So ... if Kiwi is not Minnie and her friend is not Goofy, then can Kiwi be Goofy? I want to call someone Goofy. I like the name Goofy. I am not getting another cat and I did call one of the kids that but he had the nerve to point it out. "Did you call me Goofy?" Yes.

I made paperdolls to entertain them. The kind that hold hands across the page and one of the little girls grabbed her scissors and went for their necks. "Are you going to cut their heads off?" I asked. "Yep." she said. But she didn't. I made her her own paperdolls to snip at.

One of the little GIRLS repeatedly says that Santa is bringing her guns. One of the boys wants a baby doll and I get that. They have baby dolls in the room and the little boys cuddle them just like the girls. Some of the kids want "Trick or Treat" for Christmas. Someone explained this means candy.

Lush could help me clean. Ever since our mom said I would inherit the wooden shoes whittled by an Amish ancestor in 1882, she hasn't spoken to me. Lush is getting the wooden spoons. She can't have it all. I would trade the shoes for a clean house althought as Wabby said, clean it one day and it's all a-mess the next. Why is that? I am sick of this. Why does Shots' house house stay neat????? Why???? It's not fair. WHAAAAAAAAA
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #13  
loves kleenex box art

DS and LCP will be here for T-giving.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #14  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby View Post
I'm guilty of not being a good enough listener. I think it's b/c I'm cooped up here by myself too much and when I get around live ppl, watch out - maybe I'm just self concious of it b/c that's my dad's worst habit - he never listens to anyone.
I'll bet you are not a bad listener at all, just very aware of it when you don't listen because of your dad. I feel really badly if I find myself interrupting or not listening because I know how much I dislike it when it happens to me.
Quote:
So ... if Kiwi is not Minnie and her friend is not Goofy, then can Kiwi be Goofy? I want to call someone Goofy.
Jet is goofy. So am I.

I think those kids sound as though their parents don't talk to them enough about anything and everything. 4-year-olds ought to know that trick or treat is a special event and candy is candy. But it's kind of cute anyway. Trick or treat for Christmas. Reminds me of DD when she was that age and the only thing she wanted for Christmas was a magic wand and a nutcracker. Of course they both had to really work. It was a very tall order.

Quote:
DS and LCP will be here for T-giving.
Yay!!

We're off in the morning to Boston. Bye
Kiwi
Old 11-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #15  
loves kleenex box art

I fergot to say how nice it was to get messiness help from Wabby who understands that trash and clutter all go in the same basket. This makes perfect sense as they are both on the same desk right now.

And you are a good listener or you wouldn't have known what I meant. So there. After you get me straightened out with the clutter and trash, tell me how to trim my waistline.

Bye Goofy.