Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #1  
hara hachi bu

Question Plus-Size Vintage Clothing

I've noticed very few plus-sized items at vintage clothing shops. I asked one owner why, and she said she seldom encounters plus sizes from different eras.

Why is this? I'm 36 and didn't wear plus sizes in the 70s or 80s, but I know that plus-sized women existed then (even though the current theory is that more people were thinner then). Did they just run around in homemade muumuus, or what?

The best I can do (besides accessories) in vintage shops is accessories and a few mens' items.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

The one thing that pops into my head is that it's difficult even today to find trendy plus-sized clothing. I'd assume it was even more difficult in years past, so what's available in "vintage" plus sizes are probably not things you'd really want to wear, ya know? I'm thinking business suits with big shoulder pads, frumpy skirts, etc. Does that make sense?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

True, good point! Yah, it is still hard to find trendy and/or decent off-beat clothing for plus sizes, even new.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #4  

Although I don't know about the rest of you, I tend to wear the clothes I like "out." Once I find something I'm comfortable with, it's usually not in good enough shape to send to a second-hand store.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Alas never fear...there is a store that is both new and vintage unique clothing that I shop at regularly. Its a multilevel building with a big pink stripe around it...downstairs is the dollar a pound and upstairs is a mix of new and vintage duds...mostly vintage...everything from handbags, to overalls, to wedding dresses to corsets...its a great place!
I know it can't do you gals much good since you are no where near Boston...but they do have a website. The shopping online is pretty much new stuff..not for plus women... you have to really be there and dig to get great finds but I just thought I'd assure you that plus size vintage does exist
http://www.garmentdistrict.com/index.htm
and if you every are in Boston I highly recommend a trip!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:24 PM   #6  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/ecstarclothing.html#

this one can have some good stuff.

i personally love 30's, 40's and 50's vintage. That's going to be one of the lifestyle changes i make after reaching my goal weight; I wil wear more vintage clothing. although i am adding pieces to my wardrobe now.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

That was a wicked site! Thanks for sharing - wish I had tons of cash to spend on all the Rockabilly and retro dresses!
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #8  

Back in the 70s and 80s I wore plus sized clothing. At that time, most of what was available ranged from plain to hideous. Shopping was very tough -- the assumption was that you were at least 5'7" tall (I'm 5' and had to hem EVERYTHING -- and I hate to sew!!). You were also assumed to be old, and dark colors were predominant. I used to wear maternity tops (if I could find them big enough) just because they tended to have lace and look a little bit "girly".

Even worse was when I became pregnant and needed maternity clothing to fit a pregnant size 26'er. It had to be ordered through a catalog, and most of what was available was really grotesque! The JC Penney catalog offered plus sized maternity (up to size 24), but again all the cute things only went to a size 16.

Be glad that today you can easily find stylish clothing! Maybe someday there WILL be a vintage plus-sized market...
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 10"

http://www.torrid.com

They have super cute clothes-- kind of spendy, but worth it! Some are vintage looking.
Aquanetrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 PM   #10  

I can't even imagine trying to purchase clothes 30 years ago AND being plus size! What a nightmare!!
WooChx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

30 years ago I was an obese 10 year old, and it was a NIGHTMARE. Mom made alot of my clothes, but I remember crying the first time we were able to find jeans in my size.

I used to garage sale shop alot, and whenever a sale in the classifieds advertised plus size clothing, I'd be at that sale as soon as it opened. I think many plus size women wear their clothes like I have though. Really nice clothing is so hard to find that it doesn't get passed on, it is worn until it's only fit for the rag bin.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 198/198/178

Height: 5'6"

check out http://www.sweetsoul.biz/index.php and
http://bon-bon-style.com/aboutus/index.html
they are two local vancouver designers who do plus sizes and retro clothes. soooo cute.
keeponkeepingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/223/135

Height: 5' 4"

I love vintage and retro clothing and have managed to find a lot of plus size dresses (mostly from the 1950's) in thrift shops such as the Salvation Army. You have to go on a regular basis and comb through ALL the racks, but eventually you will get lucky.

You can also buy plus size vintage patterns on Ebay and make your own.
HobokenLady is offline   Reply With Quote