Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-13-2006, 12:51 PM   #1  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Default too much brown rice?

Lately I've been eating a lot of brown rice. I get the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's and I found it to be so versatile, easy, filling, and low in calories (compared to pasta) that I eat with a lot of different things (with veggies, with pre-made Indian meals, with winter squash, with stir-fry, with soup or chili). Because it is so versatile, I end up eating it frequently. I don't eat more than one serving per day, but it isn't unusual for me to have one serving every day for several days in a row. Reviewing my lunch choices for this week, I see that I could easily eat it every day.

Do you think it is bad to eat brown rice on an almost daily basis?
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't see how it would be a problem, so long as you're also incorporating veggies and protein with the meal--not like you're eating just rice and nothing else
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #3  
Mel

I don't see a problem as long as it fits in to your caloric profile and you are getting the rest of your nutrients- protein, vegies, fruit. I eat hardly any other grain at this point.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #4  
it's always something

Brown rice is a whole grain, and most of us need 3 to 6 servings of whole grains every day. (1 serving of brown rice is 1/2 cup cooked). I started eating a lot of it daily when I tried the Fat Smash diet and found that it was really filling and kept me from eating things I shouldn't.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Thanks! I do eat lots of veggies and fruit and usually have a lean meat for dinner, if not also with lunch, so the rice definitely isn't the only thing I'm eating. Glad to know it isn't one more thing I have to give up!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote