The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #1  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default November 1st Show Discussion - Spoilers!

So... It's November 2nd and I just wanted to reflect on last night's show and see how everyone else felt about it.

The whole duos thing is something to be desired, but the fact that they are sending 2 people home at one time kind of stinks IMHO. I was glad Wylie got off the chopping block and got the power. Most of the decisions he made were decent. I was extremely disappointed to see Brian get put with Pam. She was the better of the 3 girls as far as attitude, but I knew it would lead to Brian's demise.

I was almost jumping up and down when Bob and Kim started arguing.... it wasn't a big fight but I was ready for Bob to lay her out. It would have been a totally sexy move in my book. Personally, if I could afford it I'd hire Bob to fly out to my house and train me everyday for the rest of my weightloss journey. I feel like if that were possible, he does everything in his power to get you off of your butt and shed the weight. Granted you may cuss him a few times while doing it, but you'll thank him in the end. Not to mention he's something nice to look at!

The whole Eric gaining weight.... I saw that coming. And even though Kai said it, I wish she would have skipped the pass and gone home taking Eric with her. But I guess it's like survivor now... it's all how you play the game. It tickled me pink when they all found out the home players were coming back. They were all like "we're gonna kick them out quick." Not so fast.... the home players have lost more weight than the ranchers.

I think the next week or two will be interesting if the trainer's still have to train together in the gym. I wonder if they will still be showing favor towards the original teams or not. I'm glad Heather has toned down her dictatorship since she has teamed with Bobby..... I just have a feeling things are going to get nasty next week.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 AM   #2  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Totally forgot to mention Brian's weightloss after he got home.....

118 pounds all together.... wow! I was his mini cheerleader and was sad to see him go home but he looks so much better now that he's lost all that weight!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Isn't a strange season? I missed a few episodes so that may be the difference for me, but I almost have to force myself to watch it. The pay-off of course is watching the last 10 minutes when they flash the before pictures next to them as they weigh in. It amazes me the difference and I like to see what certain weights look like. Also, when they showed Brian I did not even recognize him at home, I thought it was another home player. Actually I have high hopes for the people coming back, maybe one of them will capture my support and I'll have someone to root for.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I also did not recognize Brian in the update - I too thought they were just featuring another home contestant that was totally unrelated! Pam looked good too. She was also the only girl I would have wanted to win. Guess now I'll have to root for a guy.

I'm not sure they will continue booting them off in pairs. I think they did that only to make room for 2 new home people to come back. I think (hope) that now it will return to normal with one person going per week. They have 8 people left and about 6 weeks before the finale that's carried live, so that would seem about right. If they continue to drop 2 each week, we'd be out of people by end of November and the big finale is always mid-december.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/226/165

"That was Brian!!!" I just had to rewind!! I am glad that I was not the only one who didn't recognize Brian in the update. I too thought they were just featuring another home contestant that had lost a lot. He looked great.
I am glad that they mixed up the teams.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledom View Post
Isn't a strange season?
I agree....I have been watching every week...but I still am having a hard time really rooting for anyone in particular...maybe Poppi!! I just like her name and they took out my CA guy, Brian. Doesn't he look fabulous shaved? He looks years younger, too. I am more excited to see the after shots - they are so amazing!
I understand why they do it, and it isn't the first season they have done it...but this product placement crap really gets on my nerves...MILK? Drink 3 glasses of milk every day if you want to lose weight? WTF? **shakes head**
I don't have a problem with milk per se - but 3 glasses? I just don't think a couple hundred extra calories a day is a nifty idea. I can get my calcium from other sources with less calories.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #7  

TOTALLY agree Gina. First it was those darn Jennie O chicken breasts. (Hello? It's all regional. We don't have Jennie O here just like you probably don't have golden wings in the west. Who cares. Just say what they are - chicken breasts for gosh sakes!) Then the Jello, same as last season, and yes, now MILK. And guess what, my fav trainer Kim (not!), there have been just as many studies which shed doubt on the milk study as the ones they claim to have for it. And they weren't sponsored by the milk industry!! lol It's alot of things this year, too much Kim, not enough Bob, no Jillian, too much hokey product placement (and restaurant names too!), it's getting too commercial I guess. Check out the website - it's all about your shopping cart now - I've never seen tshirts as expensive as what TBL ones are. Course last year they sold out so I guess they were justified in raising the prices, right?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #8  

I had to quit watching the show. First of all it comes on against Lost and I already tivo One tree Hill, so the Biggest Loser has lost out, LOL! I could go to the back and record it but I am not really crazy about any of the contestents anyways and I can't stand Kim. I did catch up on bravo the other day and I liked Pam alot and thought she had a lot of determination. I wanted her to win. Now that I know she's gone, there's no reason for me to watch. I haven't liked Heather since the show where she was yelling at that girl. Nope...I just don't like that one. I hope she doesn't win.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #9  

It was the right time to mix it up a bit. The red team and Kim just bring the show down. It makes it difficult for me to watch sometimes. When Kim was arguing with Bob I was thinking get over yourself. He doesn't train like you okay...
Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #10  

I don't even think he likes her. He tolerates her. He and Jillian seemed to be more of a partnership even tho they were competitors. But didn't they use to seem to get along better or at least were shown more often walking around together or waiting out the vote together? He just looked like he was doing everything he could not to laugh at her and tell her how he really felt.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/173/115

Height: 5'2"

that women drives me crazy!! i hope a blue member wins for sure, or even one of the home people! i don't understand why they were all p.o ed that the home people got a chance, i mean think how hard they have had to work to keep up with the people at the ranch, i think i would be impressed that the were on par not mad that they had the opportunity that they deserve....
Old 11-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

**skrog** - at first I didn't get why the people at the ranch would be so upset about the people from home getting to be included....I was thinking they should be impressed that anyone could keep up with them (with the 24/7 emphasis on weight loss and the personal trainers and special kitchen)...but then I thought about how hard it would be to be away from your family and friends for so long....I have a feeling that is the perspective the people who have been on the ranch the whole time are looking at it from.

I still think they should be impressed....I sure am!
Old 11-10-2006, 10:05 PM   #13  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I was frankly appalled at how the teams were acting towards the "outsiders"....they acted more like children like adults! It really pissed me off when I saw two women from the red team trying to haul the extra bed from their bedroom into another room just because they didn't want to put up with the new woman! I don't know if the new woman realized what was going on or not, but it was pretty obvious these women didn't want her around.

I am inclined to believe that the teams were extremely jealous and envious of the newcomer's weight loss, including the trainers. The whole impression that I got from this episode was one of an exclusive club. Granted, the new woman could have given the training a bit more try, and since she's now in a competition, she really needs to bond with her teammates here, but I also thought that Kim was being unfair towards her by telling her that she needed to be more open minded to other training techniques, even though this woman had a higher percentage of weight loss than the women on the team to date! ****, they should be ASKING HER how to improve their own workouts!
Old 11-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Such an interesting show! It just illustrates the psychology of adding "outsiders" to the mix. This reaction of "us vs them" happens no matter what the environment! I was on a management course, and the instructors illustrated this by removing one person from the group, having the group work on an exercise, and then reintroducing the person from the group for the purposes of input. The result was the same -- "us vs them". As for the percentage of weight loss, I really believe diet is 80% of the issue. The new fellow was eating a very strict, low cal, low carb regimen while the other fellows were eating a more balanced diet. Just goes to show that, as I personally believe, weight loss is 80% about the diet, and 20% about the exercise. I think that this show really illustrated this fact well!
Can't wait for next week. And, I think the remaining original women are hags...Just my opinion!!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #15  

During that whole session with Kim b*tching out the new girl about how she needs to follow her program I was just livid. Kim was totally buying into the b*tchiness of the other two red team girls by just being like "YOU are an OUTSIDER! YOU aren't part of our CLUB! YOU are the NEWBIE!" crud. I kept thinking, god Jillian would never have acted this immature and bratty. Seriously, Kim is a child, mentally. She tries to act tough but Jillian could mop up the floor with her. That show needs to BEG Jillian to come back!!

Anyway, yeah, I agree, it's like here's this woman who ON HER OWN has lost a higher percentage than any woman at the ranch, and they are telling her she doesn't know jack? The point of the workouts should have been to build bonds and feel like you're all in this together. That speech should have been given to the original players AND the new players.

I loved when Eric said "it isn't fair!" What isn't fair? The fact that these people didn't live in a totally structured environment with personal trainers at their beck and call 24 hours a day? You're right, the new players SHOULD be complaining it isn't fair!

I swear, this season's contestants all annoy me to no end, with very few exceptions.