Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 10-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/233/165

Height: 5'9

Default What did you do to lose weight after pregnancy???

I just had my baby 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I also have a 17 month old, so from both pregnancies I gained around 70lbs. I have lost almost 30lbs but I want to keep going, even past my pre-pregnancy weight. I weighed 215 before I got pregnant with my first son. Well I was just wondering what everyone was doing to lose this weight. I know Breastfeeding is a big thing, which I tried but I wasn't producing enough milk and after a week and a half my son was just starving so I pretty much gave up and went to formula. Any tips will help! TIA!!!

Stephanie
MamaOf2LilBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't know if it's too late, but I would suggest not to give up on the breastfeeding. Supplement with formula, but keep trying. Mine wasn't producing either, so we supplemented. And to get him to latch, we had to dribble a bottle of formula down my breast and into the corner of his mouth for a couple of days until his suction finally got them started.

As for the weight, while I've kinda gotten stuck where I am, I lost much of what I gained by continuing daily exercise and eating right. I've had so much going on though that my exercise has often been put on hold lately and sometimes I don't carefully watch what I eat, then I get back on track for awhile, so I'm not really moving anywhere. Once we can get moved into the house we're buying, I'll have some room to do my indoor exercise again and use my equipment. That will help.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #3  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

I nursed for between 10 and 11 mos and lost all 57 lbs that way. After I quit nursing, I put on 10 lbs the first month (because I didn't change my diet from bf to not) so I started la weight loss (didn't pay for the program, used my brother-in-law's information). Basically, it worked because it was the first time I limited my starch intake drastically...not low carb like Atkins, but it forced me to eat more protein, fruit, and veggies than I normally would in my allotted calories for the day. I think that helped. I wish I could say exercise, but I can't. I lost 36 lbs on that diet before getting pg again.

Mary
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Breastfeeding....please try again! Doctors and a lot of OB nurses are not that knowledgable, unless they BF'ed themselves. I suggest calling your hospital and having them find you contact info for a lactation consultant-PRONTO!!! It is not too late!!!! If your hospital does not have info-call the hospital in the next town!!!

Exercise-you only had your baby 2 1/2 weeks ago, so right now I only suggest walking, and only what you are comfortable with, and what will not make your bleeding heavier. (That is a sign of doing too much, too soon.) After your 6 week appointment-ease back into other exercise slowly.

Eating right!!

Remember-you gained this weight over two pregnancies, and you JUST gave birth-so don't try to lose too quickly. You are still healing.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168(post-baby)/125/115

Height: 5'4"

First of all, congratulations on your new baby!!! I have an 8 month old son, and have to agree with the other ladies - breastfeeding helped me lose weight sooo fast. I was at pre-pregnancy weight at 6wks pp, and am now 10lbs lighter than when I got pregnant.
Next - exercise is so key. I started walking as soon as I felt ready, and after my 6 week checkup, I started exercising around the house. (I'm a SAHM, and getting out was really hard at first). We have 2 flights of stairs, and I'd go up and down them for 20 minutes. I'd do walking lunges around the living/dining room; crunches while watching tv, squats while folding laundry... Later on, I started doing DVD's - the Biggest Loser, The Firm, kickboxing... I'm sure there are more but those were my main ones.
Drink LOTS of water - especially if you are breastfeeding. I drink about a gallon a day, and not only does it make you feel full, it flushes all the 'bad' stuff out. Sometimes I drink crystal light too, just for a change.

Good Luck!
audreylynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote