Old 10-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #1  
Video Kid

Default Mistake and tips?

Hey, I'm kinda new on this forum, so if I'm putting this thread in the wrong place sorry. Some other forums I'm on are thread ****s.

My boyfriend and I live in the same apartment complex, so sometimes we stay over at each other's houses. I noticed a while back that I eat A LOT more when I stay down at his house, so I try to avoid staying there overnight.
Yesterday I went over there to watch TV and ended up snacking all night. It wasn't really bad stuff, just an extra sandwich and some crackers with cheese.

I know I need to stay focused, but it's hard not to feel like I just blew yesterday, and all that hard work I've been doing. It makes me feel like a failure, and I just started. I feel like all those bad things I've heard my whole life are true, that I'm fat and lazy, I have no willpower, that I'm a pig. I just feel really down.

When I get hungry I just eat and eat and eat. Any tips on healthy snack foods that won't make me feel like he's eating a candy bar and I'm eating cardboard?
Kadjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #2  

if you're looking for something you can eat that feels like cheating, grab some sugar free/fat free pudding or a sugar-free fudgsicle. If you've got enough control over yourself to resist eating the whole bowl of pudding or box of fudgcicles, they really help you feel like you're not deprived, for like, 70 calories.

Popcorn is a good snack... though that might fall in the "eating cardboard" category (see, I don't like popcorn much myself!)

I'm not much of a snacker, so I'll wait for other ladies to chime in... But welcome to 3FC!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I am a fan of having some type of snack at night. I count my calories so I just build it into my daily plan. Maybe if you know you are going to be going to your boyfriends for the night you might be able to have a smaller lunch or dinner to make up for the snacks you'll eat later on. Or try and get some extra exercise in durning the day.

Here is a tread that was posted in the 100lb club that has some really great snack suggestions.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96174
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #4  
Video Kid

Thanks you guys, I didn't even think of fudgecicles (duh! I love those)

and thank you for the article and info.

Most of this stuff I would have never thought, but it sounds really good.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #5  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

I'm a big fan of sugar free/fat free jello!

I'm just starting out, too, and by posting this thread, you're helping me (and a lot of others). Thankyou!

Last edited by martiniforme; 10-28-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Thread... Not Threat! LOL
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #6  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

dont give up uon yourself, one night giving in has clearly helped you realise some of your main problem eating areas. if you eat bad one time, then you could always just do some extra exercise to get rid of the guilt (not that it is a good thing to pig out then try and work it off) but at least the guilt has gone from your mistake and you learn from it as such...
Im sure the cravings will damen when you learn how to controll them :-)
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #7  
I can do it this time.

When you go over and you know you might have the chance of you snacking, just tell your boyfriend you brought over some snacks tonight, if he knows what your trying to accomplish he will understand.
lovethatsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #8  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

This is something that's really difficult for me, too.
My husband demands that I keep the kitchen stocked with all the junk he loves, my diet should have nothing to do with what he eats apparently. It's alot harder to have willpower when you're constantly faced with all the bad choices.
If you're counting calories, and it isn't that often, you can "budget" in whatever he's eating too, just in moderation. That's the beauty of counting. Nothing is really off limits.
But I second the popcorn and the sugar free pudding. I buy the light popcorn, and the sugar free chocolate individual cups (so I don't have to worry about portions) and top them with light cool whip.....sometimes I can sneak them in on my dh and he doesn't even notice the difference. I'm also a fan of the light potato chips-no fat and way less calories. The chips and popcorn are good for those times when you need to mindlessly have your hand in a bowl crunching away watching movies, etc. It's better than feeling left out or distracted by watching everyone else eat, and there's alot less damage done.
And please don't feel too badly about the sandwich and crackers. That was actually a healthy choice compared to what it could have been, like the half a pizza I've been known to stuff myself with when I hang out with my man, lol.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #9  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

or, if you're like me, you just snack and snack even when you're not hungary, in this case, you need some distraction ideas. Maybe you could brush your teeth right before you go over, then get a tin of mints or something. I never feel as strong of an urge to snack when i have a mint because it wouldn't taste nearly as good. Or maybe you can make some tea or another calorie free drink?
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 PM   #10  
Video Kid

Thanks for the tips. I talked to my Bf, and he agreed (for his health and mine) to switch some junky snacks with some of the healthy ones, ya'll suggested.

I do tend to eat more at night, so instead of evening out my calories all day, I've started eating really light during the day (when I'm not hungry), and saving most of my calories for when I'm really hungry, which seems to be at 9 pm,lol. I am also trying to eat a medium supper early, at six, and then a snack at 8 or so. Thank you so much for the tips and support, it really helps. Plus you guys are like weight loss geniuses! I still can't believe I forgot fudgesicles
Old 10-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadjah View Post
Thanks for the tips. I talked to my Bf, and he agreed (for his health and mine) to switch some junky snacks with some of the healthy ones, ya'll suggested.
That's awesome that he's going to work with you! My boyfriend and I live together, and I do the grocery shopping and cooking, so he doesn't get any junk at home. He can have whatever he wants from the vending machines at work or going out for fast food for lunch or whatever, but here in our apartment, the kitchen is my domain But luckily, he doesn't seem to mind since he's thankful enough that I do the shopping and cooking so he doesn't have to. And GREAT JOB to you for talking to him about it rather than trying to go it alone, so to speak.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote