Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 276/209/160

Height: 5'5

Default Day 4 on my committment to abstenence

I am so greatful that my HP is helping me do what I am not able to do for myself. I feel it, I see it, I know it.
I am so thankful for my HP, that I found this place, the recovery group, AA, OA to help me with my disease.
I was reading the OA motto that together we can do what we couldnt do alone. It is so true, we need each other's strength, hope and experience.
So today as I committ another to staying abstent, and using my tools, I ask thank you for standing with me also
Denise
deebygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

Here Here. We're right here with you.
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Denise,

Good job and awesome attitude! Thank you for checking in. We are here for each other.

I am on day three of abstinence. I have been pray, pray, praying, having silent talks in my head with God everyday. I'm getting awareness of my powerlessness over food like you wouldn't believe. I asked for it, bring it on!

Today is snowing like crazy. My son is off from school this week, so we are inside. Normally we would celebrate the snow with making cookies, hot chocolate, etc. Today we'll do a craft, watch a movie!

xo
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

GOOD GOOD GOOD for you! I don't know where I read this or whether or not it is an exact quote, but...

"Commitment is more important than motivation. Commitment isn't the ambitious drive for something, it is faith that sticking to a path will eventually produce a result."

Keep going! You may feel cravings, emotional urges, etc... but your commitment to your recovery is more important than motivation!

I'm right there with you!

Lindy
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/268.5/180

Height: 5'10"

Hi Denise,

I am also on day 4 of my committed abstinance! Congratulations! I know what you mean about feeling great. I also thank God for these 12-step fellowships - in fact it was the AA program that brought me to God. I know that I can't do this alone ...I've been trying for fourteen years and I think I am finally ready to give up my stubborn will and do it God's way.

Janet
justducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/209/160

Height: 5'5

Janet, that is wonderful!!!
I went to a f2f meeting today and it was awesome. I thought because I was outside and was meeting a girlfriend for lunch, that of course, I would mess up. Nope!!! I ate like I was supposed to and was in total shock, I didnt even believe it. My girlfriend was really in shock. All I could tell her it works, if you work it, and those are the promises.
I am so amazed and thankful!!!!
Denise
Keep up the good work, and keep coming back
deebygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #7  

Denise-
That's awesome.

Janet-
Great job!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #8  

Lindy-
Welcome! Great to see a new face.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #9  

What is abstinence? I have heard this on other sites but don't know what it means.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #10  

Hi Carol-
Abstinence means to refrain from compulsive eating. Just like an alcoholic in recovery abstains from drinking alcohol, compulsive overeaters in recovery abstain from compulsive eating.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:26 AM   #11  

What do you consider to be compulsive eating?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #12  

Carol-
Now that's a great question. Here's an explanation from the book Overeaters Anonymous pg.67:
"Self-knowledge could not stop me from eating compulsively: once I began, I could not stop. No amount of will power was sufficient to stop me from eating when the craving arose."

Compulsive eating is when you are compelled to eat even when not hungry, even when stuffed. The desire to eat is greater than any other desire. You will go to any lengths to eat. Some people will steal and some will lie to feed the addiction. Some people buy lots of food and pretend that they are buying it for others. Some people eat before they eat, and again after they eat. Compulsive eaters obsess about food. We think about it all the time. We think about what we are going to eat. What we'll eat on the way to get it, and what we can eat afterwards. Some of us also think about how we can hide how much we're eating.

I knew that I was a compulsive eater when I had finished my third ice cream sandwich, and wondered how many were left in the box. No amount that I could eat would satisfy me. I was going from food to food looking for something to fill the void that was inside me.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Carol,

There's a quiz you can take on the OA website "Are You A Compulsive Eater?"

http://www.oa.org/is_oa.html

I answered yes to every single question.

Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote