Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Need a workout that will kick my ***!

Okay, I have been disappointed TWICE this weekend.

On Saturday, I participated in a charity event - raising money by climbing the CN Tower. 1,776 stairs and the world's tallest building SOUNDED like a lot. In reality, it took me 23 minutes & 10 seconds, and I wasn't even a bit sore the next day.

On Sunday, I did something new at my gym called the "Extreme Sunday Workout." It was fine, but no more "extreme" than any other class.

I like my workouts, but once a week or so, I'd like to be able to do something that leaves me just completely wiped out. I don't have the TIME to run for two hours (which WOULD kick my ***, believe me!) - so, I need ideas!! What's a really good, ***-kicking workout that I can do in an hour or so???
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #2  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

Try to find a boxing class at a boxing gym.
RockerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:12 PM   #3  
Meg

Here ya go ... my favorite compound exercise workout .

Do four sets each, with a heavy enough weight that you're at or close to failure by 8 - 10 reps (except the pushups are to failure).
  • Assisted pullups (unassisted if you can )
  • BB squats
  • Bench press
  • Lunges (your choice, weighted of course)
  • Pushups (to failure, on your toes if you can)
  • BB deadlifts

You're alternating upper and lower body and will work every muscle in your body. I guarantee it will kick your ***! And you can do all 24 sets in an hour.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #4  

You are extremely fit for someone who only trains once per week, but if you want to "get sore" you need to train with truly challenging levels of resistance. Meg's plan is a good one, and should meet your goals.

If you feel the stair work is a waste of time, you might try it with a weighted vest next year. Even an extra 10 or 15# might make a world of difference.

I am heavy enough to make stairs quite challenging without any extra weight, but I did experiment with speed walking around a track with a 110# barbell. Even a quarter mile at 3mph+ is a pretty good workout.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Tae bo kills me.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ohh Meg, I'm writing that one down for later!!
It goes in my little black training book.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

That sounds great, Meg! I'm saving it for the weekend because I don't know if I can handle having my *** kicked first day on a weekday morning.

I've heard good things about tae-bo/boxing - unfortunately my gym doesn't offer either of them, and I'm not really in a position to spend more money taking a special class elsewhere just now. Maybe someday!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/203/165

Height: 5'7

Have you tried Spinning classes?!?! Those will kick your butt if you have a good instructor!
Kreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

It seems to me that doing anything high intensity for an hour should result in some sweaty soreness. How about jumping rope for an hour or doing wind sprints for an hour? Go back to that building and run the stairs for another 36minutes and 50 seconds?
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #10  

I feel as though I am in pretty good shape, I run a lot of hills ,distance, ect. But a couple times a week I do a workout very close to what Meg described, and a very tough spin class, and yeah it works. Try something new, challenge your muscles in a whole new way, your body gets bored, change it up , you'll feel it.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote