Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Supplements?

I was wondering if anyone of you whole foods chicks beside me take supplements. I know the point of a whole foods diet is to get nutrition 'naturally' but I do take a couple as insurance. I take a multivitamin, a green tea extract supplement (since I'm terrible at drinking tea most days), and a fish oil capsule.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

I take a multivitamin and 500 mg of calcium daily. I'm over 50 so the DRA of calcium is lik3 1200-1500 and I figure I get enough of the rest from my food. I took some glucosamine for awhile, but I didn't think it did much for me. We eat a lot of salmon and walnuts, so I think I'm good on Omega 3's.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #3  

I try to remember to take a multi-vitamin which I actually DO remember about 3x week. I should take calcium but yuck! I probably should add fish oil too but truthfully, I hate pills and supplements. I'm sort of the all natural type.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah the calcium. I take a couple extra strength TUMs most days, but it is usually for heartburn so I don't think of it as a supplement. But I does double duty there!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

I take a woman's multivitamin withe extra calcium and I also take an extra folic acid pill (to prepare for pregnancy). I have supplements added to my fruit smoothies every morning - a couple of proprietary blends, with major ingredients being chromium and ginseng. I'm pondering a fish oil supplement as well, but seeing if I can get enough into my diet via food first!

Finally, though this isn't exactly a supplement, its not exactly food - I get a 1oz shot of fresh wheatgrass juice every morning.
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I take a multivitamin daily, 2 calciums and 1 vitamin D (doctor's orders). I also take fish oil on the days I don't eat fish. My doctor suggested taking a Tums with every meal that I don't have calcium, but I always forget, so I take calcium pills instead. I know you're supposed to take the calcium with a meal, but I forget that, too. I take all my vitamins at night because they make my tummy feel icky when I take them in the morning.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I take a multivitamin daily, 2 calciums and 1 vitamin D (doctor's orders). I also take fish oil on the days I don't eat fish. My doctor suggested taking a Tums with every meal that I don't have calcium, but I always forget, so I take calcium pills instead. I know you're supposed to take the calcium with a meal, but I forget that, too. I take all my vitamins at night because they make my tummy feel icky when I take them in the morning.
Be careful you're not wasting your money on the calcium--the human body can typically only absorb up to 500-600mg of calcium at one time, and most calcium pills are about 600mg. Therefore, if you take 2 at a time, your body can only absorb one of them, and the other goes, well, in one end and out the other If you need to take 2 in a day, you should spread them out to make sure your body can absorb as much as possible.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote