Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/133/125

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone else a fast eater?

I've been wondering for a while now if maybe any one else here eats really quickly? I just shovel food into my mouth like I haven't eaten in weeks and pretty much everyone I know is amazed at how quickly I eat. I really don't know why but I can never slow down. Maybe it has to do with how much I used to weigh and my relationship with food?

I don't think I used to eat this quickly when I was 280.
Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #2  
Meg

Much to my dismay, I'm a fast eater too. The problem is that I'm always starving when it's time to eat, so I tend to inhale my food. I've tried to slow down, but it doesn't work ... so

In my case, I don't think it's as much a food issue as just being hungry at mealtimes. When I was fat, I was probably never ever hungry when I ate!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I used to be a fast eater, but I eat so many vegetables now, I have to slow down to chew!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I inhale my food too... DH and the kids do too, meal times are done in 5 minutes flat ... Even when I try hard to slow down I eat faster than the normal person... I too am hungry at every meal, so git out of my way, I want food!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:21 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I do conciously try to slow down. My DH eats much more slowly. My sister, who has a lap band, absolutely had to learn. She was in counseling several months before the procedure, and they gave her all the tools we probably all learned at one point. Take tiny bites, put your fork down between bites, eat mindfully, etc. When I'm alone I usually eat fast, and unfortunately often mindlessly (of what I'm eating, not of what I've chosen to have for my meal ) Anne's right, things that need more chewing help you slow down. Does it hurt to eat fast if you're eating only what you intend? I don't know.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I eat SO fast -- I never take more than 3 minutes (especially since the majority of my meal are 9 oz or less). I try to eat at the computer so I'm distracted a little bit. My dad is the same way, and my sisters and my mom don't have the habit. I always ate really fast even when I was a kid. My mom always would yell at me to slow down. I didn't think it was that noticeable until my ex-bf commented how big the bites I take of my food are. And then I got self-conscious and started being mindful of when I eat around other people -- but it's a rarity when I not eating alone.

I've tried slowing down, but I like eating really fast and taking big bites because I just enjoy the food more that way. It's like the one habit I can hang on to from my previous lifestyle. And since I don't get to keep anything else, I'll take it. And it's harmless (for me anyway).
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I inhale my food at most meals. I always have. Its not like there is enough time in the day to actually sit down with 4 kids, a husband, a dog and a job, LOL
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #8  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

For me the danger of eating fast is the risk of seconds (or thirds...). Particularly in a buffet situation or a family dinner when other people are still eating, there is still stuff on the table and you don't want to be the only person who has finished.

I'm a pretty fast eater, although I am getting better. Sometimes when I'm eating with other people I try to play a game with myself to make sure I'm not the first person to finish, and really try to watch how fast I'm eating. But I eat most of my meals alone, so that doesn't always help much.

I'm always astounded when I realise how little time eating actually takes particularly if I'm on my own and don't have conversation to break the flow.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have always been a fast eater. I have purposefully tried to slow it down. I eat most of my meals alone and they are gone before I realize it. My DH is a fast eater too,, but both my children eat very slow.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/113/115

Height: 5'4"

Like most everyone here, I'm so hungry when it's time to eat that I just about inhale my food. I used to be a very slow eater, but now with all the exercise I do and my "no snacking between meals" rule I just can't help myself. To watch me eat you'd think that I hadn't eaten in a month!

I do feel self-concious about it but not enough to slow down just for the sake of others. KWIM?

You're not alone!
BattlingTheBulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've always been a fast eater (one more thing I can blame on my brother--he who finished first got 2nds. You get as many 2nds as you want. My brother, being 8 years older, would often take way too many 2nds, leaving little or none for me, so I'd eat fast to get more).
I try to slow down now so I can enjoy the food more, but I still see that I eat way too fast (but not for 2nds now!!!). I also will use the computer as a distraction to slow me down (this morning, my eggs got cold and I ended up giving them to my dog after only 3 bites!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 AM   #12  

I'm like wndranne, I eat alot of salads and vegetable because you actually need to chew. Hard to rush a salad. Otherwise, I do tend to eat fast too...
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #13  

Default I try to get out of that trap

It's something I've noticed recently--even tho. I have maintained my goal weight for 23 months (yeah, me! ), I am eating much faster than I should. We make an effort (the 4 of us) to eat together every night. I cook (most of the time it's me, sometimes DH) a healthy and balanced meal. Last night we had kasha w/some vegetables mixed in and Dr. Praeger spinach burgers. The kasha was about 30 mins. to cook thoroughly. We all sat down and tried to relax. Well, 4 minutes later (not literally, but you get the point), everyone was done and my son ran off to wherever those 14 year olds go when they want to get away. I'm trying again tonight w/mashed cauliflower (with sauteed garlic and some cheese mixed in) and some kind of protein--probably tempeh.

Anyway, it's frustrating but I don't have too much insight. I am trying to slow down and eat small amounts more frequently. I know I've seen that strategy recommended many times by many people on the board.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #14  

I am always the last one at the table but it's because I always have a baby/toddle/child to cut meat/spoon feed/clean up spilt milk etc.
When I am by myself at breakfast or lunch tho, I also eat very fast.
It's kind of like you're scared there wont be enough!! LOL!

My father in law used to call me hollow leg and my hubby would call me Hoover!
In a nice way of course!
My beloved father in law died before my weight loss, but I know he would have hated to see me lose weight. He was always so conderned about my health and his own two daughters are so overweight.
He always thought I was too skinny.
I miss him so much.
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I eat like a pig at a trough! Usually cos I'm hungry, other times cos it's tasty and some other times because I hate cold food. Is that a problem anyone else has? I can't stand luke-warm vegetables or fish or anything like that! If I take half an hour to eat my dinner, it's gone cold before I finish!

I notice I do eat slower if I'm drinking beer with a meal, because I think that beer tends to make the whole thing taste a lot nicer, and I don't particularly like beer by itself.

And when I eat fast I don't ever feel full. I suppose I should try drinking water between mouthfuls!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote