Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Chicken drumsticks over chicken breasts?

Anyone else rediscover the chicken drumstick??? A month ago I went to visit my parents and we had a barbecue where the main meat was grilled chicken drumsticks that had been marinaded in a Thai-type marinade. They were so good. Anyway, I had to enter it into fitday, and in that process realized that skinless chicken drumsticks are low calorie/low fat!

I had been eating (and spending money on) chicken breasts prior to that, and now I've completely switched to chicken drumsticks -- they're so much cheaper and they taste so good! Most days I have two for dinner in some sort of marinade (jerk's my favorite) or sauce.

I guess I had blinders on...everyone always talks about eating chicken breasts when you're trying to eat healthy, and so I did! Now that I've discovered the drumstick, I'm not planning on going back to chicken breasts any time soon! It's great for the budget and they're healthy, too! I just take the skin off all of them when I bring 'em home and toss 'em in the freezer, two in each bag.

How do you guys feel about drumsticks over chicken breasts?! Anyone else eating them up?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #2  

Height: 5'2"

I am not a huge drumstick fan, but I LOVE chicken thighs. Yummy and cheap.
mlk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I like the dark meat on the chicken, but it always seems to have little pieces of fat attached (esp. the thighs) and I just can't stomach chicken fat--makes me nauseated. Also, I hate dealing with the bones, so I pretty much stick with chicken breasts. And, although both types of chicken are low in calories, breast meat is a little lower and I'm always looking to shave off one more calorie.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #4  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I totally prefer thighs and legs over the breasts. They are so yummy! And they don't get dried out like breasts do. Breasts are so over-rated!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I definitely prefer the breasts. The number one reason for this: I'm lazy I don't like having to peel skin off my meat or try to get as much of it off the bone as I can. Buying it without the bone or skin just makes it that much quicker/easier for me to prepare. I can also buy the 99% fat free chicken breasts, so I know I'm getting as little fat as possible. I also don't necessarily like to eat my chicken plain, and I find breasts much much easier to cut up to use in things like stir-fries, chowders, noodles, sandwiches, etc. So, I guess I enjoy the versatility of the boneless skinless chicken breast. Besides just using different flavors, I can really make many different meals out of them.

Also, the breast meat does have slightly more protein, less fat, and fewer calories per ounce than the leg or drumstick (according to CalorieKing--for my comparisons, I chose the "meat only, roasted" option for each part of the chicken). It might not be a big enough difference to some people, but I'm trying to get in at least 100g of protein each day, so every bit counts!

Just weighing in that chicken breasts aren't overrated to everyone
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I also prefer the breasts. The meat is actually better quality-higher protein and lower fat ounce per ounce.
I prefer "white" meat anyhow-and choose to eat white meat always for taste along-dark meat to me just tastes nasty. I hate drumsticks and thighs.....blech.
Chicken breasts don't HAVE to be dried out...it is all in how you cook 'em. If marinated, or cooked properly, they can be just as juicy as dark meat.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #7  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I don't like dark meat just because of the texture. It's not because it's "juicier" than white, I think, it just feels different. Makes my teeth stick together. *shudder*
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/162/120

Height: 5'7"

i think the only reason that the drumsticks seem low calorie is because the amount of meat that is on them. I think if you took 1lb of breast meat vs 1lb of dark meat there would be a big differance with the fat and calories. I should look it up though, just to make sure lol
AmberNichole1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I think Amber is right! I LOVE fried drumsticks WITH the skins on them! lol But I have that maybe once in a blue moon now. It is usually bonelsee skinless for us and we use marinades sometimes or the McCormick No salt chicken seasoning. My hubby even doesn't mind that we eat so much chicken.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I sometimes use the thighs or drumsticks, especially if making a meal that calls for chicken broth. They are very inexpensive. But, most of the time I use the boneless , skinless chicken breasts because they are easier to use.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #11  
Calorie Counter

I think the legs are great on the budget, and if a couple fill you up that is great! My husband loves the legs. My self I won't eat anything with bones in it. (I love steak but cant eat a t-bone. Any fish I eat has to be boned (a piece here and there is okay, but not every other bite. Why am I like this? I don't know.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Well what I do is it usually goes on sale at least once a month for like 1.77 - 2.00 a pound. I snag it up and stick a bunch in the freezer!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Don't get me wrong, I do like chicken breasts too! If I eat out or at someone's home where multiple chicken pieces are available, I pretty much always take the breast. However, right now money is tight, and I can eat 2 skinless chicken drumsticks with dinner for basically pennies, and only spend about 150 calories and 4 or 5 grams of fat. With some good jamaican jerk seasoning, they're delicious. It only takes about 2-3 seconds to remove the skin from a drumstick, so it's not a big burden for me. I just think that we often forget that chicken breasts are not the only option.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

This summer I started craving chicken drumsticks. I think it was because for me it is a comfort food that I can eat while still dieting. Lately I have been using dark meat (legs and thighs) in chicken soup. It is a lot less expensive then using breast (I can normally find it on sale from anywhere between $.59 and $.79 a pound). Normally I make my soup in the crock pot the evening before I plan on eating. So if I wanted soup tomorrow I would start making it when I get home today and put the veggies, meat, and broth in the crock pot then tomorrow all I will have to do is warm it up, add noodles and seasoning and be good to go. I find that it is really helpful for me to do when I know I’m going to have a late day.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM   #15  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I love chicken thighs in the crockpot with a little tomoato sauce or BBQ sauce, and let them cook all day....YUMMY!!!!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote